"Go To" time mark functionality
kitus_san Wrote:Are you able to jump to time when watching a media stream?

Yes to both ATV1 (via Boxee Remote and any USB keyboard) and ATV2 (via bluetooth keyboard).
Ned Scott Wrote:Yes to both ATV1 (via Boxee Remote and any USB keyboard) and ATV2 (via bluetooth keyboard).

with local media my keyboard works (XBMC Remote or Rowremote Pro), but it won't work with media streaming. I've just tried Icyfilms add-on and I just can't jump to a specific time... could you plea elaborate a little more on this? where are your streaming content off?

thanks a lot
kitus_san Wrote:with local media my keyboard works (XBMC Remote or Rowremote Pro), but it won't work with media streaming. I've just tried Icyfilms add-on and I just can't jump to a specific time... could you plea elaborate a little more on this? where are your streaming content off?

thanks a lot

you can only jump to a point in icefilms that has loaded into memory.
Ned Scott Wrote:you can only jump to a point in icefilms that has loaded into memory.

sounds of course reasonable... I'm afraid there is something wrong with my internet connection, and as soon as AppleTV is not able to stream, it will stop and bring me back to the list... how annoying having to watch over and over again the same content Sad
In that case... wouldn't it be easier to actually download the stuff instead of streaming it?
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

HenryFord Wrote:In that case... wouldn't it be easier to actually download the stuff instead of streaming it?

Yeah, most certainly... but local stuff just works, streaming is what does not... AppleTV is a product meant for streaming. I want to figure out the problem. Downloading it is an alternative but not the solution.
I can understand where you are coming from, but in order to stream efficently you have to have a stable internet-connection. Or did I get something wrong? I understood that you have a few problems with the internet-connection, that maybe the cause of the problems...?

Do you stream in HD or SD? What connection-speed do you have? Can you test the speed for the icefilms-plugin? I'm thinking that it maybe simply is too slow, so that you "watch faster than the stream comes in".
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Hi,

Thanks for you answer.

Well, my connection works just fine but my router freezes now and then. It is one of those cheap routers that you get from the carrier. You can't expect much. As a matter of fact, eve since I got my new Air, which is 802.11n capable, the stability has become even worse. Therefore I automatically point to my router when something weird happens.

I have a FTTC connection with 15Mbps downstream. This should suffice. You may be right, it could well be that I'm watching the data faster than it comes in under certain circumstances, bu what annoyes me is that xbmc will simply stop and bring me back to the play list rather than pause and wait for the buffer to do its job. If it paused, buffering would be annoying but at least I would not have to watch it all over again (I just can't seem to be able to jump to a specific time in icefilms).

So, of course the problem may not be in the app itself, but what I would certainly expect is a sand clock to pop up and rotate while buffering instead of a playback interruption.

Hole I made myself clear.

Regards,
kitus_san Wrote:Yeah, most certainly... but local stuff just works, streaming is what does not... AppleTV is a product meant for streaming. I want to figure out the problem. Downloading it is an alternative but not the solution.

There's two different kinds of "streaming" that people say here on the forums. One is playing things from the internet, the other is playing things from the local network. The Apple TV 2 has no issues going forward in a file that is on the local network. You'll only run into issues when streaming from the internet (and depending on the site/protocols used).
kitus_san Wrote:Hi,

Thanks for you answer.

Well, my connection works just fine but my router freezes now and then. It is one of those cheap routers that you get from the carrier. You can't expect much. As a matter of fact, eve since I got my new Air, which is 802.11n capable, the stability has become even worse. Therefore I automatically point to my router when something weird happens.

I have a FTTC connection with 15Mbps downstream. This should suffice. You may be right, it could well be that I'm watching the data faster than it comes in under certain circumstances, bu what annoyes me is that xbmc will simply stop and bring me back to the play list rather than pause and wait for the buffer to do its job. If it paused, buffering would be annoying but at least I would not have to watch it all over again (I just can't seem to be able to jump to a specific time in icefilms).

So, of course the problem may not be in the app itself, but what I would certainly expect is a sand clock to pop up and rotate while buffering instead of a playback interruption.

Hole I made myself clear.

Regards,

That should not happen. XBMC does, in fact, pause and say "buffering" with a percentage and then resume. If it's stopping completely and bringing you back to the play list then something is wrong.
Ned Scott Wrote:That should not happen. XBMC does, in fact, pause and say "buffering" with a percentage and then resume. If it's stopping completely and bringing you back to the play list then something is wrong.

That's true, I've seen that buffering thing sometimes when playing "local" stuff mostly... The only thing I know for sure is that several times my AppleTV has stopped all of the sudden and I've assumed it had been due to a streaming problem. Maybe it was something else, I don't know...

Is it possible to enable the diagnostic mode without those annoying on-screen messages? If so I could leave it on and wait for this problem to appear again...

Thanks everyone,
@madmaxx - I have the same problem. And I thougt that I would be able to do it with the remote app for iPhone - but not even that one have numbers on it...
This is still a major issue with the apple tv 2 - occasionally the player will flake out over certain files and not resume, so you have to play from the beginning. If you use a remote with a keyboard the player will try to jump to the time, but because it's streaming it can't go to that time code and so it just resumes form where it was when you typed in the time you wanted.

Makes it unusable.
(2012-06-09, 12:36)ojobson Wrote: This is still a major issue with the apple tv 2 - occasionally the player will flake out over certain files and not resume, so you have to play from the beginning. If you use a remote with a keyboard the player will try to jump to the time, but because it's streaming it can't go to that time code and so it just resumes form where it was when you typed in the time you wanted.

Makes it unusable.

The issue in these cases are the add-on or server that is being connected to. Not much we can do about it on this side.
I am surpirsed that not many people feel a need for 'go to' button on an XBMC skin. Neither Apple TV nor Fire TV has remote with keyboard with numbers. On OUYA I could use track pad to jump ahead in a video. It wasn't perfect but I could jump to where I wanted in a video after a few tries. A 'go to' button which brings up number pad on screen would be prefect.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Go To" time mark functionality0