Lowest spec 1080p capable computer using PCI version of NVIDIA 8400GS or similar?
Well, my first post was using the Nvidia 8400 GS PCI version, that would be my recommendation
For normal PCI?
Not PCI eXpress?
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
Well need to update mine. My computer is struggling a bit at times. Tried streaming 1080p from the CBS plugin and it had a lot of trouble. I am going to double it up to 2 gigs of ram and see if that helps.
XBMC System:
Windows 7, E8400, 2GB Ram, 8800GTS, 12.3 “Frodo”, Aeon Nox 4.1.9

Gaming Rig:
Windows 7, i72600k, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6950 2 GB, 128GB SSD.
pettergulbra Wrote:For normal PCI?
Not PCI eXpress?

Definitely normal PCI. The Pentium 3 was not know for it's PCIe slots Smile
If I`m not blind, I can`t find any Nvidia cards i Norway for the PCI slot.

Is there an AGP card that is to recomand?
I spent a fair bit of time looking for an agp card but the best information I found was that they didn't make them.

In the end I ordered the pci card from the US ebay ( I live in Australia)
Ok, but I think that is a little bit strange. Because, if I don`t have the wrong info, the AGP slot is faster than the PCI. Thats wy i think this sound a little bit wrong.
Maybe that is wrong of me, but I`m still looking for answers.

By the way, here in norway I can`t find any place to buy that card, or somthing simulare.

Kindly

Petter
Would this card support dxva? If it is what I meen.

XFX GeForce 6200A 256MB DDR2
What skins are you guys running on P4 + 8400GS rigs? Any chance some version of AEON is smooth?

I can get a free Dell from work consisting of:

P4 2.8ghz
512mb RAM
DVD-ROM
No HDD

Was planning on adding a PCI 8400gs + PCI SPDIF sound card + MCE Remote and running Live or Ubuntu from a USB thumb drive. All media will be accessed from a network share.

Is Live from USB persistent? How about on Ubuntu 9.04 (wouldn't mind setting it up as a NAS and BT client also)?
Anyone?
pettergulbra Wrote:If I`m not blind, I can`t find any Nvidia cards i Norway for the PCI slot.

EVGA GeForce 9400GT 1024MB PhysX CUDA
PCI, DDR2, DVI, HDCP, Graphics Plus

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=513198

pettergulbra Wrote:Is there an AGP card that is to recomand?
Unfortunately, it seems not. Nvidia has given up the agp platform a long time ago with the 7xxx series - which doesn't support VDPAU - being the latest.

ATI delivers up to 4xxx series on AGP with excellent hardware support, but no VDPAU acceleration that gives us the opportunity to benefit from hardware acceleration in linux. AFAIK it doesn't accelerate in XBMC windows either as XBMC even in windows relies on OpenGL, not DirectX VA.

Frankly I find it stange that no vendors seems to want to tap in to the agp market for people who have an old, decent AGP system otherwise perfect for HTPC use staying around.

Would be perfect if we saw an PCI or AGP implementation of the new broadcom Crystal HD chips (http://xbmc.org/davilla/2009/12/29/broad...its-magic/) but despite me asking in the articles respective forum thread - I haven't gotten any answers to suggest that this might be a possibility.
Vould this EVGA card supprot dxva. So I can use an external player in windows that support that?

And I see that there is not any HDMI output on it. Thats why I wonder.

Kindly
pettergulbra Wrote:Ok, but I think that is a little bit strange. Because, if I don`t have the wrong info, the AGP slot is faster than the PCI. Thats wy i think this sound a little bit wrong.
AGP would be better for me too. Never mind :-( .

But anyway, I'm up for this as a bit of fun. I've got two old PCs I could give this a blast on. A couple of questions, though:
1. I can see plenty of places (in the UK) selling PCI versions of the 8400GS, but not with HDMI output (only DVI). Anyone seen such a beast?
2. One of my PCs would require a low profile PCI card, any sign of one of those? ...with HDMI output?

Am I SOoL?
The NVIDIA 210 that I mentioned earlier -- is a HALF-HEIGHT card that does NOT require any extra power, etc. It's the ideal all-around card, and only $50.

I've never seen an 8400* with HDMI and I really doubt you'd see them. However, there are plenty of DVI-to-HDMI cables and the only thing you lose, is the sound transmission over the same cable (which really is a pain anyway, it's much easier to take an alternative avenue for that).
RKMFlorida Wrote:The NVIDIA 210 that I mentioned earlier -- is a HALF-HEIGHT card that does NOT require any extra power, etc. It's the ideal all-around card, and only $50.
Sounds good. Have you got any more details? Can you post a pointer to it - I can't find a PCI version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lowest spec 1080p capable computer using PCI version of NVIDIA 8400GS or similar?0