• 44(current)
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC
EarnheadJ Wrote:Thanks, using that command you are right it shows that folder but how do I change to that dir. I guess because it is hidden I can't just use cd command? And once I get to there how will I copy the files that reside on my windows computer to that folder. Sorry again for the noob questions.

That's fine, learning to wade through a Linux shell can be confusing..

You can 'cd' to the file without any issues, it's only hidden from the directory listing. It (putting a period in front of a name) has no extra security aside from hiding it.

As for getting the files there. You can either 'cp' them from another folder if you've already got them copied over, or you can 'scp' them from your Windows system. Download a program called WinSCP (was the best last time I had to use a Windows box), it will ask for the details that you use to connect to the Linux box with, then simply provide you with an 'Explorer-like' interface to copy the files over. It should also show you the hidden folder, or at least have an option to show it.
Evanrich Wrote:Not a problem, its not that hard to do. I'm a windows guy and with a little help in the openelec forums i was able to get started.

IF you want to use my builds, you'll need to first go grab one of the "snapshots" from the openelec site, and install from that. After that you can either use the released snapshots, or just take my kernel and system files and put them in your .update folder to have it apply the updates.

I'm currently running a full build on all platforms, so either someitme tonight or early tomorrow I'll have more files up.

I downloaded your build, extracted the files, and copied over your System and Kernal files to the .update folder, then rebooted but it still shows the same thing in system info (XBMC 10.0 beta4 r35164 (Compiled Nov. 5 2010). Am I missing a step here somewhere? Just those 2 files are the only ones I need to copy.? Do I need to rename them to Kernel.kernel and System.system? It was your r5362.tar.gz that I downloaded. Huh Jim

Edit: Tried your latest build r5371, I did rename the 2 files, placed them in the .update folder and rebooted. Still not working. Please help. What am I doing wrong? Jim
Right just unboxed my new ZBOX 510/ION2 - looks nice.. I've read the procedure on making an openelec USB boot device, but its first daft question time!

What version do I download?

Being an Xbox user for a hundred odd years I've always just downloaded the xbox version... now I'm confronted with an array of different versions Huh
ION version, either 32 or 64 bit. I normally just use the 32bit no real benefits in running 64bit imho.

http://www.openelec.tv/files/Snapshots/O...25.tar.bz2
Thanks Prae! Big Grin

I read somewhere the CPU was 64bit Huh would the 64bit code be more optimized for the architecture of the CPU perhaps?
if you have 2GB ram user 32bit

if you have 4GB ram or more use 64bit

there are no benefits running 64bit with less then 4GB ram...
Geeba Wrote:Thanks Prae! Big Grin

I read somewhere the CPU was 64bit Huh would the 64bit code be more optimized for the architecture of the CPU perhaps?

X3lectric Wrote:if you have 2GB ram user 32bit

if you have 4GB ram or more use 64bit

there are no benefits running 64bit with less then 4GB ram...

Exactly, again imho, the main benefit of x64 vs x32 is memory management and as most (if not all?) ion products are limited to less than 4GB (normally only 2Gb) then there is no real reason to opt for x64 as a platform.
well some IONS e.g.
Asrock ION 330 familly can use 4GB
ZOTAC IONITX-A-B/C/E/U Motherboard can use upto 4GB
ZOTAC ZBOXHD-ND02-U 4GB
ASUS AT3IONT 4GB

list goes on

Im almost sure that most of the HTPCS are able to use up to 4GB even teh ones that only have a slot for 1 single sodimm (usually barebones HTPC's) but Bios upgrade may be required.

but thers no point to this really thers still many HTPS locked at 2GB or less cause developers cant be arsed to release better bios and I avoid buying from them, usually acer are worst support inUK or non existent in UK. (personal experience)

Like prae5 said 64bit is only good for memory alloction and is a misconception of users to choose 64 bit just because their CPU supports 64bit.

AS a matter of fact 64bit is widely known still today for thje blatant lack of driver support or drivers that are properly written for 64bit...

people get all excited with my cpu is 64bit but then most of applications are ONLY 32bit and drivers mostly 32 bit and you end up getting screwed as a consumer for the lack of clear information on what exactly entails to go 64bit all the way.

note though theres exceptions to that and many 64bit machines works perfectly ok and have good 64bit support, but their few and far inbeween adn we cant afford them...
Hmmm I've used 64bit OS for years.. my games rig is 64bit and alot of games are now 64bit optimized... . but... the ZBOX supports 4Gb RAM and the CPU is a native 64Bit CPU ... its not a 32bit CPU running EMT64 for example...

Just curious on peoples experiences really... maybe I'll try both Big Grin
Geeba Wrote:Hmmm I've used 64bit OS for years.. my games rig is 64bit and alot of games are now 64bit optimized... . but... the ZBOX supports 4Gb RAM and the CPU is a native 64Bit CPU ... its not a 32bit CPU running EMT64 for example...

Just curious on peoples experiences really... maybe I'll try both Big Grin

unless you have 4GB ram you wont notice ANY diffrence in performance, but dont take my word for it.... both me and prae5 shared our experiences

The whole 64 bit works best as a whole not just in part....

Im curious what exactly are you expecting if you install 64 bit on your system... please be concise...
I know about memory restrictions and I see your point... and I'm extremely gratetful for all Prae5's off line help too dont get me wrong... but I would imagine with a 64bit system you'd be better off running 64bit code on it regardless of memory? - I've checked the spec of the cpu and its not like old P4 EMT64... ie a 32bit CPU emulating 64bit support... it is a 64bit CPU. So would you not gain some performance and stability?

If the CPU is 64bit then so will the data bus be 64bit I would imagine.... which would be everything... memory and access to the GFX and HDD?

I know I will see no difference and probable settle on 32bit... but its just thinking aloud...
Hallo, i tested OpenELEC-ION.i386-devel-20101208-r5371 but for me the shutdown only works the 2nd time.

2nd prob i have is.

I use an sql db inside my lan but with OpenELEC all my german characters are gone. Some UTF problem ?
@ GEEBA LOL

oh mate.... read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

the only likely gain is that OS's reserve a portion of the system memory for its use, with a 64 bit cpu that ammount may become less... mabe even not having to access a secondary cache if the data is there, but for what your doing on your system.....

Im not saying that you expressly need to have a 4GB ram to reap benefits of 64 bit architecture...

But on your machine and the way you thinking is gonna work is unrealistic.

But for the hell of it open a new thread and test the hell out of it on both ways and post the data.
EarnheadJ Wrote:I downloaded your build, extracted the files, and copied over your System and Kernal files to the .update folder, then rebooted but it still shows the same thing in system info (XBMC 10.0 beta4 r35164 (Compiled Nov. 5 2010). Am I missing a step here somewhere? Just those 2 files are the only ones I need to copy.? Do I need to rename them to Kernel.kernel and System.system? It was your r5362.tar.gz that I downloaded. Huh Jim

Edit: Tried your latest build r5371, I did rename the 2 files, placed them in the .update folder and rebooted. Still not working. Please help. What am I doing wrong? Jim

did you edit your config file to accept updates?

either use putty, or winscp, log into your box, go to /storage/.config

edit the "update.conf" file
change "autoupdate=no" to "autoupdate=manually", without the quotes.

Also, did you put the file names in CAPS? should be KERNEL and SYSTEM and they go in /storage/.update

Also, what build did you download? ion? generic? intel? which bit version? I only use the ion x64 builds, but if you're using one of the others I can test it out. I'm only doing autobuilds from Stephan's source, so if there is a bug it's in his code.

I just updated mine to the ION x86_64 build 5371 on my site, and it works fine. Let me know if I can be of more help.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Evanrich Wrote:did you edit your config file to accept updates?

either use putty, or winscp, log into your box, go to /storage/.config

edit the "update.conf" file
change "autoupdate=no" to "autoupdate=manually", without the quotes.

Also, did you put the file names in CAPS? should be KERNEL and SYSTEM and they go in /storage/.update

Also, what build did you download? ion? generic? intel? which bit version? I only use the ion x64 builds, but if you're using one of the others I can test it out. I'm only doing autobuilds from Stephan's source, so if there is a bug it's in his code.

I just updated mine to the ION x86_64 build 5371 on my site, and it works fine. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Thanks for responding. Yes I did all of the above. The original snapshot I used was OpenELEC-ION.x86_64-devel-20101105-r4525. I am running it on a Revo 3610. I was thinking of maybe starting from scratch on the sd card. Everything works right now though, just was wanting to update. I guess I could wait until he places another build on his site. Jim

Edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong. When I renamed the 2 files I left the extensions SYSTEM.system, KERNEL.kernel. Stupid me. Anyways corrected that and she updated on reboot. I am a happy man now. Been working on this for a couple days. Thanks for your instructions and your build.
Was just wondering on each reboot the first thing that pops up is "could not open framebuffer no such file or directory". Just wondering if you see this too? It still seems to work fine though. Jim
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC8