• 8(current)
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard
XBMC can't play Blu Ray rips? Someone better tell my HTPC its breaking the rules. I have been playing Blu Ray rips in XBMC for more than a year on it!

EDIT: I get what you are saying now: XBMC can't play Blu Ray ISOs! ISOs and rips are different things....

poofyhairguy Wrote:XBMC can't play Blu Ray rips? Someone better tell my HTPC its breaking the rules. I have been playing Blu Ray rips in XBMC for more than a year on it!

EDIT: I get what you are saying now: XBMC can't play Blu Ray ISOs! ISOs and rips are different things....

So can you rip with AnyDVDHD to a folder structure and play them with full menu access? I did get XMBC working with an external program (Total Media 3) but it was hokey at best. So if you can use the full menu structure and play them nativity let me in on how, I would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks...
No, I like individual files. I get that you want ISO or Video_TS ish support, and personally I have never tried to get that to work. I will take your word that menus won't work with XBMC.

Your setup sounds great! Here is my setup:

Denon AVR890 Receiver

Wall mounted Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro 101FD

7 Channel surround with Paradigm speakers: 3 (Cinema 110) wall mount and 4 (AMS-150R-30) ceiling mounted speakers

Powered SubWoofer

Control 4 Home Automation

I have about 7TB of ripped DVD & Blu-Ray's, I have a dedicated PC to run XBMC and XBMC is THE BEST UI that I have used to date, I even have a driver for my home automation system, I programmed the lights to dim when I hit play and raise the light levels when I hit pause or stop etc. So I would really rather use XBMC.

So to play the Blu-Ray's do you just extract the movie file? Do you have to rename them for the scraper to get the movie info? Maybe your way is the way to go for me...

Thanks..
vmax Wrote:So to play the Blu-Ray's do you just extract the movie file? Do you have to rename them for the scraper to get the movie info? Maybe your way is the way to go for me...

You CAN just pull out the largest m2ts file on the disk an rename it. That works for like 80% of disks. But some disks (especially Pixar disks) have the movie broken into many little files put together by a playlist.

So my way of ripping is to rip from the playlist to a mkv file. My way of doing it also allows me to decode the HD audio and re-encode it to multichannel FLAC, which gives me smaller file sizes and is liked better by XBMC.

Here is a guide to my method:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

Thanks!

I have a go at it.
vmax Wrote:Thanks!

I have a go at it.

Let me know if you need help, I have gotten good at ripping the disks!

poofyhairguy Wrote:Let me know if you need help, I have gotten good at ripping the disks!

Well, I've been able to create the MKV's but I can only seem to play DTS, if I use FLAC or TrueHD it just plays stereo on my receiver. I have been researching for quite some time, but I'm not having much luck. Any Idea's?

Thanks.
vmax Wrote:Well, I've been able to create the MKV's but I can only seem to play DTS, if I use FLAC or TrueHD it just plays stereo on my receiver. I have been researching for quite some time, but I'm not having much luck. Any Idea's?

Thanks.

You have to configure alsa to work with PCM:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=pcm

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Cyberport.DE

yeah. preordered it right now
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
Got one from Future Shop this afternoon. Still has 0.9xxx software only. Tried playing back over LAN and it buffers every 5 seconds even with 720p stuff.

Ask any questions you might have (don't have a TrueHD or DTS-MA receiver so can't test that stuff).
live4ever Wrote:Got one from Future Shop this afternoon. Still has 0.9xxx software only. Tried playing back over LAN and it buffers every 5 seconds even with 720p stuff.

Ask any questions you might have (don't have a TrueHD or DTS-MA receiver so can't test that stuff).

I have a question.

Do you own a time machine? Future Shop went out of business like 10 years ago.

I'm hoping to get my Boxee Box from Incredible Universe.

Edit: sorry, I figured it out.
http://www.crn.com/news/channel-programs...stores.htm
Could someone with a Boxee Box still in the packaging do me a huge favor and take some measurements and a weight for me.

I'm looking to ship one over from the US and I need to know the packaging dimensions and the weight for shipping.

Thanks in advance.
I was looking forward to the release of the Boxee Box for quite a while. But now that it is finally here I am wondering if this is the best way to get XBMC running.

I know that atm you are not able to run XBMC on it. But I expect that this will be able within the next days/ few weeks.

The problem is that I dont know what to expect from the performance of the system. I was quite surprised (or disappointed) that it only has 1GB of RAM.

An alternative would be e.g. a Shuttle XS35 with an SSD. Which would cost me probably around 300 bucks.

So here are my thoughts:
Pro Boxee:
- Love the design Smile
- Quite small
- Silent
- Nice remote
- a quite cool and busy company behind it
- 200 bucks
- could become a standard like the good ol' Xbox was

Cons Boxee (pro HTPC):
- limited extension possibility
- performance (1GB RAM, 1GB flash)
- No possibility to run Windows 7 on it
- Cannot use my Harmony Sad

Perhaps you can help with my decisionBig Grin
I feel the EXACT same way.... except Boxee has stated it will be compatible with any IR sensors so Harmony should work with an addon.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard0