[LINUX] Nvidia or AMD / ATI GPU Graphics Controller for use with XBMC under Linux?
live is not supposed to crash, please give us more details of your hardware. I have the impression that something else is wrong with your configuration and not the nvidia card.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego
2gb DDR
ASUS EN210

I have a pointer bit failure when installing Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 both minimal.
Only way to boot them is with nouveau.modeset=0
either way, you need to switch from nouveau to nvidia-current (proprietary) if you want to have VDPAU and XBMC. nvidia-current is also the driver used by the live image which crashes, so it seems that there's probably a hardware-related problem. does windows work on that system? also, it's new to me that the nouveau driver gets loaded when doing a minimal installation, usually there's no xorg or graphics drivers available until you install them via command line.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I get a nouveau driver error each time.
Maybe it comes standard with Ubuntu? I don't really know.
I followed the guidance of x3lectric
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/xci/vi...p?f=11&t=2

I was trying to find out why Dharma Live wasn't working out of the box.

I maybe need to mention that I already succeeded in installing XBMC previously.

I followed the mini guide and applied it on Ubuntu 10.04.1.
To be able to boot I need to set nouveau.modeset=0 in grub or else I get a pointer bit failed error.
from there on I followed the XBMCbuntu guide
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...troduction
Everything worked like a charm and even with LIRC.

The only thing I was looking for is the xbmc plymouth theme.

So I assure you that there is no hardware problem.
Windows 7 installed perfectly on it by the way.

I was just trying to find out why XBMC Live Dharma wouldn't work out of the box.

I know my original post [LINUX] Nvidia or ATI GPU has gone a whole different way.

But because of having these problems I was wondering if I could try ATI or another Nvidia card.

I really want to find out why Dharma Live doesn't work out of the box.

And maybe there are others with problems which I hope to help once I found the problem.

Maybe I can try some things which you could have in mind to solve this.
Honestly it sounds like bad install media. Installed Dharma on a HTPC I am building for family for X-mas (running a little late) and it did the same thing- x problems. Reburned the media, reinstalled, and it worked fine.

Try that before you go crazy.

I'm using a CDRW everytime.

I'll try to burn it to a normal CD but first redownload the iso.
Be sure to use a program that verifies the burn. I get spoiled by that in OSX.

I already burned the ISO with K3B instead of Brasero and with verify written data option.
I beat you to it :-)
And no luck.

At first boot I can see where you have to login normally and then the xbmc autostart goes into action.
And I have a nice black screen.

I'm going to let it run for a while to see if anything changes.
See you later.
I have another question.

Are the Ubuntu repository 195 nvidia drivers enough to support VDPAU?
Or is it advised to use Ubuntu X updates repository?
195 are okay to see if it will work at all, go for it
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
195 does work.
Those are the drivers I installed manually.

I was just wondering if I should install newer drivers.
Btw
Forgot to mention the motherboard I have:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Strange that with my previous setup everything was working.
AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego
MSI K8T Neo2 V2.0
2Gb DDR
NVIDIA Geforce 6800Ultra
Auzentech XPlosion 7.1 DTS Connect

I must say that I still don't have an LCD nor PLASMA nor LED TV
My Sony still does the trick.
So no HDMI input. I use an HDMI to S-Video convertor.

The reason I changed my hardware was to benefit from VDPAU.
As this is not supported by the 6800 I had to change my motherboard and graphics card.

I'm wondering if I really need VDPAU.

What would you guys do?
Stick with the MSI and 6800 which means no VDPAU and S-video?
DragonZeal Wrote:What would you guys do?

You are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

HDMI to S-Video adaptors are some of the worst hacks ever. Digital 2010 going to Analogue 1990 just sounds bad when you say it, so it is no wonder they usually do a terrible job.

Yet there is no current GPUs that I know of that support VDPAU and S-Video, and your CPU certainly doesn't have enough power for true 1080p (or some larger 720p files). But then again you don't need even 720p if your best connection is ancient S-Video. S-Video is an interlaced interface by default!

If I was in your situation, I would put back in the old GPU and hook up via S-Video. I would enjoy SD content and save up. Then when I was ready I would replace the TV with a modern one, throw back in the GT210, and enjoy the 21st century...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Nvidia or AMD / ATI GPU Graphics Controller for use with XBMC under Linux?0