Quick question about MySQL sharing
Hi all, quick question regarding MySQL library sharing:

I've read through the guide and I think I understand it conceptually. Currently all my movies are stored locally on the one XBMC computer that I've been using, so the library sources are configured with local Windows directories. Now I want to share the library with a RaspberryPi XBMC instance. I can obviously share my media directories with SMB or NFS, but I believe the RaspberryPi will require slightly different paths to see this media (obviously different than the "local" paths which include drive letter, etc). Is there a way to handle this, short of nuking my library and starting over using "share" paths on the original XBMC rather than local paths? I have all local NFO files so it's not a huge deal, but I would lose all my "watched" info, which is a pain.

I may go with UPnP sharing unless there's an easier way. UPnP seems a little limited though.

Thanks in advance.
The type of sharing you will use is dependant on the base OS hosting the files.

I'd suggest nuking the library, setting up SMB and then configuring MySQL. Raspberry Pi will read SMB just fine. I've not tried upnp myself, infact I also converted from local to SMB, then when I got a NAS box I decided to go with NFS rather than stick with SMB.
Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the options for sharing files, but I didn't know if there's an easier way for me to convert the locations in my local sources to shared locations. If I share the directories and then edit the sources (using the XBMC GUI), would XBMC handle this correctly so that all existing "watched" data would stay intact? I have about 8 different locations storing hundreds of movies and TV so I wanted to ask before mucking around with it. Thanks again.
No that wouldn't work, XBMC won't update the source for each item in it's library.

Nuke it, set sources, import.. then export the database so if you need to down the line you can edit the exported file to modify the sources.
Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

Darn, ok, thanks. I'll give it a try.
You can change the location of your sources if you have exported the database (single file) by using a text editor as its just an xml file. Just do a search and replace for the old location to the new location

Or export the library to separate files which are independent of the source the media is located in (at least for videos this works - can't recall for music). Works better if you have all your movies in individual folders, but also works if they are all in one.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
(2013-03-11, 07:56)dfecfkfj Wrote: I have about 8 different locations storing hundreds of movies and TV so I wanted to ask before mucking around with it.Image
ask what?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-03-11, 08:20)nickr Wrote: ask what?

Spammer... nuked.
(2013-03-11, 07:14)rocketpants Wrote: You can change the location of your sources if you have exported the database (single file) by using a text editor as its just an xml file. Just do a search and replace for the old location to the new location

Or export the library to separate files which are independent of the source the media is located in (at least for videos this works - can't recall for music). Works better if you have all your movies in individual folders, but also works if they are all in one.

Thanks. I'll give these a try. I'm going to export in both formats to see which is easier to modify. All videos (with exception of TV episodes) are in individual folders and I don't currently use music in XBMC.

Thanks again.
Cool, looks like the "separate files" approach might work well. I just did this and I see that playcount is included in the new NFO's in each video directory. So (theoretically) I should be able to nuke the DB, set up MySQL, and then re-import using "shared paths", which should set up MySQL correctly with playcount (watched).....right?

Thanks again.
just add the following to the advanced settings to import the watched status

Code:
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>

The default is false

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quick question about MySQL sharing0