xmbc refuses to update my library
XBMC refuses to update my library. I use win7 x64 and the latest XBMC version alpha2. My only movies that goes in the library are the movies that i update manually from the video section. What can i do Huh

I set the content for the directories , i scan for new content all that but refuses to go in the library, unless i do it manually.

SOHuh What should i do?? I really like the XBMC.

so please help and sorry for my english

come on guys.....help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
try this
goto settings - video - library

select update library on startup
restart xbmc and see if it has updated the selections
i did that....nothing happens in my library....it works only if i search manually
I'm assuming we are only talking about movies, right? If so:

First, what folder structure are your movies in? Like

C:\Movies folder\Top Gun\Top Gun.avi (where you 'set content' on Movies folder)

or something else?

Second, what file structure are your movies in? Are they mostly mkv, avi, and iso, or are we also dealing with vob files?

Third, when you set content initially, what "content scanning options" did you tick? (e.g. use folder names for lookups, scan recursively, and selected folder contains a single video.)

Finally, please post a debug log in which you try to run a scan. See my signature for how to do this and ask other questions usefully.
Hmm this sounds VERY similar if not EXACTLY like the problem I have using XBMC on my brothers computer.

XBMC works fine for me on my Windows XP SP2 computer, so I thought I'd copy everything in the programs folder plus all the settings from %appdata%\XBMC to his computer for a demonstration. I did this successfully to a friend's computer who was impressed and is now using XBMC on his own Big Grin But for some reason the library updates aren't working for my brother. He also uses Windows XP (and I think it's SP2 aswell), and I tried using the latest SVN aswell (a week or two ago) with the same result.

Here's how to reproduce the problem in Aeon (but the problem is the same in PM3.HD):
1. Add a new source containing movies (where each movie is in it's own subfolder).
2. Set source content to movies.
3. Use IMDB as scrapper and enable "use folder names for lookups".
4. Scan for new content
5. Wait while XBMC finds the different movies and downloads content for them.
6. Go to the home screen and choose movies.
7. It will show no movies. Sad
8. Go back to the home screen and press down on your keyboard and choose to open "recent added movies".
9. and OH LOOK, the movies are there! The same works for genres, actors, etc. All work except by title (which is all movies). Why isn't all movies working when the sub categories are?

kris2k maybe you can try to repeat this to see if we got the same behavior?

Sorry I havn't had time to report this problem earlier, frankly I didn't know where to begin and didn't have time to write an error report until now.

I hope you can reproduce this problem kris2k, because then we'll have greater chance of figuring out what the problem is together.

Maybe I'll have time to try alpha2 or even latest SVN tonight or tomorrow. In any case I'll write my results here when I get the chance.

As you said I should point out my file structure is like these:
E:\Movies\Transformers\Transformers.mkv
E:\Movies\Terminator\Terminator.mkv

and I add E:\Movies as source.
OK, I've done some more testing on my brothers computer and things seems even more strange now.

First I removed the XBMC program folder and the XBMC appdata folder. I then downloaded alpha2 and installed it. At the end of the installation I chose to start XBMC and proceeded to go to the videos page and added a new source.

To not complicate things I had moved to movies to a new folder called FilmTemp which I added as a source called FilmTemp (later renamed in this screenshot):

I used IMDB to scrap folder names:

Together with these scrapper settings:

I then scanned the folder for new content and verified that XBMC had indeed added the two movies I used for my test (Wall-E and Yes Man). The were listed as videos in the default skin with pictures and everything, and they were also visible in library mode, and both in recent, by title, by year and so on.

Now all the testing so far were made using the default PM3.HD skin. Now I thought it would be about time to fire up Aeon (I didn't take the screenshots until after my test was complete).

In Aeon Hitched the movies were shown both in recently added widget on the home screen for movies, aswell as on the normal movie screen. Good, everything is working jsut fine. I also made sure that it was still working after rebooting XBMC.

So now I quit XBMC, moved the two movies back to their original movie folder and fired up XBMC again (still using Aeon Hitched). I added the normal movie folder to my XBMC source and renamed the source to "Film". I reset the content type, scrapper and scrapper settings and began to scan for new content.

When XBMC was done scanning (and yes it found most if not all movies) I looked at the home screen for movies, and some of the new movies were shown:

I could start the movies from here and they played just fine, but when I pressed enter to open the actual movie screen this is what I get:

None of the new is shown... Not even after I tried the clean library action followed by another scan for new content. All I see is those two old test movies. No matter how much I try to update the library it seems to be stuck with this initial scan and refuses to update it.

But here comes the most strange part... If I choose to list the movies by genre, year, recent etc I get my new movies:

So the library is actually updated, but for some really strange reason it's not shown if I choose to display movies by title (which is the default movie screen display type) as I should be able to.

I've tried rescanning and cleaning the library several times, I've tried removing the database but ended up with not beeing able to add anything new at all, and so on, nothing I've tried works and I see no reason for it not to work. This is really strange...

kris2k can you confirm that this is happening to you aswell, or is my special problem unique?

* btw, the graphics bug in the corner is because I'm using remote control software to test this on my brothers computer.
so...i think i resolve my problem.Big Grin

1.delete all my files like info files, all jpg etc etc (my only files left are the movie and the srt)
2.i renamed all the folders and inside files with right name from imdb.com
3.delete all my sources from xmbc
4.add new sources, set content and voila.......all my movies are in the library with the right stuff (info,poster etc etc)

i dont know what i did but it works.....

now i have a problem with 1080p files, its not play right, fluent like MPCH.
i read that xmbc doesnt do gpu decoding.......its sucks. hope that will change in the future

respect to my people !!!!
nice to hear it's working for you Smile I hope it will keep on working aswell, have you tried adding new movies? That's where the problems started for me (on my brothers computer, my own computer has no problems with xbmc).

I'm thinking maybe the imdb settings are somehow screwed up. But what could be the culprit?

and about gpu decoding, there are many threads about it. XBMC supports VDPAU under linux, DXVA hasn't been implemented under Windows yet, but might come in the future. For now you can use the external player feature if you're using windows, I use it to launch MPC for all 1080p movies, and MPC does it's decoing through CoreAVC which is faster than XBMC atm, works great!

actually it's worth mentioning that my brother has had some problems with his internet connection. Could it be that some failed connections to the scrapper is causing the whole updating of the final library to fail, thus leaving the library in this semi-consistent state?
If you have TV Shows in your library then this is a classic case of THETVDB.COM is down!! haha

While thetvdb.com is down, we seem to take forever figuring that fact out, which means we take forever to get to movies.

Perhaps the fix here is to determin if the scraper is up before we attempt to ident anything?
yea I noticed it went down this weekend, this is only movie scrapping atm though, and besides that I got this same problem a few weeks ago when I did that full copy of my xbmc setup from my computer to my brothers. That time TMDB should have been up and running, but I'm thinking perhaps if some of the movies fail, the final update of the library might fail. It's not ofc supposed to be like this, but who knows...

When both sites are back up I shall try a new scan with full debug log and see what that says. In the mean time has anyone else had similar problems before the media sites went down?

Edit: oops maybe I misread you there, yea checking that first sure would help matters. If it isn't done already (gotta check the debug log later) :p
and about gpu decoding, there are many threads about it. XBMC supports VDPAU under linux, DXVA hasn't been implemented under Windows yet, but might come in the future. For now you can use the external player feature if you're using windows, I use it to launch MPC for all 1080p movies, and MPC does it's decoing through CoreAVC which is faster than XBMC atm, works great!

could you help me out with the external player .....i read the wiki ...but sry i cant do it to launch the media player...maybe you could send me via email a .xml file or anything else or a help file ...what to do to work......

and yes i add new movies.....and first the files doesnt appear in the library and i go in the set content of the folder and i change one setting: :the folder contains one video file or something like that and i put it to "no" and it works
all files are scanned when i start xmbc or on update library.....

thanks a lot.....
my email is [email protected]
well it seem you didnt' have the same problem as I did after all then. but good that it works for you. really strange it doesn't work on my brothers computer...

About external player, just copy & paste the example for "playercorefactory.xml":
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback
...into your playercorefactory.xml. Then change the filename entry to the player you choose, and make sure the path is correct. Also change the rule from ".*720p.*" to ".*1080p.*" if you want only 1080p files to play externally.

If you are still wondering on how to do it first read the full page and try some more, then you can ask in the external player thread here on the forums.
so ..i replace my coreplayerfactory.xml file with the one in the wikiHuh
and that`s allHuh?

i should try this at home tonight and hope that will work.

thx a lot...

i`ll be back!!!!!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xmbc refuses to update my library0