Ripping & encoding speeds on ION nettop with DVD drive?
Hi there. I'm new to the whole ION nettop / XBMC scene. I know these are great little machines for playing back material. Are they viable for ripping and encoding?

Or am I better off getting the Revo 1600 and letting a more powerful desktop handle the ripping?

Thanks,

Herb
Ooops. Didn't realize this was off topic.
Encoding speeds wont be very good with an Atom CPU, your better off using something else to encode into another format like x264 or XviD.

If you have the space to spare you can use MakeMKV to rip the main movie and place it in an MKV container, it keeps the original video and audio.

MakeMKV should be as fast as your DVD drive allows to rip as there is no encoding so it should be fine on your Ion system.
Thanks Starstream. I'll have a higher end system to encode. Was just curious as to speeds.

I'm a Mac guy. I've ripped all my CDs and now want to do my DVDs. I'll get an ION based machine for playback; the Asrock 330, Revo 1600 or Asus 1510.

What format do you use?
I have my movies in an MKV container either in original MPEG-2 format or converted into x264 using constant quality mode set at 18 (which gives a picture quality close to original video).

I personally dont care for DVD menus or extras but you can rip to ISO and XBMC will play the disc image as a normal DVD.

Theres an OSX version of MakeMKV too, so if you want just the main movie and some space saving as it will cut out the extras.

For x264 on a Mac you should check out Handbrake, I believe their constant quality mode equivalent is 70% but not certain on that they have their own UI different from other x264 encoders.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ripping & encoding speeds on ION nettop with DVD drive?0