PCM audio muted after reboot
Question 
Hi,
I have a problem with sound - every time the computer boots PCM is muted. I tried alsactl store, I even put these lines in /etc/rc.local:

alsactl restore
amixer set pcm 100%

It looks like these worked when I checked from terminal after reboot. But as I switch back to XBMC I can't play any PCM sounds (also navigational sounds are gone). When I check it again in terminal PCM is at zero level. When I set it from terminal manually using alsamixer it works fine.

Is there any config file in xbmc for this?

My configuration:
ubuntu 9.04
xbmc 9.04
alsa 1.0.21
asus at3n7a-i (atom 330, ion)
I'm having a similar problem.

I have got sound working as follows:
Stereo = PCM output to optical
AC3 5.1 = passthrough to optical

System is Ubuntu Desktop Jaunty and XBMC + XBMC-standalone installed using the Jaunty PPA per the instructions in the wiki. Alsa drivers upgraded to 1.0.21, and using latest Nvidia restricted drivers.

Sometimes when I boot the system there is no sound, so I log out, change sessions to the Desktop and find the audio master is muted. I unmute it and turn the volume up, log out, change sessions to XBMC, and sound works again.

Sometimes after playing a media file I lose sound and go through changing sessions and find that the master volume has been muted again.

I have tried unmuting everything in alsamixer and then using "alsactl store 0" (my card is device 0) but this doesn't seem to have an effect.

I am a Linux n00b -- please be verbose with any ideas Smile

Matt

Zotac GF9300-D-E, E5300, Ubuntu Jaunty
I remember reading some of the guides on how to install XBMC that they install XBMC live script that launches XBMC as well as automatically increase volume to 100%.

Not sure what guide or method you used to install XBMC on your ION initially. Perhaps it's missing that last step and is the reason you are having problems.

If I come across that tip again, I'll post.
Thumbs Up 
I was playing with alsamixer, alsactl, etc.. and I tried to change attributes of the file /ets/asound.state to 666 and I think this was the thing which helped. After this the PCM ist at 100% after reboot.

I still have following lines in /etc/rc.local:

alsactl restore
amixer set PCM 100%
Thanks for the replies, I will give that a try later today and post the results.

I am still having the problem of the master audio becoming muted during the session though. Usually it happens when switching from watching a video to listening to music, or resuming a video after being paused for several minutes. My only concern is that editing the configuration files that are loaded only on startup will not remedy this...
seems like the same problem as here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57350

Any solution?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PCM audio muted after reboot0