• 1(current)
[LINUX] My Asrock 330 ION Tweaks, Tips, Tricks, and Fixes!
Exclamation 
The tips & tricks were removed due to being at sum limbo point and a bit messy, it was a work in progress and at least 20 posts all over were lost. I cant remember the whole lot to rebuild it. It will take time.

So for the ones who found them helpful here they are.

I did some work on it but not gonna count 10k chars and post it here, needs plenty more updating and linking to other posts and possibly recreate posts.
Jusnt grab the bulk of it from http://www.mediafire.com/file/tztukyj5jt...tricks.txt

If anyone wants to work on content or wack them on xbmc wiki be my guest, at least it can serve someone as is.

Regards.
Lightbulb 
Read first post.
Lightbulb 
Read first post.
thanks very much X3lectric for taking the time to write this nice article; just received my AsRock ION 330 yesterday, have swapped the HDD for a 32Gb SSD, upgraded the memory to 4Gb and flashed the bios to the latest 1.60. Will install minimal Jaunty this evening then follow all your tips & tricks :-)

Cheers
Nice guide.

You forgot a couple of '>> /etc/apt/sources.list' in the alsa 1.0.20 section, though.
hi X3lectric, thanks a lot for this guide but i have a problem with lm_sensors, i followed everything on the guide but /etc/init.d/lm-sensors is not created for me so i can't start the service and suggestions?
Exclamation 
logictester Wrote:hi X3lectric, thanks a lot for this guide but i have a problem with lm_sensors, i followed everything on the guide but /etc/init.d/lm-sensors is not created for me so i can't start the service and suggestions?

The lm_sensors entries are written to a file automatically after running command sensors-detect and pressing ENTER at the end. Also don't confuse lm_sensors with lm-sensors notice the underscore/hyphen the underscored file is the result autoconfig of running sensors-detect, lm-sensors is the program itself.

JumJum

Yes I corrected that, this morning thx for pointing it out.

[b]For EVERYONE else

This guide is intended for people who have already working installation and want to improve on the end result. Mostly the sensor stuff..[/b] GOOGLE and read forums other topics you will not achieve a full custom install with one single topic though I try to incorporate all the links necessary to install from scratch or using xbmclive install disk.

If your system is already installed properly, you should get no errors following this, but needless to say this is done at anyone's risk, though nothing should break. I may as well say that alpha2 is terribly buggy for me on this system. Resolution resets to low and will not stick on system>resolution settings.

Since I am experimenting with various platforms, ubuntu releases & XBMC releases, installs and scripts, supported or unsupported.

Don't Ask silly obvious offtopic replies, I may just bite your head off.

I urge you guys to read up on any applicable Linux and you will learn just as I did, I haven't pestered ppl with silly Linux things I went Google and as a result I have over 100 helpful bookmarks to refer to, if you don't you aren't going around this the right way.

Hope anyone who follows this gets the same end results.
never mind - started over - all works
Thanks for this X3lectric!! Smile
I've been looking for info to get the temperature readings working...
I'm going to try it out tonight and reply with results.
Exclamation 
Erm if you guys gonna post outputs pls use a pastebin like http://www.pastebin.com

logictester
Excellent goes to show you have to do it by the numbers. glad it worked
Will this work with Karmic (Alpha2)?
the CPU sensor information will not work with karmic due to a bug in the kernel (it has many issues especially with the asrock ion) the only kernel that fixes the module loading problems in this case is 2.6.32 I have tried the rc7 and its fine however unfortunately makes your system only available via SSH on your TV you will only see a blinking cursor. No more XBMC. :/

though everything else like GPU temps will be fine since it uses nvclock

The workaround is to patch your existing kernel which once it updates via normal repos the changes will be lost.

I have reported this and other karmic bugs to ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/485234 if you try it and see the same pls reply to that topic with your findings.
X3lectric Wrote:I have tried the rc7 and its fine however unfortunately makes your system only available via SSH on your TV you will only see a blinking cursor. No more XBMC. :/

If this is the case, try reinstalling your NVIDIA drivers. The modules are kernel specific and will not load anymore when you replace the running kernel. It needs to recompile them to get rid of your blinking cursor Smile
Hi, thanks for the nice "guide" Wink I've tried to follow the sensors guide and it seems to have improved my reading, but i still dont think the cpu readings are correct.

Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +13.0°C  (crit = +95.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Core 1:      +22.0°C  (crit = +95.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0002
Core 2:      +13.0°C  (crit = +95.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0003
Core 3:      +23.0°C  (crit = +95.0°C)

The CPUs must be at least twice the temp as the output.

Code:
hddtemp /dev/sda
/dev/sda: ST9320325AS: 52°C

nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp
Lightbulb 
jinxedworld Wrote:If this is the case, try reinstalling your NVIDIA drivers. The modules are kernel specific and will not load anymore when you replace the running kernel. It needs to recompile them to get rid of your blinking cursor Smile

I had thought of that even though the drivers were automatically handled or rather built for the kernel as part of the upgrade (This is true since the nvidia repositories exist). in fact even uninstalling and reinstalling drivers made no difference so Im not sure on what you base your comment, maybe you would like to share?

iGudi

Your temps are low but that also depends on your fan speed which you have set in Bios. I can get that temp if my fans are doing 'xtra' work. I have mine set to normal and running at around 40°C each. GPU is 70°C.

honestly I feel compeled to rip the heatsinks out and improve on those as well I doubt the best thermal compounds are used and with a Y splitter for the fan power I can wack a decent quite actively cooled solution... xmas maybe?

btw your line there:
Code:
nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp
Gives me:
No protocol specified
Code:
ERROR: Cannot open display ':0'.
ERROR: Unable to query attribute GPUCoreTemp specified in query 'GPUCoreTemp' (no Display connection).

Maybe its my Samsung TV is seen on the nvidia panel in fluxbox but not on xorg.conf I have manually added it but on reboot it's not there anymore.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] My Asrock 330 ION Tweaks, Tips, Tricks, and Fixes!5