• 7(current)
Lownoise / Noiseless Asrock ION 330
(2012-10-29, 13:21)large Wrote: To follow up the suggestion from Eoghlear.

Note, you shouldn't don't "care" about the Case + DVD/BD player with my mod.
Check out my guide for installing a 120mm fan + SSD-drive: http://lars.werner.no/?p=882

I have game consoles to handle all disc-related stuff, so having a fan-noisy 330 didn't feel right.
It runs XBMCbuntu and the temperature values doesn't show, but it is clearly more cooler & quiet than earlier!

You Sir, are a boss! This is exactly what I have been thinking about.
Haven't found the time yet but with such a guide I will start this weekend.

Noise is the biggest problem with this unit so this will be a welcome mod.
Hardest part, Eoghlear, was to cut the chassis and drill without getting metal spoon on the main board.

I believe you can even go for a 140mm if you want to, but please measure it before trying that.
Since I had all the equipment at home the 120mm was used.

If the 140mm fits, this would be eg used:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-A...844&sr=8-3
with grid http://www.amazon.co.uk/140mm-Aluminium-...44&sr=8-10
I will take it apart before cutting anything. That way i don't have to worry about it.
Measuring twice before altering anything is always a good idea.
Found some spare time this weekend and finally modded my Asrock ION 330.
Removed the optical drive, cut the bracket that contained the optical and hdd in half. Remounted it and started measuring where to cut the hole in the top lid.

After cutting a hole i installed the noiseblocker 120mm fan and fanguard and after putting everything back together i fired it up.

Runs very smooth, temps are about 5 degrees celcius for the cpu and about 42 degrees celcius for the gpu. I believe the fan speed in the bios is set to silent (i believe it is called that way, haven't been in the bios for a while. It is not the lowest setting).

And again thanks for the awesome tutorial Large. You made it much easier for me.

Will add some pictures later.
Would love to see some pictures of that mod. I'm also thinking about modding because the temps are getting out of control with the fan controller I installed.
(2012-12-02, 20:31)Eoghlear Wrote: And again thanks for the awesome tutorial Large. You made it much easier for me.
Will add some pictures later.

Great, glad to help!
I also would love to see some pictures of your mod Smile
AsRock330 owner here.

Had it 5years. Was never 100% happy with the noise levels, but made do.

Most owners probably moved on by now but posting just in case.

CPu fan has definitely gotten louder --(bearings have worn out?), so Im thinking of picking up this fan for the CPU:

http://m.bonanzamarket.co.uk/listings/3c...Avj_8P8HAQ

Excuse the long URL. --and I've never bought from 'bonanza market' before; I would usually go to amazon, or dabs or ebuyer. --but this one on bonanza is so cheap its got me tempted.

Would I be OK with it do you think?---
There are differences between the original YS TECH fan and this new one:

YSTECH:
5800rpm, 0.07a, 19dba

NEW FAN (by Sunon):
6600rpm, 0.04a, 16dba

1) Being a higher RPM to me suggests it will be louder (I am very noob at this). Would I still be able to tweak the fan speed in the BIOS?

2). Would the ampage difference be a problem? (0.04 / 0.07)

3) The new fan says it's quieter than the YSTECH fan (16dba compared to 19), which sounds promising. But would it be negated by the higher RPM?

Any help appreciated.
Couple weeks since last post here (myself), this thread is a ghost town!

Just a word of warning to anyone considering buying the Sunon fan (linked above from website BonanzaMarket).... Mine came through from China the other day, I installed it.... and it's a letdown.

Despite the description saying only 16db (stock fan is 19), this definitely runs quite a lot louder than the original fan.

I would not recommend it.
Hi!

I´m also a ION 330 owner and fan (no pun intended).

Thanks for the info about Sunon fan! I also need to replace my fan and this info was very valuable.
You're welcome. If you get any decent results with whatever you buy, we'd love to know!
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lownoise / Noiseless Asrock ION 3300