• 7(current)
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard
k. I have just seen alot of hardware specs lately. I want that remote. I'll probly end up just buying a computer that does blu-ray and a boxee remote.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
I really hope the XBMC community get's this thing going. I would love to have unified hardware that can play HD rips. I moved to the AppleTV from the Xbox and was considering a movie to an ION box because the AppleTV isn't much better than the Xbox but I really like the idea of unified hardware. I think the CrystalHD stuff will be fantastic for AppleTV users however I rely on the wireless so this will not be an option for myself. Can't wait for XBMC + Boxee Box!
rdubya Wrote:I really hope the XBMC community get's this thing going. I would love to have unified hardware that can play HD rips. I moved to the AppleTV from the Xbox and was considering a movie to an ION box because the AppleTV isn't much better than the Xbox but I really like the idea of unified hardware. I think the CrystalHD stuff will be fantastic for AppleTV users however I rely on the wireless so this will not be an option for myself. Can't wait for XBMC + Boxee Box!

You know you can just use an Apple airport express to convert the AppleTV ethernet into wireless thereby allowing you to use the internal mini-PCIe slot for the Crystal HD.

The ATV/Crystal will be usable a lot sooner than XBMC on Boxee Box.
This is a good idea. I had been using a linksys wireless bridge with the old xbox but it would flake-out all the time and I hated it. Integrated N wireless is what really attracted me to the Apple TV. I will probably do this however and just wait for a better solution, (Boxee Box I hope) to come along.
oh yes adam, I want that boxee remote SO badly Wink

ATM I'm still very happy with my XBMC live revo, but I'm doing a lot of boxee box promotion as a lot of people ask me what to buy and the alternatives (xtreamer, syabas/popcorn, WDTV etc) just suck. depending on the boxee box price in € I'm considering to buy this thing just for the fun of it Big Grin
especially when we might get an XBMC port for that little sucker
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Question 
I was thinking of getting my mother an HTPC for X-mas, but she visited and thinks mine is total overkill for the living room. so which of these seems like the best choice the boxee interface seems simple, but popbox has optional wifi.

if you are wondering why i am asking this so early in the year, i like to plan ahead and purchase early so I dont end up broke around x-mas.
I would say Boxee - since it's going to run a variant of XBMC, meaning in time, I would say there will be a XBMC build for the hardware's processor (it's an ARM processor from memory?).

I personally have a Popcorn Hour too - the orig A-100 unit, really good device - plays everything. I'm sure the PopBox will be a nice piece of hardware too - but being able to run XBMC is nicer Smile
yeah the one thing they kept saying about the boxee box is it will be open platform for developers and modders
Between them i would maybe consider the boxee box once its released and there is a viable xbmc port for it.

Personaly i would just go for a single core ion based box like the revo. You can pick them up for about $160 and it does everything you need now.
Unless there is a strong push in firmware development, I'd say stay away from the popbox. At the moment, you can't even select audio or subtitle streams. IMO they rushed an unfinished product into the market. That's probably why netflix pulled out.
jwoolen Wrote:IMO they rushed an unfinished product into the market. That's probably why netflix pulled out.

that's what I was used to from syabas/sigma products: huge promises, never delivered. they had quite a strong fan base since the days of the A110 but let's be honest, back then there were no real alternatives for HD media devices.

Boxee is the way to go but it's still some time until it becomes available. in the mean time, my friends and I made quite good experiences with the realtek 128x stuff, e.g. the xtreamer. new firmware 2.4 looks awesome including scraping&jukebox functions. no XBMC media center HTPC but damn near it, cheap and very easy to use. the WDTV also may be a nice alternative.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
jwoolen Wrote:Unless there is a strong push in firmware development, I'd say stay away from the popbox. At the moment, you can't even select audio or subtitle streams. IMO they rushed an unfinished product into the market. That's probably why netflix pulled out.

I agree. I have been following a Popbox release thread in the AVS forums and man that thing is screwed up.
I found a review on revision3

http://revision3.com/hdnation/popbox

honestly, if somebody still wants this thing, he has to be batshit crazy

even when using XBMC SVN builds I have a better experience...
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Been messing with a WD Live Plus for a friend. Personally I could never move to a box with less features than XBMC- once you are spoiled why go back- but if XBMC never existed I would have a small army of those WD boxen...

If XBMC were able to play Blu-Ray rips, I would not have bought a Popcorn C200. XBMC is still far superior and I still use it for everything else. When and if Blu-Ray support does come out, my popcorn hour will collect dust.

I'm just saying...
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard0