• 41(current)
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC
Just checked it, I've got a Samsung SpinPoint M7 HM500JI.
I must say, this version of XBMC is about 10 seconds faster than the Live build, but i have a few questions.

1.) I tried searching google and this thread but couldn't find anything. How can I mount / as RW? I need to copy my lirc config files over to get my remote to work (on live I was using the harmony_kls_vdr config, but I can't edit the files on here) I also tried copying the files that normally went in my /etc/lirc folder (hardware.conf and lirc.conf) to the ./storage/.config folder, but that didn't do anything.

2.) Can I replace the splash screen with the one from the new Dharma live images? (the XBMC logo)?

3.) is there a way to get Sftp working on this? i used to use filezilla for copying files but it doesn't work anymore.

Other than that, looks great so far!

Oh and for anyone looking for a comparison, even though my time to interface in my sig says 22.4 seconds, with the latest dharma it went up to around 35-37 seconds. With the x64 build of openelec.tv version, it's around 24.6 from power button till alaska pops up... much quicker.

Edit: regarding the remote, it seems it detects my receiver, because running evtest /dev/input/event2 results in the following:
Code:
root /etc/eventlircd.d # evtest /dev/input/event2
Input driver version is 1.0.0
Input device ID: bus 0x0 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (1784:0008)"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (Sync)
  Event type 1 (Key)
    Event code 28 (Enter)
    Event code 103 (Up)
    Event code 105 (Left)
    Event code 106 (Right)
    Event code 108 (Down)
    Event code 111 (Delete)
    Event code 113 (Mute)
    Event code 114 (VolumeDown)
    Event code 115 (VolumeUp)
    Event code 116 (Power)
    Event code 119 (Pause)
    Event code 128 (Stop)
    Event code 148 (Prog1)
    Event code 164 (PlayPause)
    Event code 167 (Record)
    Event code 168 (Rewind)
    Event code 174 (Exit)
    Event code 207 (Play)
    Event code 208 (Fast Forward)
    Event code 210 (Print)
    Event code 212 (Camera)
    Event code 224 (Brightness down)
    Event code 225 (Brightness up)
    Event code 352 (Ok)
    Event code 358 (Info)
    Event code 365 (EPG)
    Event code 366 (PVR)
    Event code 368 (Language)
    Event code 369 (Title)
    Event code 370 (Subtitle)
    Event code 372 (Zoom)
    Event code 377 (TV)
    Event code 385 (Radio)
    Event code 386 (Tuner)
    Event code 389 (DVD)
    Event code 392 (Audio)
    Event code 393 (Video)
    Event code 398 (Red)
    Event code 399 (Green)
    Event code 400 (Yellow)
    Event code 401 (Blue)
    Event code 402 (ChannelUp)
    Event code 403 (ChannelDown)
    Event code 407 (Next)
    Event code 412 (Previous)
    Event code 512 (Numeric 0)
    Event code 513 (Numeric 1)
    Event code 514 (Numeric 2)
    Event code 515 (Numeric 3)
    Event code 516 (Numeric 4)
    Event code 517 (Numeric 5)
    Event code 518 (Numeric 6)
    Event code 519 (Numeric 7)
    Event code 520 (Numeric 8)
    Event code 521 (Numeric 9)
    Event code 522 (Numeric *)
    Event code 523 (Numeric #)
  Event type 4 (Misc)
    Event code 4 (ScanCode)
  Event type 20 (Repeat)
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)

however whenever I press buttons, nothing happens. Do i need to remap my remote in the logitech software to be a standard MCE remote instead of the harmony_Kls_vdr that it had to be for it to work with the regular live setup? FWIW, irw and the evtest commands show no data comming from my remote as is.

Blah...Edit #2: So I just changed the device config in logitech software to "Microsoft Windows Media Center" and updated the remote. it now appears to work in OpenElec XBMC. The problem is, I had some custom commands on the remote, such as update libraries and such. how can I edit the configs to add these back in?
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Hi

Evanrich Wrote:1.) I tried searching google and this thread but couldn't find anything. How can I mount / as RW?

thats not possible, and will be not changed. there is an squashfs filesystem thats readonly. to change anything its needed to build from source.

Evanrich Wrote:2.) Can I replace the splash screen with the one from the new Dharma live images? (the XBMC logo)?

hmmm, if its needed i can add support for userdefined splash images :-)

Evanrich Wrote:3.) is there a way to get Sftp working on this? i used to use filezilla for copying files but it doesn't work anymore.

does filezilla supports scp? with winscp you can switch to scp mode. there is no sftp support and this will be not included, because we have scp support (no need for two identical functions). otherwise you can copy files via samba too.

Evanrich Wrote:The problem is, I had some custom commands on the remote, such as update libraries and such. how can I edit the configs to add these back in?

what "irw" now says? i think its working now. are the buttons detected, you want setup with your additional functions? if this is so you can copy /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/Lircmap.xml to /storage/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/ and change this file (devinput section). if you need additional support with this let me know this :-)
greetings, Stephan

Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't run IRW since changing the remote over to MCE instead of the harmony config I used with the live setup...it took me about an hour of reading on the net to figure out that it now used eventlirc instead of lirc configs. I'll test it tonight to see if IRW produces results now (i can confirm that the remote does work however in XBMC, which is progress)

As for FTP, it wasn't really a requirement, I'm just really used to using filezilla for everything since I use it for dumping files at work. I' used winscp and didn't have any issues, so no problems here

The splash screen is just a nice-to have...I dont want to take away from your work at all, as it's running quite well, just the openelec logo is a little aliased, and the default Live Dharma logo describes the app better (just says XBMC) as it starts up. Again, since it only takes now around 20 seconds to boot this also isn't a huge deal, so don't think to hard on it.

I'll mess with IRW and the remote tonight, but all-in-all...fantastic work! My only request...get it to boot in <15 seconds Smile But I may need a faster SSD for that Big Grin
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Hello all,
I'm still unable to setup the Trust rc 2400 MCE
I got this for evtest, but nothing in the irw
An thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

root ~ # evtest /dev/input/event5
Input driver version is 1.0.0
Input device ID: bus 0x0 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (147a:e017)"
Supported events:
Event type 0 (Sync)
Event type 1 (Key)
Event code 28 (Enter)
Event code 103 (Up)
Event code 105 (Left)
Event code 106 (Right)
Event code 108 (Down)
Event code 111 (Delete)
Event code 113 (Mute)
Event code 114 (VolumeDown)
Event code 115 (VolumeUp)
Event code 116 (Power)
Event code 119 (Pause)
Event code 128 (Stop)
Event code 148 (Prog1)
Event code 164 (PlayPause)
Event code 167 (Record)
Event code 168 (Rewind)
Event code 174 (Exit)
Event code 207 (Play)
Event code 208 (Fast Forward)
Event code 210 (Print)
Event code 212 (Camera)
Event code 224 (Brightness down)
Event code 225 (Brightness up)
Event code 352 (Ok)
Event code 358 (Info)
Event code 365 (EPG)
Event code 366 (PVR)
Event code 368 (Language)
Event code 369 (Title)
Event code 370 (Subtitle)
Event code 372 (Zoom)
Event code 377 (TV)
Event code 385 (Radio)
Event code 386 (Tuner)
Event code 389 (DVD)
Event code 392 (Audio)
Event code 393 (Video)
Event code 398 (Red)
Event code 399 (Green)
Event code 400 (Yellow)
Event code 401 (Blue)
Event code 402 (ChannelUp)
Event code 403 (ChannelDown)
Event code 407 (Next)
Event code 412 (Previous)
Event code 512 (Numeric 0)
Event code 513 (Numeric 1)
Event code 514 (Numeric 2)
Event code 515 (Numeric 3)
Event code 516 (Numeric 4)
Event code 517 (Numeric 5)
Event code 518 (Numeric 6)
Event code 519 (Numeric 7)
Event code 520 (Numeric 8)
Event code 521 (Numeric 9)
Event code 522 (Numeric *)
Event code 523 (Numeric #)
Event type 4 (Misc)
Event code 4 (ScanCode)
Event type 20 (Repeat)
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Evanrich Wrote:Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't run IRW since changing the remote over to MCE instead of the harmony config I used with the live setup...it took me about an hour of reading on the net to figure out that it now used eventlirc instead of lirc configs. I'll test it tonight to see if IRW produces results now (i can confirm that the remote does work however in XBMC, which is progress)

As for FTP, it wasn't really a requirement, I'm just really used to using filezilla for everything since I use it for dumping files at work. I' used winscp and didn't have any issues, so no problems here

The splash screen is just a nice-to have...I dont want to take away from your work at all, as it's running quite well, just the openelec logo is a little aliased, and the default Live Dharma logo describes the app better (just says XBMC) as it starts up. Again, since it only takes now around 20 seconds to boot this also isn't a huge deal, so don't think to hard on it.

I'll mess with IRW and the remote tonight, but all-in-all...fantastic work! My only request...get it to boot in <15 seconds Smile But I may need a faster SSD for that Big Grin

IRW shows correct commands now, I'll have to do some tweaking but i might be able to figure it out Smile Thanks!
I haven't found anyone who's got WiFi working with this build, so is it safe to assume that it's just not supported? If that's the case, I'm definitely among those keeping an eye on updates as it sure does boot fast and I'd be all for it if WiFi worked! Unfortunately for me, LAN isn't an option so I guess I'll just be watching the changelogs.
hi, i using openelec build on some boxes - works perfect!
but i have a question - should you make some "build" which support pvr branch till the official xbmc build support it?
Or, is there some "howto" to down the source and rebuild it in my own?

(i'm working on somethin' called homee - home media entertainment - whole solution, from cabels, boxes, screens, remotes based on xbmc/openelec/whatever which i would like to offer to my customers - of course - if i earn some money from this i will send it to xbmc/openelec ... for this time i'm very deep below zero - trying hardware, remotes, some packages from tw is on the way, my wife screaming when she sees how much money i spent in it... :-D)

regards
w.
Hi There,

Does anyone know when we're likely to see a new snapshot of Openelec including the latest RC1 build of XBMC?

I've noticed that the live source is available on github but have no idea how to convert that into the relevant update files.

Ta,
JJ.
Hi,

JJWonderboy Wrote:Hi There,

Does anyone know when we're likely to see a new snapshot of Openelec including the latest RC1 build of XBMC?

I've noticed that the live source is available on github but have no idea how to convert that into the relevant update files.

Ta,
JJ.

i hope i can release an image the next days. I have spend a lot of work to reorganize my buildsystem to make it more flexible for our development :-). some little tests and i can release this.

for sure you can also build byself from sources, let me know if you have questions regarding this.
greetings, Stephan

sraue Wrote:Hi,

i hope i can release an image the next days. I have spend a lot of work to reorganize my buildsystem to make it more flexible for our development :-). some little tests and i can release this.

for sure you can also build byself from sources, let me know if you have questions regarding this.

That's great news! Thanks, Stephan. If there's a new version coming in the next few days, I'll probably hold off and get that.

Thanks again,
JJ.
I'd actually be interested in a process to roll your own build, for those who are more impatient Smile
Hello! I just tried this distribution of XBMC with my new Shuttle XS35GT.

Everything else seems to work allright, but there´s a strange problem with my remote (HP MCE receiver and Harmony One). XBMC only "picks up" every 3-5th button press from my remote. With XBMC Dharma RC1 it works just fine. OS is installed now onto USB-stick, but that´s not to blame because Dharma RC1 works fine from it. Navigating with keyboard works also fine with OpenELEC.

Any ideas what could be causing this and what to do to fix it? I just tried re-installing, but that didn´t help.
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
BoxFreak Wrote:Hello! I just tried this distribution of XBMC with my new Shuttle XS35GT.

Everything else seems to work allright, but there´s a strange problem with my remote (HP MCE receiver and Harmony One). XBMC only "picks up" every 3-5th button press from my remote. With XBMC Dharma RC1 it works just fine. OS is installed now onto USB-stick, but that´s not to blame because Dharma RC1 works fine from it. Navigating with keyboard works also fine with OpenELEC.

Any ideas what could be causing this and what to do to fix it? I just tried re-installing, but that didn´t help.

lsusb: Bus 005 Device 002: ID 045e:006d Microsoft Corp. eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
BoxFreak Wrote:lsusb: Bus 005 Device 002: ID 045e:006d Microsoft Corp. eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys

what does IRW say when you run it, and press keys on your remote? does it register every key press?
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC8