• 4(current)
[LINUX] My Asrock 330 ION Tweaks, Tips, Tricks, and Fixes!
pinthenet Wrote:Thanks, I'll look into that at home tomight. I failry certain that /dev/sr0 is reported in dmesg, but I als have /cdrom, /media/cdrom / /media/cdrom0
With regard to booting the old kernel (don't worry): unfortunately the reason I have the new kernel is that my update of XBMC beta 1 to beta 2 failed and I reinstalled from scratch leaving me with only the .17 kernel.....

yes the device is sr0 the rest is what formats the device supports, but Linux and BD let me more specific its about the dvd being decrypted Linux itself supports the formats. read more here

Im pretty sure it can be done and as for your .17 kernel theoretically it should work. mind im not about to or want to get into the legalities of achieving this and if you want please feel free to start own topic in how to get around this if you want though I suspect most savvy users already do it.

In a fully fledged desktop like Ubuntu this is straight, fwd however on a minimal install with just XBMC now that would be a treat for you BD users.

HOWEVER>>>> For readers pls do not start a discussion on this topic about the posted below this line. Thanks for respecting that.

But me being me I rather like this article I suggest its ppl that adopt their force-fed formats and technologies on ppl who are not aware of what it all really entails. http://bluraysucks.com/ and further on that link you get to this DRM more important than human life I suggest you have a read of that and if at all humanly possible get a non BD version of your box.

And that's all I am willing to discuss about BD and HD and if any you people are humans the you will stand alongside the real human side of the crowd lot.
Since many cannot load the kernel module that is suggested in this thread and since it's also very stupid to load kernel modules downloaded off the Internet it's better to compile it yourself, it's fast and easy.

Follow this forum post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p...ost8507775
Easier way to get the GPU temp, no need to install/alter anything:

Code:
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
Question 
Novin Wrote:Since many cannot load the kernel module that is suggested in this thread and since it's also very stupid to load kernel modules downloaded off the Internet it's better to compile it yourself, it's fast and easy.

Follow this forum post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p...ost8507775

Erm you cannot load the prepatched file onto karmic kernels because their buggy so compiling the module onto the kernel is the temp solution, However....

The kernel module downloaded off the internet is the result of the patch you suggest on your link in fact both the coretemp.patch and the prepatched module are downloaded from same placeholder

http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.patch

or pre-patched file

http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.ko

Which one is stupid exactly, which one is infected by rootkits? Show me the money!! I have a hard time distinguishing the forest from the trees. So your trusting the patch but not the prepatched file?! Funny this or is it just me? In order to determine what's going on you have to actually understand what's is going on with the patch file itself (I dont believe you do otherwise you wouldn't post stuff like that) and when you compare the patch and the result you know there's no rootkits in neither file except for the kernel strings it will show, I have to say this sounds a bit like scaremongering for any un-clued ppl reading, so I though I would gently open the tall grass and let you have a look at the whole scenery.

$ strings coretemp.ko | grep vermagic

and that will tell you what kernel it was compiled on.

Also your link-suggestion is incomplete it doesn't tell you what file actually needs patching following that to the letter errors out I know I been there I read that topic way b4 I started this one, seems like you posted there as well. Anywho!

If you can post a complete step by step in how to use your http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p...ost8507775 from start to finish without errors then please post don't forget the kernel versions mentioned there are not necessarily the ones people will be using here.

thx

Novin Wrote:Easier way to get the GPU temp, no need to install/alter anything:

Code:
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>

Yes that suggestion as been posted on post 22 of this topic http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=442...stcount=22

Yes you right like I posted no need to intall something just to get the temperatures for GPU but nvclock does much more and since I use that extra functionality (e.g. When I login I get a status of all my hardware on terminal, I thought it would be best to share when I have more time I will post how to do that here.

Also if you read I personally have an problem running nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp errors out display not connected. thus far no one presented solutions, maybe you can?

So if I just want the temperatures I can also do nvidia-smi -lsa no need to install anything for that either and has been documented on the starter posts.

Again Thx for your posts and valuable input will be looking forward for your how to's I cant wait...
X3lectric Wrote:Erm you cannot load the prepatched file onto karmic kernels because their buggy so compiling the module onto the kernel is the temp solution, However....

The kernel module downloaded off the internet is the result of the patch you suggest on your link in fact both the coretemp.patch and the prepatched module are downloaded from same placeholder

http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.patch

or pre-patched file

http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.ko

Which one is stupid exactly, which one is infected by rootkits? Show me the money!! I have a hard time distinguishing the forest from the trees. So your trusting the patch but not the prepatched file?! Funny this or is it just me? In order to determine what's going on you have to actually understand what's is going on with the patch file itself (I dont believe you do otherwise you wouldn't post stuff like that) and when you compare the patch and the result you know there's no rootkits in neither file except for the kernel strings it will show, I have to say this sounds a bit like scaremongering for any un-clued ppl reading, so I though I would gently open the tall grass and let you have a look at the whole scenery.

and that will tell you what kernel it was compiled on.

Also your link-suggestion is incomplete it doesn't tell you what file actually needs patching following that to the letter errors out I know I been there I read that topic way b4 I started this one, seems like you posted there as well. Anywho!

If you can post a complete step by step in how to use your http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p...ost8507775 from start to finish without errors then please post don't forget the kernel versions mentioned there are not necessarily the ones people will be using here.

thx

First I don't see anything buggy in Karmic, you just cannot load kernel modules compiled for a different version than the one you are running. This is probably by design.

If I download a patch, this is plaintext. I can just look at it to determine what it does. If you look at http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.patch you can quite easily determine that it does what you think it would. I'm not saying that the linked coretemp.ko is infected by a rootkit, I'm just saying that it could be and that you should be very careful to download kernel modules from other than official sources.

Running strings and looking at the version doesn't tell you anything, just that it is a kernel module of some version (which the hypothetical rootkit would also be).

Ubuntuforums is offline right now so I cannot look at my forum post there but IIRC I do 'patch -p1 <../coretemp.patch' and that is what patches coretemp.c in drivers/hwmon of the kernel source. I think you can follow my example and have a working coretemp.ko after that. Right now my example only works on Karmic but I can update it to also work on Jaunty (or any other really..).
Quote:Running strings and looking at the version doesn't tell you anything, just that it is a kernel module of some version (which the hypothetical rootkit would also be).
Ah so you agree to disagree with yourself?

heres both your last posts on that forum.

Quote:Looks OK but doesn't load.
Code:
$ uname -r
2.6.31-16-generic
vermagic=2.6.31.4 SMP mod_unload modversions
$ sudo modprobe coretemp
FATAL: Error inserting coretemp (/lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko): Invalid module format
Last edited by ThomasNovin; 4 Hours Ago at 02:48 AM..
then

Quote:OK since the above attachment didn't work and it's pretty stupid to load kernel modules from random people/forums (your system could be rootkited) I decided to compile it myself.
Code:
$ cd /usr/src
$ sudo wget wget http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.patch #thers one too many wgets in your version.
$ sudo aptitude install linux-source-2.6.31
$ sudo tar jxvf linux-source-2.6.31.tar.bz2
$ cd linux-source-2.6.31
$ sudo patch -p1 <../coretemp.patch
$ cd drivers/hwmon
$ cat <<_EOF_ | sudo tee Makefile
obj-m += coretemp.o

all:
    make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) modules

clean:
    make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) clean
_EOF_
$ sudo make
$ sudo cp coretemp.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/hwmon/
$ sudo rm Makefile
$ sudo modprobe coretemp
his works!

Edit: Pretty much this was already suggested in post 28 Last edited by ThomasNovin; 2 Hours Ago at 04:50 AM..
I just wonder what made you jump to conclusions that file could be something that in fact is not your patched .KO will be pretty much the same except for the kernel it was compiled for which incidentally has nothing to do with rootkits or where they are, lets say I was curious to see your reply.

so

Jaunty you say this would be correct?

Code:
$ cd /usr/src
$ sudo wget http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.patch
$ sudo aptitude install (uname -r | awk -F'-' '{print $1}')
$ sudo tar jxvf linux-source-2.6.28.tar.bz2
$ cd linux-source-2.6.28
$ cd drivers/hwmon
$ cat <<_EOF_ | sudo tee Makefile    [b][color=Red]This line presents a > at prompt even if[/color][/b]
obj-m += coretemp.o

$cat <<_EOF_ | sudo tee Makefile obj-m += coretemp.o [b][color=Red]This line presents a > at prompt as well thiese instructions of yours need to be better defined as it does not allow a compilation of the your own coretemp.ko.

Cannot proceed
[/color][/b]
all:

clean:
_EOF_
$ sudo make
$ sudo rm Makefile
$ sudo modprobe coretemp
Would you say that is what you would do in jaunty? SO to put all the paranoid ppl to sleep on this one.

Also Karmic issues are specific to All the asrocks I have tin kered with for many people the ic2 smbus conflict exists with any karmic kernel except the 2.6.32 that doesnt mean you cant run xbmc only that it may very well be the cause of many issues I for one experienced that is not there with jaunty.

Either way Im pretty comfortable in Linux and I can compile and decompile stuff its not hard google knows everything

When Im confortable that Karmic has become stable enought for this platform then I will make necessary adjustment for the karmic install until then Im confident in sharing the information I shared and furthermore should any be found incorrect or real solutions are posted this all stuff works fine in Jaunty in karmic not so. Only if you compile kernel and compile modules to that kernel, can you imagine everytime theres a system update? redo all manually or make run a script so you have the whole lot recompile... the idea here is to make it simple as possible.

If you have any real solutions for the problems posted here then post your how to's be my guest I rather have someone posting ontopic then totally the opposite.

Will be waiting for your contributions for the Asrock Ion 330 family.
X3lectric Wrote:Ah so you agree to disagree with yourself?

heres both your last posts on that forum.

then

I just wonder what made you jump to conclusions that file could be something that in fact is not your patched .KO will be pretty much the same except for the kernel it was compiled for which incidentally has nothing to do with rootkits or where they are, lets say I was curious to see your reply.

so

Jaunty you say this would be correct?

Code:
$ cd /usr/src
$ sudo wget wget http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.patch
$ sudo aptitude install linux-source-2.6.28
$ sudo tar jxvf linux-source-2.6.28.tar.bz2
$ cd linux-source-2.6.28
$ cd drivers/hwmon
obj-m += coretemp.o

all:

clean:
_EOF_
$ sudo make
$ sudo rm Makefile
$ sudo modprobe coretemp

Would you say that is what you would do in jaunty? SO to put all the paranoid ppl to sleep on this one.

Well, just using strings blabla.ko or modinfo blabla.ko will confirm that it is indeed a kernel module. That's all that I used it for. Since it wouldn't load I just wanted to confirm that it wasn't corrupt in any way..

That looks good for Jaunty. If you replace 2.6.28 with $(uname -r | awk -F'-' '{print $1}') you will have a version that works for any modern Ubuntu/Debian.
please read above even doing what you suggest (uname -r | awk -F'-' '{print $1}') this seems invalid the error is bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Maybe this is pebkacbut that is what I get and removing theinvalid token it still guives other errors.
Aha okey now I noticed what you marked in red. The $-signs needs to be escaped with '\'.

cat <<EOF | sudo tee Makefile
obj-m += coretemp.o

all:
make -C /lib/modules/\$(shell uname -r)/build M=\$(PWD) modules

clean:
make -C /lib/modules/\$(shell uname -r)/build M=\$(PWD) clean
EOF
mmmm could you put the whole lot togethere so theres no mistakes and try to do step by step like my guides? thx a bunch for replies
Updated my original post on UbuntuForums.

Code:
$ cd /usr/src
$ sudo wget http://mabene.icomedias.com/coretemp.patch
$ sudo aptitude install linux-source-$(uname -r | awk -F'-' '{print $1}')
$ sudo tar jxvf linux-source-$(uname -r | awk -F'-' '{print $1}').tar.bz2
$ cd linux-source-$(uname -r | awk -F'-' '{print $1}')
$ cd drivers/hwmon
obj-m += coretemp.o

all:

clean:
_EOF_
$ sudo make
$ sudo rm Makefile
$ sudo modprobe coretemp

To also automatically load it at startup

Code:
$ echo -e "#Load coretemp to be able to read values with sensors(1)\ncoretemp" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

And also the comment I made on Ubuntuforums:

"This works!

Although, on my ION 330-HT which is different from the old 330 I just get very low temperature readings, between 9-17 degrees centigrade."
the reason why you get a discrepancy in temperatures is has been posted here. see both acpi and sensor modules are probing the IO ports at same time which is not good another karmic issue that should be resolved but is not ime.

This is fairly well documented and is no good.

Thx for your post there if it works it works but with me I just too stupid to make that work escaping the > just postpones errors what what type of error is displayed. (where it all goes wrong) eventually make will spew out nothing todo.

Bottom line I cannot compile that as you describe it. I have tried in both karmic and jaunty VM's.

Not sure what else to say but if ny paranoid ppl out there can make this work then use it.

Im obviously too thick to figure it out.

Im sticking with the "rootkited prepatched module" Joke there is actually no rootkits in there or anything else.

Another way to do this maybe you can supply your precompiled coretemp.ko I can then compare mine to yours while I see if its worth figuring out why y I cant patch mine.
Just went through all commands myself, they all work and result in a loaded patched coretemp.

Maybe you are copy-and-pasting wrong? Since you don't get any Makefile I guess it's the part where it's created.

You should copy-and-paste this section all in one shot (however also works if you do one line at a time):

cat <<_EOF_ | sudo tee Makefile
obj-m += coretemp.o

all:

clean:
_EOF_

If it doesn't work I suspect you have changed your shell to something else than bash or maybe you have some weird terminal which doesn't allow pasting that input.

It's completely normal that you get a '>' after the first row, that's OK. This means it will take input until you give the magic stop word which is set to '_EOF_'.

Basicall you could just edit a file called Makefile and fill it with the row starting with obj-m... down to the make row that ends with clean.
theres nothing to copy and paste Im pasting every line individually, your post/instructions are far from a step by step instruction set or what I would call one.

Im using putty so no funny business here and its default openssh install.
whenI get to _EOF_ thats fine but then there's nothing to make when you do make as you suggest. It simply does not work I even thought it would be unmet dependencies but no.

If I were doing the tutorial I would make it really true copy and paste like eg echo whaever >> /path/path/file instead or use sed to place it at specific locations.

Now your talking about editing makefile which is not mentioned previously, nope sorry no funny business here. Except whatever you decided in your mind as assumptions of what is not the case.

let me make clear my system works fine im not about to pollute it with half cocked code which gives errors and wont complete.

if you really have a fully working no issues Karmic HT box then your not looking or using functionality which is broken.

Ill remain in jaunty and use the prepatched file which your so adamant is some sort of world domination rootkit nonsense, about if any one else is as paranoid about it as you and can get your instructions to work be my guest but note I wont be supporting what I cant troubleshoot or get working.

thx but well what can I say no thx?

If I ever grow the skills to copy and paste and follow your instructions or even have this working I will report so. Pls referr to my first topics to see what I call a How to.
Exclamation 
the_alien posted some initial config on the how to setup the lirc Drivers thank you for your post I have refined the method a little.
[url=http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=498702&postcount=133][/url]
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] My Asrock 330 ION Tweaks, Tips, Tricks, and Fixes!5