• 3(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get MCE remote to work in XBMC without other programs
>Just after you write "was 01, e9, 00". Didn't you want to write "was 01,00,e9" ?

The original registry setting for the vol up button had the last three bytes set to "01, e9, 00". Remember if byte E (in your notation) is 01 this means it's an IR code not a keystroke. In that case I don't know what bytes F and G mean. They certainly aren't related to control, shift, or a key code.

The seven bytes for the power button were originally:

0c,00,00,00,03,82,00

Now byte E is 03, so it's not a key press or IR code. Exactly what it is I don't know.

JR
Thank you,

I feel comfortable with mapping such as ..., 04, xx, xx (Keystrokes) now thanks to your explanations.

Now relating with the others (...,01, xx, xx or ...,03, xx, xx,) I'm still quite confused.

In anyway I'm happy with your "remote-xbmc.reg" file, in whitch I'm going to add "Focus function" and restore "suspend mode" capability.

Thanks
Just another link to a MS document with all the possible codes:
http://rapidshare.de/files/48727315/hid_...s.pdf.html

Mostly it's from the HID standard. But it wouldn't be MS to give it a spin here and there Oo

edit:
0c,00,00,00,03,82,00 means (if original, didn't recheck):
0c = powerbutton on r6 mce remote
00,00,00 are not used
03 means special keys
82 means put pc at sleep (see pdf in my link)
last 00 means nothing.

I remapped it:
0c,00,00,00,04,04,3d,\ ;power key (remapped:alt-F4)
same button and then same three pairs of zeroes.
04 (first one) means regular keys page
04 (second one) means 'when alt is also pressed'
3d means f4.

So I remapped the power key to act like alt-f4 being pressed. Which powers down xbmc if needed.

Some more bits of my keymap that might or might not be useful to understand it all:

0d,00,00,00,04,00,65,\ ;logo (remapped app key (context menu, c doesn't work in my install)
24,00,00,00,04,00,08,\ ;dvd menu (ot (yet) remapped functionally, e - 24,00,00,00,04,02,08 =cap E)
25,00,00,00,04,00,0d,\ ;live tv (remapped j - last bits: 02,0d = cap J))
48,00,00,00,04,00,0b,\ ;recorded tv (remapped h)

5b,00,00,00,04,00,1a,\ ;red (w)
5c,00,00,00,04,00,0c,\ ;green (i)
5d,00,00,00,04,00,0e,\ ;yellow (k)
5e,00,00,00,04,00,12,\ ;blue (o)
I'm using the remote that was delivered with the ION-330-HT, and the Remote-XBMC registry hack (from the yellow rat link).

Most of the stuff works, but I can't get to the DVD menu or the context menu. Now, I'd like to use the ShowKey.exe to create a .reg file for this remote, but I don't see any keypresses at all in this application. Would anyone have any idea why?

Any other tools that I could use to see keypresses?

Thanks in advance
@Laundro: I've just put a new version of the Remote-XBMC.reg file on my site. This maps the Info button to "C", which displays the context menu. You need to change the mapping for the DVD menu button yourself because Remote-XBMC.reg leaves this mapped to the default of ctrl-shift-M.

There's a bug in the Showkey app. You need to resize it before it shows the keypresses. Just resize it by a small amount and you'll see the top part of the window go grey. Now it will show keypresses.

JR
Oo-er, I can't wait to get home and try further Smile

Thanks for the quick reply!
Laundro Wrote:Oo-er, I can't wait to get home and try further Smile

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of playing with XBMC :-) I'll get around to fixing the bug in ShowKey.exe some day soon.

JR
@Jr Finaly Jr, when we run on camelot beta1 is it needed to change anything concerning remote keys ?
@waroc: if you modify the remote using the registry then it will work on any version of XBMC. I don't think the keyboard interface has changed much since v8.10.

JR
just wanted to chime in that this works perfectly with the avs gear (anyware) HA-IR01SV found on newegg.
Could someone please straighten me out here?

I have a cheap knock off remote that is a MCE compatible (its MCE clone if it has "RC6 ir" on the back of it right?). This registry trick (which seems like the holy grail of using the remote with XBMC), does not seem to affect its functions at all.

I have even gone to the extent to delete all keys in the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIR\Remotes section of the registry. I rebooted, and the damn thing is not affected, still works fine for Media Center. I was hoping by a process of elimination to see if one of the other keys in this registry path were controlling my remote.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Please, am I just barking up the wrong tree with this?

Someone please help!

PS, the remote itself is a DIAMOND ALL-IN-WONDER found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-GRC100-But...B001D5HJL4

In using the Showkey.exe util, my remote has some weird ways of doing things. For example, "Pause" is a WM_APPCOMMAND 47: Windows XP SP1: Pause; meanwhile "Stop" is a WM_KEYDOWN: vkey 0xB2(178), scancode 0x0 (0) - VK_MEDIA_STOP

So it is using different methods to do things, and none of it is affected by the key registry entries found on this thread....anyone know where I can find the registry keys for this remote?
@elgen: your remote is sending keystrokes instead of IR commands. This is pretty standard for cheapo remotes; the MS remote is actually quite a sophisticated (and expensive) piece of kit and it's much cheaper to just make the remote emulate a keyboard.

The good news is that I am just a couple of days away from posting a test version of XBMC that natively supports all keystrokes from the remote. This won't be in Camelot, but will be in v10.5. Watch this space.

JR
elgen Wrote:Could someone please straighten me out here?

I have a cheap knock off remote that is a MCE compatible (its MCE clone if it has "RC6 ir" on the back of it right?). This registry trick (which seems like the holy grail of using the remote with XBMC), does not seem to affect its functions at all.

I have even gone to the extent to delete all keys in the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIR\Remotes section of the registry. I rebooted, and the damn thing is not affected, still works fine for Media Center. I was hoping by a process of elimination to see if one of the other keys in this registry path were controlling my remote.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Please, am I just barking up the wrong tree with this?

Someone please help!

PS, the remote itself is a DIAMOND ALL-IN-WONDER found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-GRC100-But...B001D5HJL4

In using the Showkey.exe util, my remote has some weird ways of doing things. For example, "Pause" is a WM_APPCOMMAND 47: Windows XP SP1: Pause; meanwhile "Stop" is a WM_KEYDOWN: vkey 0xB2(178), scancode 0x0 (0) - VK_MEDIA_STOP

So it is using different methods to do things, and none of it is affected by the key registry entries found on this thread....anyone know where I can find the registry keys for this remote?

Take a look Here very easy to use your probably find that script in the thread for the most part works, part that probably needs changing is "#IfWinActive, ahk_class SDL_app" I had to change it to "#IfWinActive, ahk_class XBMC"

Autohotkey comes with "AutoIt3 Window Spy" which gives you the window id so you can check which of those above it is

If some keys don't work then jhsrennie has a ShowKey.exe on his site which will give you the key code needed to be added to the script

Theres plenty of info in AutoHotKey help and on their site, works great for me with no delay plus you can add mouse buttons, info on my remote is Right Click using AutoHotkey lets me use it
Thanks for responding...

Yeah I am getting the picture now on the differences between remotes out there, and teh fact is my remote is ONE cheap piece of crap! Smile

But, you know what's weird? I mean, if my remote is sending keystrokes, I should be able to map most (all?) of them with Eventghost right? But using the genereic HID as well as the Keyboard plugins for Eventghost, it captures SOME of the buttons as they are pressed (a miserable few actually), but a whole bunch it misses (such as ALL of the pause, play, ffw, rwd. etc buttons). And yet these are just keystrokes (maybe non-standard) but still..

I guess I should go ask the Eventghost developer about this, as I cannot determine the correct plugin to use (may not exist) to capture these exotic wm_keystroke/wm_appcommand combinations this damn remote is sending...

What makes me continue to bash my head against this issue? Well, if I load up a copy of XBMC live (boot from CD), XBMC works FLAWLESSLY with ALL the buttons on my remote. Play, pause, ffd, rwd, etc. all work "out of the box", just as theXBMC developer team advertises on the wiki for MCE remote support in that version...

Now that makes me continue to want to try to get it to work....cause I see that it CAN! Smile

I will indeed "watch this space" for more info...thanks!
elgen Wrote:I will indeed "watch this space" for more info...thanks!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64079

JR
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get MCE remote to work in XBMC without other programs0