Minimal install of XBMC on Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10)
Hallo to all,

other info from xbmc.log:

ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating XBMC.Shutdown()
18:06:33 T:3077965712 M:1462837248 DEBUG: ExecuteXBMCAction : To XBMC.Shutdown()
18:06:33 T:3077965712 M:1462837248 DEBUG: DBus: Creating message to org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power on /org/freedesktop/DeviceKit/Power with interface org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power and method Suspend
18:06:33 T:3077965712 M:1462837248 ERROR: DBus: Error org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power.GeneralError - not authorized

I think the problem is that the only functions available for Shutdown Function
are "Suspend" and "Hibernate" and xmbc try to execute suspend using the new DeviceKit.

But, if i'm not wrong, for reboot and shutdown we need to still use the old method (Hal) because
DeviceKit not support them..

Someone can help?
As I wrote earlier... I believe this
Quote:polkit-auth --user media --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
is not used in 9.11

The error message seem to confirm that,,,
Quote:Error org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power.GeneralError - not authorized

I have done the normal xbmcbuntu setup with the alpha2 and that works fine
but why this command works?

dbus-send --system --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal --type=method_call --print-reply '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer' 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement. Reboot'

I think the problem is :

in XBMC System / power settings
i have only 2 values for "shutdown fuction": hibernate, suspend..
hi @all
I've the same problem like sparapanzi.
The shutdown or reboot dosen't work, with the same errors from sparapanzi.

But I've one difference, in the power settings I could change only between ?0? and ?-1?

Could somebody help?
Hallo,

Other info:

I try to remove GDM from my notebook with Ubuntu 9.10 update at 25/11/2009.
And i have the same problem:

In Ubuntu's Shutdown applet i have "Shutdown" and "Restart" grayed.

Seems that using:
polkit-auth polkit-auth polkit-auth --user <.. some user ..> --grant org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart

in Ubuntu Karmik doesn't help.
With Ubuntu 9.04 works without problems.

GDM in Karmik give new rights (or use different approach)
to the user.

Someone knows how works GDM and/or DeviceKit and/or PolicyKit
in new Ubuntu 9.10 ?

Thanks!
Hey guys. Following these instructions, I'm unable to boot into XBMC and just get the message "Authentication Failure" about a dozen times every time I start my computer. I'm also unable to get the command line, as far as I can tell. Does anybody know what the problem is?

I'm a complete Linux newbie, so it's possible (likely) that I've missed something stupid. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Smile
sparapanzi Wrote:Same thing to me.
I have Ubuntu 9.10 and can't shutdown or reboot from xbmc.

Try

Code:
polkit-auth --user useraswhichxbmcisrunning --grant org.freedesktop.hal.device.systempowermanagement.reboot
polkit-auth --user useraswhichxbmcisrunning --grant org.freedesktop.hal.device.systempowermanagement.shutdown

Best Regards,
Olli
I've noticed same issue with rebooting/suspending and posted it there: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62862

Your tip owagner didn't solve my case

edited:
but this -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=448...stcount=54 solved my issue Smile
MB Gigabyte MA785GM-U2SH, VGA GeForce 9400, CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250, RAM 2GB Geil Green 800Mhz, HDD Samsung F2 500GB, OS Ubuntu x64 Karmic
Hello,

I had the same problem, after the update from alpha2 to beta1:

Suspend/Shutdown doesn't work in my standalone installation.Shocked

The solution was:

apt-get install policykit-1
apt-get install devicekit-power

After that, you can check with "pkaction" that:

org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.suspend
org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop

(for example) are present.

Then you need to add:

root@localhost:~# cat /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla

[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*
ResultActive=yes
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=yes

The file custom-actions.pkla gives the xbmc user access to two actions (seperated by semicolon).
I dont know which security problems this file has, but it worked for me ™.

After that, suspend/shutdown should work. (It worked for me Big Grin)

kroete

PS: some commands for debugging:
dbus-send --print-reply \
--system \
--dest=org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power \
/org/freedesktop/DeviceKit/Power \
org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power.EnumerateDevices

dbus-send --print-reply --system
--dest=org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power
-- /org/freedesktop/DeviceKit/Power
-- / org.freedesktop.DeviceKit.Power.Suspend
Thank you, kroete, your tip works for me, I can again suspending my HTPC Smile
MB Gigabyte MA785GM-U2SH, VGA GeForce 9400, CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250, RAM 2GB Geil Green 800Mhz, HDD Samsung F2 500GB, OS Ubuntu x64 Karmic
spokenrope Wrote:Hey guys. Following these instructions, I'm unable to boot into XBMC and just get the message "Authentication Failure" about a dozen times every time I start my computer. I'm also unable to get the command line, as far as I can tell. Does anybody know what the problem is?

I'm a complete Linux newbie, so it's possible (likely) that I've missed something stupid. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Smile

It turns out that my problem was this line:

exec /bin/login -f xbmc < /dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1 2>&1

Elsewhere in the setup we were told to replace "xbmc" with our user names, but not on this line. Once I made that change, I was golden.

Thanks for the great guide, Springy!
root@localhost:~# cat /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla

[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*
ResultActive=yes
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=yes

Thank you !!! It works for me too !

To enable restart and shutdown is essential to use :

org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*

because devicekit not handle restart and shutdown
jonassw: You said you had a ATI Radeon 4200 in a post. How did the opensource drivers work for you? It was real slow and jerky on mine until I installed the propreitary drivers, now it's smooth.

Nice how-to....I'm not to worried about the shutdown issues, but here's what I can't figure out, I'm obviously not doing something correct.

I have an M4A785G motherboard which has the Radeon 4200 built in. Works great in my small Antec case. I have the resolution set to 1280x720. When I have my Samsung montitor plugged in to the VGA port and the HDMI cable going to the Sony TV, it works great. The ATI see's both montiors. Works everytime.

Now, when I unplug the monitor and reboot, nothing, nada is on the TV, even though I have defined the screen resolution. It even takes a lot longer to boot, but nothing is displayed on the TV screen. When I do plug in the monitor, it's out of it's sync range.

Any ideas?
Tried the guide but i get stuck here:

sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-skin-* xbmc-eventclients-* xbmc-scripts-*
Läser paketlistor... Färdig
Bygger beroendeträd
Läser tillståndsinformation... Färdig
Observera, väljer xbmc-skin-default för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-skin-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-skin-confluence för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-skin-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-skin-pm3-hd för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-skin-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-skin-pm3 för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-skin-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-eventclients-dev för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-eventclients-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-eventclients-common för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-eventclients-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-eventclients-j2me för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-eventclients-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-eventclients-ps3 för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-eventclients-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-eventclients-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-eventclients-xbmc-send för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-eventclients-*"
Observera, väljer xbmc-scripts-example för det reguljära uttrycket "xbmc-scripts-*"
Några paket kunde inte installeras. Det kan betyda att du har begärt
en omöjlig situation eller, om du använder den instabila utgåvan
att några nödvändiga paket ännu inte har skapats eller flyttats
ut från "Incoming".
Följande information kan vara till hjälp för att lösa situationen:

Följande paket har beroenden som inte kan tillfredsställas:
xbmc-skin-pm3: Beroende av: xbmc-common (= 9.11~alpha2-karmic1)
E: Trasiga paket
xbmc@HTPC:~$

It says that xbmc-skin-pm3 depends on xbmc-common (swedish)
Any ide?
try "apt-get -f install"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimal install of XBMC on Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10)2