• 1(current)
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard
http://blog.boxee.tv/2009/11/12/a-boxee-box-is-coming/

Quote:a Boxee Box is coming!
general ? avner ronen on November 12, 2009 @ 10:00 am
We launched our public alpha for Mac/Linux in January at CES. During the show we met with several device manufactures interested in embedding Boxee into their existing devices or building a dedicated Boxee device.

I am very happy to announce we have signed our first partnership with a CE company. At this point we can not say more about the partner or the specs of the device, but we can tell you we are working closely with them to make sure we deliver a great Boxee experience on it.

We will show mockups of the box and share more details at our upcoming Boxee Beta Unveiling event in Brooklyn, NY on Dec 7th. RSVP here.

Over the next few years there will be a great change in the way we consume entertainment on our TV. The Internet is (finally) coming to the TV and with it will come a whole new world of content, applications and innovations.

We are building Boxee as a platform that would:

make it easy for users to consume and find content ? no matter what the source
give content owners, aggregators, and developers the tools to create unique experiences with a variety of business models
enable CE companies to enhance their Connected devices
This will be the first connected device running Boxee, but the idea is to provide consumers with a way to get Boxee in their living rooms, no matter whether it?s on a Connected TV, game console, set-top box, BluRay player, computer, etc.

Our goal is to be on every Connected device in the living room.

We are very excited about the partnership and looking forward to sharing more at the event.

interesting.
Yeah, I thought this will be the outcome of the huge venture money there. I hope they still continue sponsoring the core team of XBMC.

Looking forward to a box(ee) that is stylish, has PASSIVE cooling.Rolleyes

... and XBMC can be hacked into it Laugh
http://www.boxee.tv/box

This is going to be trully amazing opensource box for opensource community.

Hopefully it can play 1080P content.

I don't like the overall design on the remote and box. Wish it was simple box with remote that has all the button.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
I think the new GUI that they've announced has a significantly higher level of polish than anything XBMC offers at the moment. Kinda makes me a little sad. There's no way I'd move away from XBMC due to the cutomisation available, I just wish there was a top quality skin available.
Mac Mini 2.2ghz, OS X Version 10.6, Elipsis
Apple TV + Broadcom CrystalHD, Confluence (for now!)
Have to say that is one ugly box ;-) Defiantly not something that is going to fit in your standard av rack. Very odd design for dlink, they are normally quit industrial and reserved in their designs.
Here is the spec on dlink website:

•Item (WxDxH): 120mm x 120mm x 120mm
•1 HDMI Connector
•1 Optical Digital Audio (S/PDIF) Connector
•Composite Audio Connectors
•Power Button
•AC Power Connector
•Ethernet Connector
•2 USB 2.0 Connectors
•SD Card Slot

It doesn't mention wifi ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
prae5 Wrote:Have to say that is one ugly box ;-) Defiantly not something that is going to fit in your standard av rack. Very odd design for dlink, they are normally quit industrial and reserved in their designs.

Why wouldn't it fit in av rack ? it looks very small ..
wonder if it's ION based

i would get one if i can run xbmc on it Smile
Very cool, being able to install XBMC on it would be great so I hope it can.

Enagadet are saying a Q2 2010 release date along with a aimed for $200 price tag, I wonder what sort of hardware is powering it as it looks quite small.

I just hope its sold outside North America as I assume thats Boxee's target market.
don't know why somebody should buy it.
those acer boxes are so easy to use.
and there are a lot of ready-to-go ion boxes.
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
I love the design, shame it has Boxee on it, tried Boxee and hated it... we need XBMC on that sucker!
Yeah would be very nice for XBMC to go back to uniform hardware.....

Not exactly a looker thou is it... Huh IMO of course Big Grin
It looks like there isn't going to be a Live version of Boxee, mainly because they haven't announced a Linux version of the beta.

Also, it's great that it's now built on DirectX (another reason no Linux version was annoucned?) so that it can be GPU assisted in the decoding on the Windows environment.

Hopefully I can an invite to the Beta!
http://gizmodo.com/5421136/first-shots-of-boxee-box
While it does look cool... the design is useless. That thing has absolutely no chance of going in my TV Stand. I hate it when manufacturers insist on making non standard designs for home theater equipment. Where can you possibly put that thing and not have it somewhere in the way?

Maybe that's their intention... keep it outside of the A/V rack so everyone has to see it. Inconvenient if you ask me. Same reason I don't own a PS3 or XBox 360.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee Box by D-Link announced - its Boxee Remote to come with QWERTY keyboard0