How to mount NFS share in XBMC Live? (Asrock ION/ Synology Diskstation)
I have a Synology Diskstation DS-207 which supports NFS. I have an Asrock ION with XBMC Live 9.11 alpha on it (USB Stick). The throughput from samba shares is insufficient sometimes (100Mbit LAN).

I want to mount the NFS share i set up on the Diskstation, but i'm a linux noob.

I found this, but i don't understand it:
Code:
How to mount NFS share in XBMC 9.04

1. sudo apt-get install portmap nfs-common
   2. sudo vim /etc/fstab
      add
      ServerIP:/nfs export /mount point nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
   3. sudo vim /etc/rc.local
      add
      added the “mount -a” just before the exit 0
   4. sudo reboot

I think a noob tutorial on how to do this would be great.

Questions:
- Can this be done on XBMC LIVE? Where can i find the command line? Pressing "c" on the boot selection screen gives me a prompt, but that doesn't understand the command "sudo"?
- Do i need Ubuntu and install XBMC on that instead of just XBMC LIVE?
- What are the exact commands if my Diskstation has IP 192.168.1.1 and i want to share the folder "Video"?

Can anyone please help?
Using Putty or equivelant open a terminal and login to your XBMC Live

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61464

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50489
CTRL-ALT F2. Alternatively use putty from a different pc, enter ip adress and linux account.

I am also interested. DVD menu's take up to a minute to launch here. I heard with NFS that is way faster but I don't understand it either.

BounceMeister Wrote:Where can i find the command line?
this really has nothing to do with xbmc at all, so you might have better luck at the ubuntu forums. Nonetheless, you just have to add a line to your /etc/fstab with the info as you posted. This was useful to me when I first needed to know how: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/
To get you quick answer, this is how I have it setup:

create a file in your home directory called nfs_share:

Code:
touch ~/nfs_share

make the file executable:

Code:
chmod +x ~/nfs_share

edit the file and put your shares there

Code:
pico ~/nfs_share

here is the content of mine for example:

Code:
mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/media/misc /media/misc
mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/media/music /media/music

where 192.168.0.1 is IP address of my box with nfs share and after colon /media/misc is a share point , last /media/misc is local directory on your XBMClive box where it needs to be mounted so these directories has to exist first, save and close

to create directories:

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/misc

Now you have to call your nfs_share file when system is booting. I am not sure about XBMClive but on regular ubuntu I added a file to /etc/rc2.d/

Code:
sudo pico /etc/rc2.d/S99nfs_startup

and out this in there

Code:
#/bin/bash
sleep 5
~/nfs_share

sleep 5 is there because for whatever reason my network is not up fast enough, you can probably skip that line

save and close, make that file executable:

Code:
sudo chmod +x /etc/rc2.d/S99nfs_startup

you can do all that using putty or with the console like kees667 suggested
Thanks for the clear info, also useful to me. My shares have a logon ans password, do you know in which steps and how I'd have to include those?
You should not need to use the username and password. You generally have to enable the IP addy of the xbmc box on the server for NFS access. then xbmc should be able to connect to it.
I tried it. all goes well except the last step. I get:

chmod: cannot access `pico': No such file or directory

I think the pico shouldn't be there, as that is the text editor. I guess chmod is the command and it should run on the file so I changed to
Code:

That didnt give errors. Will go downstairs now and reboot. Then Check if I can find it in XBMC. Will post results here.

Thanks for getting me this far!

EDIT: Went downstairs. System booted but I don't know how to see the shares. Adding source doesn't bring up anything that looks like NFS, and if I select network adress I can select a lot of things from itunes to SMB but also no NFS. Haven't searched yet but if someone knows ....

uomiarz Wrote:save and close, make that file executable:

Code:
sudo chmod +x pico /etc/rc2.d/S99nfs_startup
kees667 Wrote:I tried it. all goes well except the last step. I get:

chmod: cannot access `pico': No such file or directory

I think the pico shouldn't be there, as that is the text editor. I guess chmod is the command and it should run on the file so I changed to
Code:

That didnt give errors. Will go downstairs now and reboot. Then Check if I can find it in XBMC. Will post results here.

Thanks for getting me this far!

EDIT: Went downstairs. System booted but I don't know how to see the shares. Adding source doesn't bring up anything that looks like NFS, and if I select network adress I can select a lot of things from itunes to SMB but also no NFS. Haven't searched yet but if someone knows ....

you are correct, my mistake, fixed Smile
pico is the file editor that you don't need in this step
Thx. I still havent figured out what to do in XBMC next, can you tell me please?

Edit: I "Think" I need to browse to "/media/misc". Only problem is when I select "add source" and then browse is that I get many options, most of which are network related and "home folder" but I don't know how to browse to "/media/misc"
kees667 Wrote:Thx. I still havent figured out what to do in XBMC next, can you tell me please?

Edit: I "Think" I need to browse to "/media/misc". Only problem is when I select "add source" and then browse is that I get many options, most of which are network related and "home folder" but I don't know how to browse to "/media/misc"

you can do "add source" and then instead of "browse" just type in the window that says <none>

/media/misc

give it a name you want on a bottom window and you are all set

--

to make sure you actually see your files:

Code:
ls /media/misc

that should list the files from your nfs box
Thanks,

I added the link in XBMC and it worked. However the folder is empty (.. only)

I then quit XBMC and tried: ls /media/misc
It just goes to the next line, no error

All previous steps went well. I just retried sudo mkdir /media/misc and it says it already exists. I guess it just doesnt point to my NAS yet.

Never used NFS before but sure it is enabled on my nas. NAS ip is 192.168.1.30 and samba path is smb://nas/private (where private is folder with movies)

I did this

Code:
xbmc@dhcppc3:~$ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.30:/private /media/misc
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.1.30:/private,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

I had to add sudo or it wouldnt do anything. Sudo is not in the first part of the guide here (where the command is stored in a file), does that matter?

Did I type something wrong?
you might be missing nfs support in ubuntu Smile

Code:
sudo apt-get install nfs-common

then try this again

Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.30:/private /media/misc

note that "misc" was just an example from my setup you can have
/media/movies or whatever different name you want
Thanks! I am shutting down here, will try tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far. I think we are close. Could then help others as well.
I tried installing it, but I get this:

Code:
xbmc@dhcppc3:~$ sudo apt-get install nfs-common
[sudo] password for xbmc:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package nfs-common is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package nfs-common has no installation candidate

I installed from LIVE 9.11b1 cd. I googled and I think this may be related to my sources. As a noob I don't want to mess this up now.

I tried this:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
Which brings up an empty file. I remembered this from my previous XBMC install which I did from a script. So not sure if this being empty now means anything

and this:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

which gives me:
Code:
xbmc@dhcppc3:~$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
  GNU nano 2.0.9          File: /etc/apt/sources.list

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10 _Karmic_ - Build i386 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 2009$

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to mount NFS share in XBMC Live? (Asrock ION/ Synology Diskstation)1