• 10(current)
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard
misterpink Wrote:Its available by itself for $39.99 and free shipping, knock yourself out.

From what I understand, people's reactions to it have been fairly underwhelming. Cheap construction, smaller than expected, no backlighting on the keys, GREY lettering on black keys that is impossible to see in the average media room lighting conditions, and its so symmetrical that you can't tell what direction you are pointing it.

Plus, it's a little bit too minimalist. There's no power or volume buttons.
teaguecl Wrote:Plus, it's a little bit too minimalist. There's no power or volume buttons.

The power is controlled by the Boxee menu and the volume can be turned up in a video by pressing on the up on the pad.
Its a pretty cool remote (wireless, not infer-red) but it does need back lighting
That's what I like about it. It's a RF remote, not IR, which means it does not matter if you have line of sight or not. It's a full qwerty keyboard/pointing device and it can be used in any position without worry of pointing it the right way.

Not too many remotes come with QWERTY and RF these days
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
Peteo Wrote:The power is controlled by the Boxee menu and the volume can be turned up in a video by pressing on the up on the pad.
Its a pretty cool remote (wireless, not infer-red) but it does need back lighting
These are both features of the Boxee software, not helpful for using the remote with other htpc software. Turning the Boxee Box power off through a menu is not what I meant - I meant turning on/off the Television. Also, volume using the nav UP/DOWN only adjusts the volume of the BB itself - not the television.
With regards to RF remotes, I agree with outleradam's comments. That's why I use the Tivo Slide. It's not perfect either, but at least I can map a few keys to use the IR transmitter to do some basic stuff (Power and Volume) on my television itself.
outleradam Wrote:t can be used in any position without worry of pointing it the right way.

While it doesn't have to be pointing at an IR receiver to work since its RF, when you are holding it backwards, it still works fine but pressing right is pressing left, pressing up is pressing down. With the remote being soooo small and symmetrical its a problem. Now there is a boxee logo on the remote that helps you keep it pointed the right way - but you really have to look down at it each time you pick it up to make sure.

I just think there are a ton of keyboard remotes coming to market right now that are way more drool-worthy than the boxee one, which by most accounts of people who actually *OWN* it, has been a major disappointment. Grey letters and no backlight? seriously? And for use with anything other than boxee itself, the lack of any other buttons makes it severely limited at best.
Off Topic Question:

Can someone recommend the best place to buy a Boxee Box? I need one for 3D. Is Amazon the recommended place?

poofy, I'm ashamed of you Image
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
poofyhairguy Wrote:Off Topic Question:

Can someone recommend the best place to buy a Boxee Box? I need one for 3D. Is Amazon the recommended place?

Yes. Amazon was the first seller of the Boxee Box. That is where I would recommend purchasing Cool
Hannes The Hun Wrote:poofy, I'm ashamed of you Image

Sorry Hannes, you know as well as I do that XBMC isn't getting 3D support until the developers buy some new TVs. It is probably not an easy backport from Boxee, as they have done so many funky things with the Boxee interface.

Its not like I am gonna allow the Boxee Box to have even a whiff of my 2D TV and movie stash, and its not like my monster XBMC HTPC is going anywhere!

It is just that 3D at its current state is best used to make friends and family jealous about what they don't have (since there is not enough content to justify it otherwise) and if you are trying to show it off having 3D menus, or more importantly 3D subtitles (****ing Avatar), really helps.

I mean, for the cost of a Boxee Box I can buy one 3D copy of Avatar off ebay. Maybe. In the early adopter world of 3D, the price of a Boxee Box is almost a rounding error.

Plus then I can help hack. It kills me I have nothing real to contribute to the longest thread in my all-time favorite forum.

• 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard0