• 8(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get MCE remote to work in XBMC without other programs
jhsrennie Wrote:The ReportMappingTable registry entry is just a long stream of bytes. In my .reg file I split it up into lines of seven bytes to make it more readable. The listing of your registry is laid out as eight bytes per line, but if you rewrite it as seven bytes per line you'll find it matches what is in my .reg file.

So it looks as if the registry has been set correctly, which means the problem must lie elsewhere. You say "I altered the file". Does this mean you edited the .reg file? In that case try with the original unedited .reg file. Also try Remote-XBMC.reg and see if that works. Use the Showkey app to see what if any keystrokes the remote is sending.

I'd be nervous of 3rd party drivers for the remote. Win7 should detect it automatically without needing extra drivers.

JR

Thanks for clarifying the reportmappingtable, I was a little confused.

I didnt edit the .reg file, as in altered i mean i ran the remote-XBMC-asrock.reg file. After doing that though none of the keys would register. I used showkeys to check but there was no commands coming from the remote. I tested with the keyboard to see if the app was receiving properly and it was.
Before running the remote-XBMC-asrock.reg I tested the showkey app and the buttons were registering. some buttons were registering win shortcuts and others were displaying APPCOMMAND.

Pressing play displays WM_APPCOMMAND 46
Pressing the OK button displays the keyboard Return button.

The Nuvoton driver that is installed, which came with the asrock and is also posted as the CIR driver for download on the asrock website is:

Nuvoton W836x7HG CIR Device Driver (for Win 7 64bit)

I noticed just now that this driver and the EHome are both installed. I might uninstall the 3rd party driver see what happens. See if I get any response from the remote with showkeys. If I do I'll have another go at using the remote-XBMC.reg, I wont try the remote-XBMC-asrock.reg first up since you didnt suggest trying that one. If it all works i'll let you know.
OK I removed the 3rd party drivers and had windows install the Ehome IR drivers. Tested the remote with showkeys. I was getting a response.

Ran the remote-XBMC.reg, everything worked fine.
Ran the remotre-XBMC-asrock.reg as thats the one I want running and presto its all working.

Thank you very much for the registry file and thanks for your help.

3rd party = bad Smile

Now to set the keyboard commands to those extra buttons. Keyboard.xml here I come
SemajYarg Wrote:OK I removed the 3rd party drivers and had windows install the Ehome IR drivers. Tested the remote with showkeys. I was getting a response.

Ran the remote-XBMC.reg, everything worked fine.
Ran the remotre-XBMC-asrock.reg as thats the one I want running and presto its all working.

Thank you very much for the registry file and thanks for your help.

3rd party = bad Smile

Now to set the keyboard commands to those extra buttons. Keyboard.xml here I come

Cool :-)

If it helps the keyboard.xml I used when I was testing is given below. Copy this into your userdata\keymaps folder.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <one mod="ctrl,shift">ActivateWindow(music)</one>         <!-- music -->
      <two mod="ctrl,shift">ActivateWindow(pictures)</two>      <!-- pictures -->
      <three mod="ctrl,shift">ActivateWindow(video)</three>     <!-- movies -->
      <four mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(Key, Radio, 3)</four> <!-- radio -->
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

I couldn't think of anything useful for the "Radio" button to do, though if you have an streaming radio sources set up you could possibly navigate to those.

JR
Hello, i got this working but i´d like to change a couple of options if that´s possible:

First off, im using a Asrock remote that came with my ASRock ION 330HT and i would like the 4 buttons just above the colored ones down at the bottom to open (in left to right order)
1: Pictures (ShowKey gives me <a mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, a, 3)</a> )
2: Music (ShowKey gives me <m mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, m, 3)</m> )
3: Movies (ShowKey gives me <i mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, i, 3)</i> )
4: Tv-Shows (ShowKey gives me <e mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, e, 3)</e> )

Then, i´d like the Info button (<c>Notification(Key, c, 3)</c>) to actually send "I" to bring up the information dialog when watching a movie.

ANd for the context menu, i want <six mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, six, 3)</six>

And to toggle between fullscreen video and file window, i´d like to use the key thats at the top left on the remote, which ShowKey isnt showing Sad

And my problem is, that i have no clue at all on how to achive this, anybody out there that might point my in the right direction?
Snaqejack Wrote:Hello, i got this working but i´d like to change a couple of options if that´s possible:

First off, im using a Asrock remote that came with my ASRock ION 330HT and i would like the 4 buttons just above the colored ones down at the bottom to etc

Please will you post this request as a new topic with some suitable title that I'll spot. Others may be interested in my response, and I don't want it to be lost at the end of a long thread.

Thanks,

JR
This might be a useful addition to this topic for people who want to use universal remotes with the eHome based IR receivers. I have tested it on All 4 One remotes and the Comcast remote (which is an All For One based remote.) As an aside, the really nice thing with what I am about to explain is that if you use a remote such as this one,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VTP...ss_product

you can map one device key to Windows Media Center and one to XBMC, and because you can custom map the buttons, you can still have the Media Center buttons launch Media Center, go to the recorded programs, watch live TV, etc. and also have them perform different functions for XBMC.

With this information, you can also custom map any button on an One For All/Comcast Remote to do anything you want it to do. I find this to be useful since many of the buttons don't work when you set up the remote with the MCE remote code. I am betting there is a similar method for this with Logitech and other universal remotes, but I don't own any so I have no way of testing them.

Note: A lot of tutorials for programming the Comcast or One For All remotes mention using the 0522 or 20522 code. This is the code for the RCA VCR/DVD player which doesn't work for this. The more appropriate code is the code for a MCE Remote which is 1972 or 21972 depending on the remote.

References:
How to Program a Comcast remote (works the same or similarly for other All For One remotes):

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=comcast
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_...the_Remote

Microsoft's USB HID to PS/2 Scan Code Translation Table (needed to find out the correct Codes to put in the registry):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1...nslate.pdf

Examples:
These examples will use the One For All remote shown in the amazon link above, but would apply to any One For All Remote, and the only change would be the Device Key you are using (DVR vs. AUX vs. CBL, etc.)

Example 1. Move a button to an undefined code

LIVE button - by default the LIVE button maps to MCERemote.Live TV, which will launch Windows Media Center and take you to Live TV if you have configured your tuner. In the tutorial at the beginning of this thread and in the zipped registry examples they remap MCERemote.LiveTV to a cap f by changing the registry and adding this entry "25,00,00,00,04,02,09," We'll assume you are using a remote like the one I linked from amazon and you actually want to have one device key (DVR) for XBMC and one (CBL) for Media Center. If you change the MCERemote.LiveTV value in the registry then when you press the LIVE button on the (CBL) Device key you have set up for Media Center, it will no longer function the way you expect. So lets instead remap the LIVE key for the (DVR) device to a code that is not defined already defined by Windows.

Press DVR.
Hold Setup until DVR blinks twice.
Press 994
After DVR blinks twice Press Setup
Press 00051
Press ON DEMAND - DVR should blink twice

I just picked 00051 randomly from the spreadsheet as one that was not already defined. You will see that 00051 corresponds to MCERemote.7BD3 the registry value for that is 2c that means if we want to have it have a cap f the new registry line you would need to add is:

2c,00,00,00,04,02,09, and the you would want to remove the 25,00,00,00,04,02,09 registry entry so that it goes back to it's default state.

Example 2 - Remap a button to a defined code

MENU key - By default the Menu Key maps to MCERemote.Start. Lets change it so it maps to MCERemote.DVDMenu and let's map the ON DEMAND button to MCERemote.Start. If you look in the spreadsheet you can see the One For All button code for MCERemote.DVDMenu is 00243 and the one for MCERemote.Start is 00042. Here is how you would do this.

Map Menu button to MCERemote.DVDMenu value:

Press DVR
Press 994
Press 00243
Press Menu - DVR should blink twice

Map ON DEMAND to MCERemote.Start

Press DVR
Press 994
Press 00042
Press Menu - DVR should blink twice

Hopefully the spreadsheet and these examples make sense. The spreadsheet contains columns for what I have mapped the different buttons to as a reference, but obviously people can map them to whatever they want. It gives you a lot of flexibility and 256 values that you could map buttons to if you so desired.

Spreadsheet with Mappings and Registry HEX codes:

http://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=...CLVw#gid=0
I also have an ASRock system with built-in "MCE" remote. The IR receiver is hooked up not via USB but via ACPI. There is a 3rd party driver for it, called Nuvoton CIR. When I installed it under Win7 this solution worked flawlessly, I was able to reprogram any button, but now I installed WinXP Pro (thus NOT MCE edition), and the remote still works, but there is no HidIr service and consequently the registry mod doesn't work. Under WinXP the Nuvoton CIR driver is using the HidServ service instead of HidIr. Is there any way to remap keys in this setup? Or can I somehow back-port HidIr into my WinXP Pro installation?
rustyx Wrote:I also have an ASRock system with built-in "MCE" remote. The IR receiver is hooked up not via USB but via ACPI. There is a 3rd party driver for it, called Nuvoton CIR. When I installed it under Win7 this solution worked flawlessly, I was able to reprogram any button, but now I installed WinXP Pro (thus NOT MCE edition), and the remote still works, but there is no HidIr service and consequently the registry mod doesn't work. Under WinXP the Nuvoton CIR driver is using the HidServ service instead of HidIr. Is there any way to remap keys in this setup? Or can I somehow back-port HidIr into my WinXP Pro installation?

Win 7 installs the ehome drivers which you need for the reg file XP doesn't I had to use Eventghost on a ASRock ION 330HT running XP using their remote

I now have a Logitech Harmony 300 this works under XP with the default drivers if you set it as a "MCE Keyboard", very cheap to buy think I paid around £12 which I think is a steal for this remote
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:Win 7 installs the ehome drivers which you need for the reg file XP doesn't I had to use Eventghost on a ASRock ION 330HT running XP using their remote

I now have a Logitech Harmony 300 this works under XP with the default drivers if you set it as a "MCE Keyboard", very cheap to buy think I paid around £12 which I think is a steal for this remote

Awesome, EventGhost works for a few buttons that I wanted (info, back), but for the rest no luck, e.g. I can assign any action on the mute button but then when I press it it also mutes the sound, and there is no way to disable that.

I guess I can live with this setup for now, not going to invest into another remote.
I have a Xtreamer Ultra which has a Nuvoton-based MCE remote. I found many shortcomings using it with Win7+XBMC (such as some keys bringing up Windows Media Center), so I used OP's reg file as a template to configure my own mapping.

So based on XBMC's Global keyboard shortcuts (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Global_Keyboard) and XBMC's own wiki tutorial on how to use MCE remote (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows) I came up with a .reg file to hopefully configure the Ultra remote properly for XBMC usage (inlined below)

I tried to favor real "keypress" codes (use of 0x04 in the 5th byte in the ReportMappingTable) instead of multimedia or WM_APP commands, but I still can't bring the context menu using "open" and pressing play/pause still brings Windows Media Center. Haven't had time to give a more thorough investigation, so anyone willing to help please jump in.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da]
"CodeSetNum0"=dword:00000000 ;
"CodeSetNum1"=dword:00000000 ;These four values put the standard global windows keys out of function. These are
"CodeSetNum2"=dword:00000000 ;volume +, -, mute and .... windows sleep mode. I so hated that button
"CodeSetNum3"=dword:00000000 ;
"ReportMappingTable"=hex:\
  01,00,00,00,04,00,1e,\ ;1 -> 1
  02,00,00,00,04,00,1f,\ ;2 -> 2
  03,00,00,00,04,00,20,\ ;3 -> 3
  04,00,00,00,04,00,21,\ ;4 -> 4
  05,00,00,00,04,00,22,\ ;5 -> 5
  06,00,00,00,04,00,23,\ ;6 -> 6
  07,00,00,00,04,00,24,\ ;7 -> 7
  08,00,00,00,04,00,25,\ ;8 -> 8
  09,00,00,00,04,00,26,\ ;9 -> 9
  00,00,00,00,04,00,27,\ ;0 -> 0
  0a,00,00,00,04,00,29,\ ;Clear -> escape
  0b,00,00,00,04,00,2b,\ ;Enter -> Tab (toggle fullscreen)
  0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ;Power -> S (Power menu)
  0d,00,00,00,04,03,1a,\ ;Green Windows -> Ctrl-Shift-w (configure shortcut for XBMC)
  0e,00,00,00,01,00,43,\ ;Mute  -> F10 (Mute)
  0f,00,00,00,04,00,10,\ ;Info -> M (toggle osd)
  10,00,00,00,04,00,2e,\ ;Vol up -> =+ (volume up)
  11,00,00,00,04,00,2d,\ ;Vol down -> -_ (volume down)
  12,00,00,00,04,00,4b,\ ;chan up -> page up
  13,00,00,00,04,00,4e,\ ;chan down -> page down
  14,00,00,00,04,00,09,\ ;ff -> f
  15,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ;rew -> r
  16,00,00,00,04,00,13,\ ;play -> p
  17,00,00,00,04,00,28,\ ;record -> Return (toggle osd, select etc)
  18,00,00,00,04,00,2c,\ ;pause -> space (pause)
  19,00,00,00,04,00,1b,\ ;stop -> x (stop)
  1a,00,00,00,04,00,37,\ ;next -> .> (skip)
  1b,00,00,00,04,00,36,\ ;prev -> ,< (prev)
  1c,00,00,00,04,02,20,\ ;# -> <shift> 3# (shift-3)
  1d,00,00,00,04,02,25,\ ;* -> <shift> 8* (shift-8)
  1e,00,00,00,04,00,52,\ ;Up -> up
  1f,00,00,00,04,00,51,\ ;Down -> down
  20,00,00,00,04,00,50,\ ;Left -> left
  21,00,00,00,04,00,4f,\ ;Right -> right
  22,00,00,00,04,00,28,\ ;OK -> return
  23,00,00,00,04,00,2a,\ ;Back -> Backspace
  27,00,00,00,04,00,1d,\ ;Ratio -> z (zoom/aspect ratio)
  28,00,00,00,04,00,06,\ ;Open -> C (context menu)
  4d,00,00,00,04,00,0f,\ ;Subtitle -> L (next subtitle)
(2010-07-08, 23:26)extension23 Wrote: Spreadsheet with Mappings and Registry HEX codes:

http://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=...CLVw#gid=0

Anyone has got an updated version of the Spreadsheet with Mappings and Registry HEX codes published by extension23 in post #111 ?

The remote controls of Oneforall now use the code 1272 instead of 1972 to emulate a MCE Remote and the customer service sent me the attached function codes which obviously no longer match with the older ones.
Above all, I would like to know the correlation between the function codes used by Oneforall and the button IDs / registry numbers used by Microsoft.

watch gallery
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get MCE remote to work in XBMC without other programs0