Lowest spec 1080p capable computer using PCI version of NVIDIA 8400GS or similar?
Thumbs Up 
Hi Everyone.

I just got a PCI version of the nvidia 8400 GS. In the interests of science, I decided to see how it would go in an old p3 I had lying around.

Damn me if it didn't work. 1080P movies ran flawlessly with 40% cpu utilization.

The end result:
Pentium 3 - 933mz
nvidia 8400 GS
512mb of ram
2gb flash disk to boot off
Network server with 2.8tb of stuff
Awesomeness

Who can go lower?
I just pulled my old computer out of my closet and got XBMC running on it and it runs 1080p flawlessly as well. It is AMD 3200+, 1 gig ram, BFG 7950GT OC, Windows 7.
XBMC System:
Windows 7, E8400, 2GB Ram, 8800GTS, 12.3 “Frodo”, Aeon Nox 4.1.9

Gaming Rig:
Windows 7, i72600k, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6950 2 GB, 128GB SSD.
sempron 2800 + PCI Geforce 8400 from Sparkle - OK
Nvidia Shield
kodi 18.1 RC1
AMD Geode NX 1500 processor (1 GHz)
512 MB Ram
eVGA PCI Geforce 8400 GS
Works perfect
Cheap old Dell (3.2Ghz) + New NVIDIA 210 (this 210 really rocks, and as I mentioned in an earlier thread, it's very cool-running and only $39 at NewEgg)
I tried a Sparkle Nvidia 8400GS PCI in an old dual Pentium 233MMX (yes dual Pentium 1 at 233MHz! Big Grin Tyan Tomcat IV mobo ) but sadly the BIOS seems to not recognize the graphics card as I get no picture. Sad
RKMFlorida Wrote:Cheap old Dell (3.2Ghz) + New NVIDIA 210 (this 210 really rocks, and as I mentioned in an earlier thread, it's very cool-running and only $39 at NewEgg)

Which model is suitable? I've been looking at at GX280 SFF but wasn't sure if the included PSU would be enough.
Do you think this will hold?

Pentium 4, 3,2 GHz
1GB RAM
PowerColor Radeon HD 3650 512MB DDR2 (AGP)

Petter
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
not unless you plan to use the dsplayer when/if that works out well. (since ati-cards dont't have HW-acclr decoding on linux)
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
watzen: not unless you plan to use the dsplayer when/if that works out well. (since ati-cards dont't have HW-acclr decoding on linux)

Don`t understand what you meen?
I was thinking of running Windows and MP Classic. Have heard that this player can use the GPU instead of the CPU on video decoding.
Use it as external player in XBMC.

Is this totaly wrong?
@Petter - just trust us. You can go with the ATI (and a model that isn't particularly strong enough) and be stuck having to use the external app and the new problems along with that, or you can got with an NVIDIA, spent $40 on a new card, and it'll be easy-breezy.

I wish I had the 12+ hours of my life back, that I lost trying to get lesser video cards working.

@Johnnyfive - No, forget those power-hogging chips. Just buy the NVIDIA GeForce 210, which is brand new and designed for HTPC's. It's performance is like that of a much more power-hungry card, yet MUCH less heat/power required. I run it on a cheap little 150watt power supply (or something to that effect) that came with the old Dell. It's about the cheapest power you can get, and it runs fine.

There is not additional power-connection required. Better yet, at this price, how can you go wrong? If you're not sure, check one of the benchmark sites, like TomsHardware, etc -- you'll see this thing compared to the much more expensive cards, and it's amazing how well it does, relative to the size/price/heat.
RKMFlorida Wrote:@Johnnyfive - No, forget those power-hogging chips. Just buy the NVIDIA GeForce 210, which is brand new and designed for HTPC's. It's performance is like that of a much more power-hungry card, yet MUCH less heat/power required. I run it on a cheap little 150watt power supply (or something to that effect) that came with the old Dell. It's about the cheapest power you can get, and it runs fine.

Oh I see. I didn't know that the GeForce 210 was more power efficient. Thanks a lot!
what about an old dual pentium pro 200mhz box in my closet. Think it will work? =P

I have an apple ][e somewhere... if only it had a pci slot!

Lets race to the bottom!
Well, in summary...

I'd be willing to say that ANY CPU compatible with a motherboard that offers PCI x16, will 1080p under Linux, as long as you have one of these recent GeForce cards.
Ok, Nvidia is the thing.
But I do not have PCI Express, I just have the AGP port on this old PC.
What card is to use then?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lowest spec 1080p capable computer using PCI version of NVIDIA 8400GS or similar?0