• 5(current)
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard
ya, it is getting interesting. I just wanna see:

1080p
HD Hulu
XBMC

For under 200$

Seems like the boxeeBox can do this if we can get XBMC running on it.
speedemonV12 Wrote:ya, it is getting interesting. I just wanna see:

1080p
HD Hulu
XBMC

For under 200$

Seems like the boxeeBox can do this if we can get XBMC running on it.

Apparently the BoxeeBox can only do the HD Hulu part thanks to the hardware acceleration of flash in Flash 10.1. If that support is available for Linux (which the BoxeeBox is using), then XBMC ought to be able to do all those items with the AspireRevo as well, for under $200.

Unless they find a way to do DRM (e.g. Netflix streaming) in there, XBMC on an ION or CrystalHD ought to be able to match it's capabilities. Which is why my MSI Wind nettop is looking better and better all the time - with CrystalHD it should be able to handle any media soon, and I can put both a 5.25" DVD drive and a big 3.5" HD in there and still end up around $200 total. If only it had HDMI and optical out...... I suspect ION is likely the best bang for your buck both now and after BoxeeBox comes out.
so all we need is a beta of flash 10.1 on linux and my ubuntu linux revo 1600 can play hd flash from hulu?
speedemonV12 Wrote:so all we need is a beta of flash 10.1 on linux and my ubuntu linux revo 1600 can play hd flash from hulu?

That's the way it's supposed to work, yes. My atom box doesn't have ION or CrystalHD. Not yet anyway - I'll get CrystalHD hardware once that XBMC branch is stable and supported, as the MSI Wind nettop I use has a mini pcie slot unused.

My other box is an AMD box with a NVidia 9400 in it, so it is VDPAU compatible etc. It should be able to handle the HW Flash 10.1 acceleration as well. I'm not rushing rushing to test out the flash beta, but I may try it soon.

Have there been any reports on this forum of Linux HW Flash acceleration working with Hulu and the like?
I did a quick run around youtube and found a couple videos demoing the 10.1 flash beta on ION machines in full screen and it seems to run fine. I just returned my Revo 1600 and will be getting a dual core machine so that it can handle flash, hulu, and 1080p with ease.
With regards to the "open platform" and such.

I think the main reason small units with hd-capabilities have been closed up until now has been their reliance on specific chipsets and DSP's, which is closed and has a $50000 licence fee and hyperexpencive evalboards and such.

The nice thing about the boxee is that it's actually a "normal" ARM cpu with a beefy chipset. And as far as I have heard the Tegra is an "open" platform. So while the BBox won't be developer targeted, I believe it could be easily development enabled...

Now if someone just could release a cheap Tegra 2 eval-/dev-board so one wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to develop on it Wink

Oh yea... I'm also in on a BBox developer fund, atleast for $50, maybe $100, we'll see...

-C-
Hey guys,
I just got back from CES and I was able to spend a decent amount of time at both the D-Link and NVIDIA booths where the BoxeeBox was being shown. I have to say that I was really impressed. The box is pretty small and although I am not in love with the design it does kind of grow on you. The remote was my favorite part of the whole thing. I feel like they nailed it. I was able to chat with Avner Ronen about the box the box and he told me that D-Link spent almost 80% of their budget on the design of the remote. Just like the other reviews out their on the net say the keyboard feels great. Whether or not I get a boxeebox I plan on getting one of their remotes.

The tegra2 platform seems to show a lot of promise. I have not spent enough time with the Boxee Beta vs. a complex XBMC skin to be a true judge on the performance of the hardware but I was impressed with how fluid the UI was running. As far as video playback goes they weren't doing much in the way of demoing that at the show (mostly because content owner's often wander the show and make people stop showing stuff that they don't have permission to showing). They didn't show anything but the UI at the NVIDIA booth but they were showing a brief clip of Disney's Cars in 1080p at the D-Link booth. I know that the clip they were playing was in the .MP4 container but I don't know anything about the bitrate of the file. (I actually crashed one of their demo boxes when I convinced the girl running the demo to press 'O' on the keyboard in hopes of pulling up the codec info about the Cars file. She was nice and didn't really know how to reset the box so I felt really bad that I was responsible for the crash. I helped her power-cycle the box but it took forever to boot since it was booting off of a thumb drive) I tried to get some details about box's ability to decode HD video codecs but the D-Link and Boxee folks couldn't really tell me except to say that the box was still in development and those details would be forthcoming. They did seem to be confident that the box would be able to play 'Blu-ray back-ups.'
I wasn't satisfied with that answer so I finally found someone in the NVIDIA booth that could tell me what I wanted to know. Unfortunately guys the news is not good. The Tegra2 chipset is able to play 1080p High Profile H.264 ... BUT ... according to the guy I talked to at the NVIDIA booth it only has enough MIPS to play High Profile stuff under 10 Mbits/sec (I was able to back this up with the info provided by AnandTech here. AnandTech says "Tegra's video decode processor accelerates up to 1080p high profile H.264 video at bitrates in the 10s of megabits per second." ) This means that most of the Blu-ray rips that are out there on the net that have been re-encoded should work but not straight Blu-ray rips. If this is important to you then ION chipset is still going to be the way to go. I was pretty disappointed to find this out because the footprint and power consumption of the Tegra2 is awesome!
I did learn some other great info from the NVIDIA guy too. You can get a Tegra2 dev board for $400 right now by signing up at developer.nvidia.com/tegra. The dev board is almost identical to the BoxeeBox except that it has a few more ports and 1GB of internal memory vs. 512MB of the BoxeeBox. According to NVIDIA the BoxeeBox should be able to be used as a development platform once it is launched (The NVIDIA guy plans on directing people to the BoxeeBox for development purposes once it is launched because of it's cheaper costs. He also hopes they can sell the dev kits for less in the future once they can be manufactured in China instead of California) I am sorry for the long winded post. If anybody has any questions about something I failed to mention I will do my best to answer them. As for now, it's time to go and watch a movie on my XBMC setup. Big Grin XBMC FTW!
Cool thanks for the info Bahndit.
Hi Bahndit, many thanks for your detailed post.

I am, like you, only interested in the remote. Did you asked them, where to buy only the remote and what it will cost? Will the remote work under linux? Perhaps as "normal HID/Keyboard"?

Regards,
sphere
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Bahndit Wrote:....... The Tegra2 chipset is able to play 1080p High Profile H.264 ... BUT ... according to the guy I talked to at the NVIDIA booth it only has enough MIPS to play High Profile stuff under 10 Mbits/sec .....

thats no good news. Sad
Boxee box hackable to support other OS and gaming ..
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Bahndit:

Any ideas how they are going to store online/user content with no harddrive ? Fanarts, images, etc
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
CrashX Wrote:Bahndit:

Any ideas how they are going to store online/user content with no harddrive ? Fanarts, images, etc

should be no problem to have this in a separate area of the flash rom
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
sphere Wrote:Will the remote work under linux? Perhaps as "normal HID/Keyboard"?

that's the way the logitech dinovo works with the provided BT dongle

I also want this boxee remote very hard for my acer revo Nod
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:should be no problem to have this in a separate area of the flash rom

Except data can get huge 1GB ++
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard0