Ripped DVD starts playback then stops
Hi,

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the whole idea of digitizing my DVD collection. I have almost 400 DVDs that I legally own. I've been using DVD shrink to rip them to disk (no compression). While many of them work ok, just as many don't.

Sometimes I find VOB files that aren't much bigger than a few hundred K...typically one of the VOB_1 files are a few hundred MB and that contains the actual movie...but that's an issue for another off-topic post.

The problem I'm having with some of the ripped DVDs is that when I click on them in XBMC (default skin in HD), the video starts and plays the appropriate copyright/warnings, then goes to the main menu. When I click on the "play" menu to start the movie, I'll get one of two responses. Sometimes, if there is additional content to play before the movie starts (such as the THX logo), this will play but then when the movie should start I will get kicked back out to the XBMC library screen where I started.

Other times, once I click on the "play" menu, it will just kick me back out to the library screen.

I can go into the directory and click on the correct VOB file and play the movie with another player for these movies, so I know the rips are OK. I'm assuming there's something wrong either with the VIDEO_TS.NFO file or for some reason XMBC can't play back these VOB files.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this issue?

Most other files play just fine.

Thanks for your help.

BTW--I'm on the latest stable release of XBMC running on Windows XP SP3
Sorry for this but ...bump!

Almost nothing is playing back. I click on the movie, it goes to the main menu, once I click on play I get kicked back out to the xbmc library screen. What's going on??

I tried changing resolutions after reading something about movies not playing if the resolution doesn't match but that didn't do anything.

I also noticed that when playing one of the movies by selecting the VOB file from the directory that the main movie VOB was something like VTS_06.vob when I usually find the main movie under VTS_01.vob. Could this be some sort of copy protection that messes up the link between the video_ts.nfo file and the actual vob file??

Thanks for any help or pointers you might be able to give me. XBMC is EXACTLY what I need...but I need it to work.
debug logs are good. If you want your question answered, read my signature and click the link on how to post a problem for XBMC in Windows usefully.
Ok, I think I checked all of the sources you referenced and still can't find the answer. Here is the info requested:

-XBMC Version 9.04.1 r20672
-Windwos XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)
-Dual Core AMD OPteron Model 1210 1.80 GHz 64-bit
-3.25GB RAM (4GB installed)
-NVIDIA Gforce 7600 GS
-Video Driver Version 6.14.11.7813
-Presonus INspire external Audio Interface
-WDM driver 2.46.0.0
-PM3.HD Skin
-pastbin log info:
http://pastebin.com/m7bc6e44d

Output from Mediainfo:
eneral
Complete name : V:\RIP\MOVIES\GODFATHER\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
Format : DVD Video
Format profile : Menu
File size : 8.00 KiB

Video
ID : 0xE0
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 1
Bit rate mode : Variable
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC

Please let me know if any other info is required.

Thanks for your help!
Two tips:
1) if you want to keep the stable version disable the upnp server, remove the -p from the window shortcut and try again.
2) recommendation would be even if it's still alpha try the new Camelot release
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Ok, I tried the recommendations above and neither worked! Shut down the upnp server and tried. Still kicked out once the movie vob was to play. Then kept the upnp server off and took out the -p flag. This time the app did not start in full-screen HD mode but still the file did not play.

I just upgraded to the latest Camelot release and still nothing!

What the heck am I doing wrong? I used DVD Shrink to rip the movies with no compression (8GB for each movie).

I can view the movies using another player (VLC and Nero Show Time Essentials).

I can also view the movies just fine on my Popcorn Hour Media Tank media player with the directory network mounted. It doesn't seem to be the RIPs as far as I can tell.

AHHH! XBMC is EXACTLY what I need but what am I doing wrong!?!?
Did a little more checking. I am able to play a few (very few) of the ripped DVDs. I'm almost wondering if it's a widescreen vs. fullscreen issue but I also tried playing movies that offered a menu item to play either and the fullscreen also crashed.

I've copied another log file to pastebin showing the successful playback of one of the ripped movies followed by an unsuccessful attempt.

http://pastebin.com/d1dda7b77
Is there anywhere that I can get more info on XBMC error messages? I can only assume that the problem I'm encountering is in this section of the log:

19:49:45 T:2996 M:2613657600 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
19:49:45 T:2996 M:2613657600 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
19:49:45 T:2996 M:2613657600 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(teletext):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
19:49:45 T:2996 M:2613637120 WARNING: WARNING: File is larger than 32bit stat can handle, file size

will be reported as 0 bytes
19:49:45 T:2996 M:2613637120 WARNING: WARNING: File is larger than 32bit stat can handle, file size

will be reported as 0 bytes
19:49:45 T:2996 M:2613219328 ERROR: Error getting next block: Error reading NAV packet.
19:49:45 T:2996 M:2613219328 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()

I'll guess that the "error getting next block" is the culprit but without any more info on what the heck that means I'm still dead in the water.

I'm going to try to blow away the database and recreate it to see if that helps but other than that I have no idea where to turn next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
fat32 formatted ? if so thats likely the problem.
Thanks for the recommendation. It made me realize that this drive was originally formatted as an EXT-2(3) drive because I was originally going to use it on a linuxMCE machine but found XBMC instead. I am running windows XP but have the IFS driver mounting the EXT filesystem and it's been working fine elsewhere.

I did try copying one of the ripped DVD directories to a normal NTFS formatted drives and still get exactly the same results. For kicks, I'll run another debug log trying the same movie on each filesystem just to see if there are any different errors when I get a chance.

Very frustrating...

Thanks for the thought though!
Here's another try.

I copied a DVD file structure from the EXT filesystem drive to an NTFS formatted drive. I even removed the spaces in the directory name just in case. It still didn't work, though I think I may be getting a different error.

I then played the one movie that does work...one that was ripped in exactly the same way as the first movie. This movie is contained on the EXT filesystem drive. It plays fine.

I've uploaded the log file below.

I have since added an external player to at least be able to play the movies but really need to get this figured out since I am hoping to control XBMC via a remote on the network. If I use an external player, the network remote wont' work.

Can anyone help!?!?

Thanks

http://pastebin.com/m260285e7
I don't know if it will be related but on my xbox (s) with recent builds dvd playing from a samba share has been an issue... to workaround I increased the cache, change to a simple skin and finally (most important) reduce the upscaling from 1080 to 720.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ripped DVD starts playback then stops0