MKV files stops playing
john.morales Wrote:I was having the same issue with the latest live CD, the symptoms were:

1) after a certain amount of time (40-50) minutes into a 720p mkv, XBMC would exit to the video list screen.
2) Trying to copy the movie locally from the file manager would end abruptly.
using a samba share from my OSX machine.

Log file showed:
Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument )
CFileSMB::Close closing fd 1000

I was able to fix it by editing the /var/db/samba/smb.shares, adding:

strict locking = no

to the share I was using.

Since I don't know the proper way to change samba settings on a mac, but I do know in linux changes to the config file require a reload, I reloaded sharing by turning off and back on File Sharing in the Network settings.

Hope this helps.

Exact same problem using SMB on a Mac OSX 10.6.2 and on a Revo R1600.

Added that strict locking = no line to the smb.shares file on my mac, restarted sharing, and it fixed the problem.

It also changed a few other things for the better, notably when I speed through a networked file at 16x it is way way smoother.

Thanks very much. I actually registered to say this works. Spent an entire day reinstalling different builds of Ubuntu and XBMC live to try and fix this problem.

Time to relax and watch some movies Smile
This exact problem started happening to my setup immediately after I upgraded from leopard to snow leopard. My mkv files used to stream via smb from leopard to my acer revo running live flawlessly. I'm beginning to regret my upgrade to snow leopard. I hope a fix is developed soon.
I have this same problem on R25756 for mkv files streamed via smb shares. I tried setting "strict locking = no" on my samba server but this didn't help.

If i mount the same samba share at the OS (as cifs) and play from here using the file manager in xbmc I don't see any problem.
I also confirmed that the problem is still occurring.

I also noticed that my smb.shares somehow lost the line I added.

Adding this line fixed it again for 9.11

strict locking = no
/var/db/samba/smb.shares apparently I cannot find this smb.shares somewhere on my XBMC. Can anybody help me figure out what file do I need to put "strict locking = no" and where I can find it?

I am using 9.11 final.

Thanks!
This is a great thread, thanks for the tips. Same issue on my MAC, just updated my shares file on OSX and will try again!

Thanks!!
ASRock ION 330 • XBMC Live 10 • Harmony One Remote • MCE IR Sensor • 6TB NAS
From what I have read on the unraid forums...

If you mount a share via ubuntu fstab file, drops were not occuring (At least from unraid server).

I switched to NFS and have not had problems either.
I have similar issues streaming mkv from a NAS server over a 1Gbps wired line. The video is slowing down for a second, then speeding up to make up for it, slowing down, etc.
mitchman Wrote:I have similar issues streaming mkv from a NAS server over a 1Gbps wired line. The video is slowing down for a second, then speeding up to make up for it, slowing down, etc.

Sorry but from many of the posts, this does not sound like a symptom of the problem in this thread. Unless of course the video crashes back to xbmc after a while.
328iGuy Wrote:This is a great thread, thanks for the tips. Same issue on my MAC, just updated my shares file on OSX and will try again!

Thanks!!

Just wanted to update this thread to say this worked like a charm, thanks a lot guy's!! Big Grin
UPDATE:

john.morales Wrote:I was having the same issue with the latest live CD, the symptoms were:

1) after a certain amount of time (40-50) minutes into a 720p mkv, XBMC would exit to the video list screen.
2) Trying to copy the movie locally from the file manager would end abruptly.
using a samba share from my OSX machine.

Log file showed:
Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument )
CFileSMB::Close closing fd 1000

I was able to fix it by editing the /var/db/samba/smb.shares, adding:

strict locking = no

to the share I was using.

Hope this helps.

I would like to thank and confirm that john.morales solution did fix my streaming issue with my Mac OSX 10.6
rican Wrote:UPDATE:

I would like to thank and confirm that john.morales solution did fix my streaming issue with my Mac OSX 10.6

Same here, such an easy fix and fixes a big headache! Wink

Just as an fyi though, each time you change, delete or add a share, this file gets overwritten and that line needs to be re-added. Sad
I'm having the same issue, running Camelot, streaming video off a TS-409Pro RAID.

I'm not sure if I need to make the above change to my XBMC install or the RAID. Either way, there's no /db/ folder in my /var/ directory.
I was able to resolve this issue by mounting the samba share.
jwoolen, can you please elaborate?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV files stops playing1