• 9(current)
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard
Harry deluxe Wrote:Cons Boxee (pro HTPC):
- limited extension possibility
- performance (1GB RAM, 1GB flash)
- No possibility to run Windows 7 on it
- Cannot use my Harmony Sad

Not sure what you mean? I don't think there's a format/codec/extension that it doesn't support?

This has nothing to do with performance, you cannot compare the specs of a full HTPC to a specialized peice of hardware like the Boxee Box. As long as the UI is smooth and it plays all the types of videos it should, then that's all you need.

You got them there, but why would you WANT Windows 7? It seems like overkill when you just want to play audio, video, and maybe browse the internet.

You can, as long as you get an MCE IR dongle and hook it up to the USB port. It is currently limited in button scope, but Avner has said that they plan to expand this.
I also would love to use a Boxee Box running XBMC. To add to your last point in the Pros column, having a single hardware configuration would mean it would probably be rock solid - lots of attention from the community.
With regards to your Con of "Cannot use my Harmony" - I don't believe that will be true. You will need a USB IR receiver, but other than that I imagine a Harmony will work just fine. I also disagree that "No possibility to run Windows 7 on it" is a Con Smile
What I really love about the Boxee Box is that it has no local storage for media. It's designed to access your content from a NAS or the internet, the way God intended it Smile
Harry deluxe Wrote:So here are my thoughts:
Pro Boxee:
- Love the design Smile
- Quite small
- Silent
- Nice remote
- a quite cool and busy company behind it
- 200 bucks
- could become a standard like the good ol' Xbox was

Cons Boxee (pro HTPC):

My biggest concern with a "vs HTPC" comparison is what kind of ui/skin limitations will come along with the ce4100 and whatever local media options there are for the system stuff (os/covers/fanart/etc.)

If the dual core atom htpcs struggle w/ some skins, I'd imagine there will have to be a xbmc ui experience tweaked specifically for the performance capabilities (or lack there of) of the BB platform.
Hanging out for XBMC on BB as well; I have used Boxee on a PC and I think it's terrible. Here's hoping the hackers are working on it as we speak,
misterpink Wrote:My biggest concern with a "vs HTPC" comparison is what kind of ui/skin limitations will come along with the ce4100
I'd imagine there will have to be a xbmc ui experience tweaked specifically for the performance capabilities (or lack there of) of the BB platform.
I wouldn't worry too much. Spec-wise, the boxee box wipes the floor with the original appleTV, and that does a decent enough job.
I agree with the skin concerns.

I am not sure if Boxee Box will be able to handle RAM-intensiv skins like Aeon
Harry deluxe Wrote:I agree with the skin concerns.

I am not sure if Boxee Box will be able to handle RAM-intensiv skins like Aeon

This is actually my primary concern at this point. I would love to buy a Boxee Box today, but I am concerned that it won't be able to run Aeon smoothly once XBMC gets on it. After using Aeon65 for a little while now I don't think I would want to go back to any other skin!

Do you guys think the hardware is capable enough?
justo Wrote:This is actually my primary concern at this point. I would love to buy a Boxee Box today, but I am concerned that it won't be able to run Aeon smoothly once XBMC gets on it. After using Aeon65 for a little while now I don't think I would want to go back to any other skin!

Do you guys think the hardware is capable enough?

Question is not once xbmc get on it, the question is IF xbmc gets on it ...

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Quote:the question is IF xbmc gets on it ...

That's doesn't sound encouraging Sad

Do you know if there is any interest on the part of Team XBMC or anyone working on trying to make this happen?

I'm asking only because if there is no real interest from the Team in making this happen then I will be taking advantage of my return window.

Again, I am not asking if it will happen, just if there is any interest from the devs.

Thanks
http://htbackdrops.com (Home Theater Backdrops) offers a large collection FanArt Backdrops of Music Artist and Games, and it also has a good collection of Weather Backgrounds. Help contribute by uploading FanArt for your favorite Music Artist and Games so that others can enjoy it as well.
the thing is, as soon as we are at the point where you can actually install something to the boxee box via USB thumbdrive (or network), there may be only some tweaks necessary to get the linux build running. but as we probably need to build a whole boot image - which needs to be signed - the whole discussion about if/when XBMC is coming to the box is purely of academic interest right now.

furthermore, it would be nice to have one boxee thread instead of two http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64578
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
topfs2 Wrote:Question is not once xbmc get on it, the question is IF xbmc gets on it ...

Cheers,
Tobias

You're right, I was just assuming it would happen at some point. I do have high hopes that it will though! Looks like I'll hold off on buying one for a while.
Question 
I have been pouring through the hardware forum posts and wondering if I should just buy a HTPC for $250+ or buy a Boxee Box(hopefully xbmc will work with it later).

Here are the ones I am looking at:

Zotac MAG HD-ND01
Jetway HBJC231C98-525-B

What is your opinion?
XBMC - better at local (aka downloaded or ripped) content, more flexible pluggins (can do Hulu), better skins and overall interface

Boxee - easier to use, built in streaming media options, 3D menu support, social networking support

Do NOT buy a Boxee Box expecting to use XBMC on it. That might not ever happen. If you really want XBMC and not Boxee, pony up the extra for the Zotac box.

I want the boxee remote. That's all I have to say about that.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
outleradam Wrote:I want the boxee remote. That's all I have to say about that.

Its available by itself for $39.99 and free shipping, knock yourself out.

From what I understand, people's reactions to it have been fairly underwhelming. Cheap construction, smaller than expected, no backlighting on the keys, GREY lettering on black keys that is impossible to see in the average media room lighting conditions, and its so symmetrical that you can't tell what direction you are pointing it.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard0