MKV files stops playing
@kbrookes

instead of mounting the samba share through the xbmc sourcelist you can mount them via native linux... i guess thats what jwoolen did. it's similar to map a network drive under windows.

you should find all the infos you need here : connecting samba shares
Here's what I did. For example I'll use the following configuration:

XBMC Username: xbmc1

SMB Share: 192.168.0.126/share
Username: user1
Password: pass1

Instead of having to add sudo to each command, I switched to root:
sudo su root

first make a directory for the mount:
mkdir /home/xbmc1/share

install smbfs:
apt-get install smbfs (may be necessary to run apt-get update first)

edit fstab to mount share on startup:
nano /etc/fstab

add this on the last line of the fstab:
//192.168.0.126/share /home/xbmc1/share smbfs username="user1%pass1"

Exit, save and restart. If it mounted successfully, the share should appear under the home folder.
To restart from the console:
shutdown -r now

If you want to test the mount before adding it to the fstab, type this command after executing the mkdir command:
smbmount //192.168.0.126/share /home/xbmc1/share -o username="user1%pass1"

This will only mount the share once. I used Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to the console, and Ctrl+Alt+F7 to switch back to xbmc to test the mount

If any of the above is incorrect, I apologize, because I am a linux noob.
Hey jwoolen, thanks - your solution is partly working for me.

I can mount the drives using smbmount and your instructions and this seems to solve the problem.

I can also see that I've properly written it into fstab also.

However it doesn't mount on startup or reload - I still have to run the manual command to make it mount.

Any ideas?
kbrookes Wrote:I've properly written it into fstab also.

However it doesn't mount on startup or reload - I still have to run the manual command to make it mount.

post your fstab so we can confirm that you have entered the line correctly
Quote://10.1.1.20/Qmultimedia /home/xbmc/share smbfs username="admin%mypassword"

Note that the above command, with the appropriate smbmount command, mounts the share correctly. I just don't want to have to do it manually each time I restart!
Any ideas where I'm going wrong?
rather then a fstab mount, have a look at autoFS

Quote:Automount (or autofs) is a way to mount directories on an as-needed basis. Automounts are mounted only as they are accessed, and they are unmounted after a period of inactivity. Because of this, automounting NFS/Samba shares conserves bandwidth and offers better overall performance compared to static mounts via fstab.
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
Hello.

I'm pretty sure I have the exact same problem. I'm running XBMCfreak's v13 live cd and I cant seem to find /var/db/samba/smb.shares anywhere when I ftp into the install. Apparently there is no /db folder in my /var folder.

Any help will be much preciated.
The /var/db/samba/smb.shares was edited on my OSX box not the XBMC
zosky Wrote:rather then a fstab mount, have a look at autoFS

+1.
i use autofs to mount my nfs shares dynamically. works perfectly for me. there are some nice tutorials on the web, e.g.:
also have a look at this report, seems like this is an open issue and happens only to os x based servers. there's also a workaround for os x servers:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7637
jwoolen Wrote:Exit, save and restart. If it mounted successfully, the share should appear under the home folder.
To restart from the console:
shutdown -r now

Well, this part is un-necessary. Just open a terminal and run
Code:
sudo mount -a
This command basically says "mount everything" - which is essentially what happens on (re)boot. Since most of the other filesystems are already mounted, they're ignored and the SMBFS entry will be mounted. If not, it'll show an error, and you can try again - without continually re-starting your system.

And, yes, autofs is another preferred approach. If you want really good network speed, then I'd recommend using NFS if at all possible (that's what it was built for, after all).
rican Wrote:The /var/db/samba/smb.shares was edited on my OSX box not the XBMC

I see. Does anyone know of a solution when running XBMCLive on an ION system, streaming content from a WD My Book World?

It's quite annoying having movies cut out all the time Sad
Quote:Note that the above command, with the appropriate smbmount command, mounts the share correctly. I just don't want to have to do it manually each time I restart!

Quote:Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

I had the same problem regarding the share not automounting with a reboot.

Having had a look at a few fstab guides every added share seemed to have
"0 0" (without quotes) at the end of the line.
For example...

//192.168.1.150/HDMovies /home/xbmc/share smbfs

on my system mounts the share but does not work after a reboot.

//192.168.1.150/HDMovies /home/xbmc/share smbfs 0 0

mounts the share and does work after a reboot.

I have absolutely no idea what adding the "0 0" does so if somebody could let me know that would be great Rolleyes
Quote:I see. Does anyone know of a solution when running XBMCLive on an ION system, streaming content from a WD My Book World?

It's quite annoying having movies cut out all the time

I have a similar setup to you but with movies spread over a couple of NAS drives. I followed jwoolen's guide (post 32) and that seems to have solved all my problems Big Grin
Captain Moody Wrote:I had the same problem regarding the share not automounting with a reboot.

I have absolutely no idea what adding the "0 0" does so if somebody could let me know that would be great Rolleyes

1. here's a description of what the "0 0" do ... http://tinyurl.com/333epb5

2. for auto-mounting after reboot (or if the network drops / reconnects) use autoFS rather then fstab
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV files stops playing1