Audio Equalizer for/in XBMC
the retail markup on drivers is insane. have a look at the diy speaker scene on google. it is possible to build enclosures with good quality drivers for far less than what you may think. there is some science to the design but its not too over the top and there are some predesigned kits requiring only basic assembly that are pretty cheap, but good too.

when audio is produced the sound engineer has reference drivers costing hundreds of thousands with all sorts of equilization and other studio effects to get the sound how the artist intended it. in my view, all thats needed to reproduce the original intent of the engineer is not to colour the sound with anything else but to reproduce it accurately.

acoustically the sound will be effected by the room and some people use equilizers for that, but to do it right you need a real time sound spectrum analysis tool and as i said when your at that point, youve spent so much money that a pro grade equilizer isnt a problem to afford.
the average joe, the everyday user has a medicore sound setup, because its adequate for them, they are happy.

an eq for the vast majority of people, (none audiophiles) would be a great addition, and improve things further more, its something that would be used by the majoriy of people.

my point is, sure an hardware eq and a brilliant setup would be amazing and a software/emulated eq/audio-functions are far from being as good, but for your everyday person, they are good enough.
Thumbs Up 
Hello !

I find a good idea is to integrate a EQ in the MP3 Player of the XBMC Software. I use here a Microsoft Soundsystem in my Computerroom attached to the Xbox and the sound is not so high. What i miss is a integratet EQ in the MP3 Player for my XBox, a good idea ?
This has been pondered over for quite some time and the xbox just doesnt have the hardware capability that an EQ would make adequate use of. It would be overkill.
genesis, do u use optical/coax or analog rca plugs for audio?
ultrabrutal Wrote:genesis, do u use optical/coax or analog rca plugs for audio?

Analog!
It would be cool to have an equalizer for audio to use in xbmc to make it sound just right through my home theatre system that doesnt have an equalizer
Please, we need an equalizer for audio, at least at the linux port of XBMC. Big Grin
Hi all,

I was searching through the forums all over for a way to integrate any sort of equalizer with XBMC.

Since XBMC does not provide an equalizer, would it be possible to use ffdshow audio equalizer on Windows in any way? I admit that I am not really familiar with the inards of XBMC. I know that for audio, XBMC's internal paplayer is used but I do not quite understand, wether it would be feasably to have ffdshow audio pick up paplayer's output for post processing. I tried configuring ffdshow audio but with no results (ffdshow does not seem to get involved with paplayer).

Could may someone more experienced with XBMC explain if ffdshow would be an option?

Kind regads
Mike
Personally, I find an equalizer in XBMC would be great, but as a work around, I have found several ways that do the job.
- change the output settings at the device/driver level, so in windows, open the sound device center and make changes to output device
- alternatively if you have for example VIA audio chip, get their drivers and it will install their audio suite, which you can use to make changes
- this option I haven't tried, but it may work, if using HDMI, check the ATI or NVIDIA control centers, I know there are some settings there
- if above doesn't work, I make my changes on the audio device (stereo) settings,, most home stereos have some kind of equalizer, but usually I don't need to fidget with that as much, however I do like to bump up the center channel by 1 or 2 DB to enhance talking a bit more, but I think it is more a personal choice. (I use a 350.00 Samsung bluray HTIB - so not an expensive option)
Just for those, who are still struggling with this topic, trying to get DSPlayer together WITH PVR support, in fact, tried their best getting ffdshow things done - probably in vain, as long as PVR support is wanted (and one's no developer)... here's the good message (ref: xbmc.org: http://xbmc.org/dddamian/2012/05/30/xbmc-audio-goes-hd) for ater the May 2012 cycle:
- AudioEngine is "in" as per May 2012!

The published plans for the next releases:

"Planned Features for upcoming AE releases:
- rules-based decisions for output formats based on hardware capabilites
- a range of DSP’s (digital signal processors) including headphone head-related transfer function processing, DRC (dynamic range compression), low-pass filtering for subs and an equalizer function
- custom channel-mixing/mapping for up and downmixing"

YES!! Thanks a lot to the AE team doing the AE so far and... may your plans come true.
ME, I forget for now things about playing with codexes, ffdshow, DSPlayer... and will sit and wait. Wether it takes 6 months, doesn't matter - I still have a 24 channel "hardware EQ" - but I have to stand up and move Big Grin

Good news... THX!

Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)
(2012-07-01, 13:39)Christoph21x Wrote: "Planned Features for upcoming AE releases:
- rules-based decisions for output formats based on hardware capabilites

- a range of DSP’s (digital signal processors) including headphone head-related transfer function processing, DRC (dynamic range compression), low-pass filtering for subs and an equalizer function

- custom channel-mixing/mapping for up and downmixing"

Really great new !!! I am exciting to know that xbmc will support soon DSP plugin and equalizer. Most people want to use an equalizer to optimise the sound.
Hello,

Any progress? I want to use equalizer too. A I can see, many pepole are requesting this feature. For me, this is one of big missing features.
DSP capability and a few starter DSP's were coded back in June (not the equalizer yet tho), but for a few reasons are just being added - hopefully for Frodo.

There's some GUI work that needs doing to make the EQ DSP possible, and for that I'll need to enlist a GUI dev, so EQ will be post-Frodo.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian, thanks a lot for the information!
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Equalizer for/in XBMC0