Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player?
Question 
Is it possible to install XBMC on a Samsung UE40B7000?

I would like to use my PC as the XBMC server and my TV as a XBMC player, can this be done?

At this moment I can connect the XBMC server through DLNA with the standard Media Player on the TV, but I want the XMBC player including the cool GUI.

I am an absolute novice and help is appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

Evi
No.
I hadn't heard of DLNA until your post prompted me to Google for it. It looks quite cool, though annoyingly my TV doesn't support it.

Anyhow, your TV would need to have a processor capable of running Linux or Windows for XBMC to work. DLNA looks simple enough that I would guess they've used a very simple (i.e. cheap!) processor that wouldn't run either of these operating systems.

You could use an Acer Revo. This will mount onto the wall mount point on the back of the TV (assuming it isn't wall mounted) so it's reasonably tidy. It wouldn't work with the TV remote though. Note however that you'd need and external keyboard, and getting 1080p rips to play only works with XBMC Live or Linux.

JR
I just bought a Samsung UN40C7000 and it has the media server feature called 'allshare' where I can share videos, music, and photos from my pc to the TV. Is there any way I can get XBMC as the interface for this for my TV, instead of having to browse through folders to find what I want?

thanks
No. The TV is presumably acting as a uPnP client and your PC as a uPnP server, whcih means the PC just provides a list of media and it's up to the TV how it displays it.

I would buy a Revo or similar HTPC, run XBMC on it and use the TV as the display. yes, that's more cost but it will make a huge difference to your enjoyment :-)

JR
The Samsung C series are also more tricky to hack, going by comments on the Samy Go forum. The C7000/8000 series does run linux and seems to have a capable Arm SoC, very fast GUI on TV & InternetTV is no slouch though whether it has an OpenGL ES GPU is a mystery.

Unless you got developers of your own and a supply of Samsung TV's for them to work with I dont think this would ever happen. You could try asking over on the SamyGo forum to see if anyone is interested in porting the linux Arm version of XBMC they'd know more about the hardware and if it's capable.
AFAIK, the Samsung C7000/8000 series does have Open GL ES 2.0 support.
In theory, then, it is possible to get XBMC integrated into the tv.
However, I cannot speculate what performance you may get out of it.
¤ [McGeagh] ¤
McGeagh Wrote:AFAIK, the Samsung C7000/8000 series does have Open GL ES 2.0 support.
In theory, then, it is possible to get XBMC integrated into the tv.
However, I cannot speculate what performance you may get out of it.

I think many owners are interested in this. A live cd bootable from USB would be a great solution (or whatever works actually). I'm not sure but the C6700 series also support open GL ES 2.0.
Gregoire Wrote:I think many owners are interested in this. A live cd bootable from USB would be a great solution (or whatever works actually). I'm not sure but the C6700 series also support open GL ES 2.0.

You probably need to donate a significant amount of TVs to the developers for this to happen (its not a one mans job) and even then it might just plain be a locked TV so it might just not ever work...
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Personally, after seeing everything at CES, I think XBMC integration into smart TVs (specifically those running linux/google tv) will happen definitely within 2 years and probably some beta versions in a year. Hopefully the majority of manufacturers will base their hardware/software on ARM architecture and something standard like google tv.

Exciting things to come...and these days at such a rapid pace
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
topfs2 Wrote:You probably need to donate a significant amount of TVs to the developers for this to happen (its not a one mans job) and even then it might just plain be a locked TV so it might just not ever work...

It's only about 2 or maybe 3 architectures. One such an architecture is based on an ARM cortex a-8 CPU. They already run Linux. It isn't as locked as you think since part of it has been open sourced by samsung.
Gregoire Wrote:It's only about 2 or maybe 3 architectures. One such an architecture is based on an ARM cortex a-8 CPU. They already run Linux. It isn't as locked as you think since part of it has been open sourced by samsung.

Ok, so then there is still the question regarding if drivers are available and if the hardware have enough umpf for xbmc. And if thats true either someone need to step up and do the porting which has the device or donations are required (and if the latter no promises are made).

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Ok, so then there is still the question regarding if drivers are available and if the hardware have enough umpf for xbmc. And if thats true either someone need to step up and do the porting which has the device or donations are required (and if the latter no promises are made).

It has about the same specs as a beagleboard. I think the umpff is there too. Don't know which drivers you are talking about. There's talk about someting called exe.dsp which is closed sourced but I have no idea what's so crucial about it.

Where can the latest source be found? And what's missing to make it work?
the A8 S5PC110 is specced as 1080p playback so maybe there's enough "umpff" Wink available in theory, together with the OpenGL implementation for the GUI. but again, for XBMC to properly work we'd ideally need some kind of SDK and, most important, full access to the firmware/file system. and judging from the little I read at the samygo board, it may still be a long road...

you see, it's always a little annoying for devs to explain to end consumers over and over again why they can't have (at least right now) what they want, especially if the end consumer really does not know what he's talking about (exeDSP)...

first let the guys over at samygo do the groundwork, and if they're ready, maybe the XBMC devs will have some kind of ARM port ready which may or may not be easily modified to run on the samsung system.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Gregoire Wrote:It has about the same specs as a beagleboard. I think the umpff is there too. Don't know which drivers you are talking about. There's talk about someting called exe.dsp which is closed sourced but I have no idea what's so crucial about it.

Where can the latest source be found? And what's missing to make it work?

If its same as beagle it unlikely have enough umpfh for xbmc. And by drivers I mean 3D, lan, sound etc.. much of these can be propriery.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player?0