[LINUX] HOW-TO Enable Cyberlink Remote with all buttons
Strange im not having any of these problems on my revo Xbmc 9.11 B1. Had to map some functions like display and context menu by Lircmap.xml though.
Silv8rfox Wrote:Strange im not having any of these problems on my revo Xbmc 9.11 B1. Had to map some functions like display and context menu by Lircmap.xml though.

That is strange. I followed the steps on the first page to the letter, I did it all using SSH and nano.

If it's not too much trouble perhaps you could post your working files?

If not I'll give the other method a try, but I'm so close that it would be nice to stick with this system if possible.
My HTPC setup:
Hardware: Abit AN-M2HD / Athlon x2 4600+ / 2GB RAM / NV 8600GT (silent) / 250GB HDD / Winfast DTV1000T
Software: Ubuntu 8.06 / XBMC SVN / MythTV
New! Acer Revo running Live Alpha 2 perfectly!
You might want to mention to people who already have lirc installed (i.e. XBMCLive users) to type:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

in order to get the lirc configuration menu up.
Most played tunes last week:
XBMC + lastfm = goodness :D
MrDohnuts Wrote:The only issue I have is that I can't use the on-screen keyboard, e.g. to type in the path of a network share. I've gotten around this by plugging in the keyboard but it would be useful if it could be made to work properly. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Go to System -> System -> Input devices and activate "Rmote control sends keyboard presses". It works! Smile
Got it working!!

But the DVD/ MUSIC/ PICTURES coloured buttons at the top don't work - should they?

Also in File Manager, with the Wii remote I used to be able to mark files and move/copy etc but I can't do that now... I can only delete using the clear key.

So near and yet....

Thanks for your help Smile
maxim_k Wrote:Go to System -> System -> Input devices and activate "Rmote control sends keyboard presses". It works! Smile

BINGO! That did the trick - thanks maxim_k
My HTPC setup:
Hardware: Abit AN-M2HD / Athlon x2 4600+ / 2GB RAM / NV 8600GT (silent) / 250GB HDD / Winfast DTV1000T
Software: Ubuntu 8.06 / XBMC SVN / MythTV
New! Acer Revo running Live Alpha 2 perfectly!
I could kiss you!!

Thanks a million
Is there a way to get the audio and subtitle buttons to toggle though all the available streams (and also off in the case of subtitles)?
Thumbs Up 
Thank you for the excellent post.
My Cheapo cyberlink is now working perfectly.

One ammendment might be that gedit is not installed by default in xbmc live 9.11 Instaead can use txt editors like Vi or nano. Or as in my caseI just wrote them in notepad and SFTP'd them over to my box.
maxim_k Wrote:Go to System -> System -> Input devices and activate "Rmote control sends keyboard presses". It works! Smile

Any idea where to find this in Karmic Koala? Having some trouble. Thanks!
n1c3jack3t Wrote:Any idea where to find this in Karmic Koala? Having some trouble. Thanks!
It is not in Karmic Koala settings, it is in XBMC itself. I mean system prefs in XBMC.
These instructions worked perfectly on my Ubuntu 9.10 box. Thanks!
MrLux Wrote:Hi all,

Last week I bought myself a Cyberlink Remote control + USB receiver. After searching the net for some tutorials on how to use this on Ubuntu 9.10 + XBMC 9.11 Alpha I came to the conclusion this wouldn’t be easy. For this reason I’m posting this howto for all the other people who will have the same problem.
Since kernel 2.6.29 there is a driver build into the kernel for this remote (with is handy Big Grin)

Step one - Install Lirc:

Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc

Step two - Configure lirc /dev/input/eventX

After installing lirc it will ask you for the type of remote. The cyberlink is not in the list so I just selected a “hauppauge nova-t 500” and as device I selected /dev/input/eventX where X is the mouse and keybord combination device detected in linux when the cyberlink remote in plugged in.

To get the device number type:

Code:
grep -l 'TopSeed' /sys/class/input/input*/name | tail -n1

If you want to see all the devices type:

Code:
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Step four – Overwrite default config:
Ok so now we know which device we need to use.
Because we selected the “hauppauge nova-t 500” remote lirc has configured some stuff for us. This we need to overwrite with the configuration I found on the internet.

Type:
Code:
Sudo gedit /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

Enter you root password.
Overwrite the file with this code and replase the X in (REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/eventX") with your event number:

Code:
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="CYBERLINK"
REMOTE_MODULES=""
REMOTE_DRIVER="devinput"
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/eventX" # ENTER YOU EVENT NR HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS="--device=`grep -l 'TopSeed' /sys/class/input/input*/name | tail -n1 | sed -e s'|/name||' | sed -e s'|sys/class/input/input|dev/input/event|'` --driver=dev/input"

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""

Save this file.

see second post for the rest

I can get to step 4 but i'm using XBMCLive so only have access to the terminal session. Is there a way for me to get this info onto my revo without typing it.

I have USB and DVD access.

thanks
bark02 Wrote:I can get to step 4 but i'm using XBMCLive so only have access to the terminal session. Is there a way for me to get this info onto my revo without typing it.

I have USB and DVD access.

thanks

I use Putty to remote into xbmc from another box, edit the file with nano and then just copy the text and paste it all in with a right click in the terminal window.
I also have XBMC LIVE and Amphetamine says above if you download putty you can copy and paste the necessary text into the files.

Alternatively download winscp which is a secure ftp client (SFTP). You will find that like telnet secure ftp is enabled by default on XBMC LIVE. Once connected as the root user (username = root) you can ftp files to and from your XBMC LIVE.

NB you may need to change the root password first if not already done. To do this telnet to your XBMC machine and login with the username and password you created when installing XBMC LIVE. then type the following command:

Code:
sudo passwd root

Hope that helps.

PS when downloading winscp not there is a portable version that requires no installatio (like putty).

WINSCP Download
Putty Download

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO Enable Cyberlink Remote with all buttons0