Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player?
Many thanks for all the valuable info,it will save me an endless amount of trouble and head scratching ( And I can't afford to lose any more hair !!!) Cheers Chas.
(2009-11-16, 11:58)everschueren Wrote: Is it possible to install XBMC on a Samsung UE40B7000?

I would like to use my PC as the XBMC server and my TV as a XBMC player, can this be done?

At this moment I can connect the XBMC server through DLNA with the standard Media Player on the TV, but I want the XMBC player including the cool GUI.

I am an absolute novice and help is appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

Evi

I have your exact problem with a Samsung 5500 series Tv,it will be fantastic if the team can come up with an answer. Cheers Chas.
Not going to happen yagiarray. Look at the time stamps this thread was started back in 2009 and it's now 2014 and nothings changed, Samsung are still producing locked down boutique platforms that their TV's run on.

Use an Android tablet running XBMC as the UI with the UPnP play using so the video plays on the Samsung, thats about as close you will get.
(2014-01-31, 16:22)Starstream Wrote: Not going to happen yagiarray. Look at the time stamps this thread was started back in 2009 and it's now 2014 and nothings changed, Samsung are still producing locked down boutique platforms that their TV's run on.

Use an Android tablet running XBMC as the UI with the UPnP play using so the video plays on the Samsung, thats about as close you will get.

The issue here is not Samsung.
On Samsung TV it is possible to get root privileges with Samygo.
You have access to telnet,ftp,smb,nfs etc...
Toolchain for cross copiling is available and some porting of complex binaries have been already done.
I'm not an expert of crosscompiling but I guess that XBMC can be ported to those TV that are running Linux OS.
The main issue might be that Start X is not available in the TV services.
(2014-09-02, 11:07)miazza Wrote:
(2014-01-31, 16:22)Starstream Wrote: Not going to happen yagiarray. Look at the time stamps this thread was started back in 2009 and it's now 2014 and nothings changed, Samsung are still producing locked down boutique platforms that their TV's run on.

Toolchain for cross copiling is available and some porting of complex binaries have been already done.
I'm not an expert of crosscompiling but I guess that XBMC can be ported to those TV that are running Linux OS.

No, it is Samsung. "Linux" covers a lot of things. There are toasters that run linux, but that doesn't mean that anything that runs on a linux-based OS can be ported to another linux-based OS. Just because you can get telnet or file sharing access means nothing. Even if it has all the right parts and libraries, that doesn't mean it would be practical when companies like Samsung change the systems between different TV models.

Samsung is the only one who can make developing applications for their TVs into something that is practical. The ball is in their court.
(2014-09-03, 05:54)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-09-02, 11:07)miazza Wrote:

No, it is Samsung. "Linux" covers a lot of things. There are toasters that run linux, but that doesn't mean that anything that runs on a linux-based OS can be ported to another linux-based OS. Just because you can get telnet or file sharing access means nothing. Even if it has all the right parts and libraries, that doesn't mean it would be practical when companies like Samsung change the systems between different TV models.

Samsung is the only one who can make developing applications for their TVs into something that is practical. The ball is in their court.

In principle you are right but come to visit the Samygo forum and you will see that some very sklilled persons have made a very well working porting of a famous CS SW.
This is very well working and I'm using it on a daily basis.
XBMC is of course a more complex stuff but I'm sure it is only a matter of having the interest in porting it (that is not the case for Samsung TV).
The pinned/sticky thread above about "Why XBMC for PS3, Wii, or Xbox360 will probably never happen!" explains all this pretty well too.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40236

Read that as the same goes for any (non-Android-based) Samsung/Sony/Philips/LG TV or your toaster/washing-machine that also runs Linux.

XBMC wouldn't even run on Android today if it wasn't for Google releasing their NDK
https://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Other than the minimum hardware and API requirements you need an SDK for porting native C/C++ apps, and not just an SDK for Java, etc.
(2014-09-03, 12:01)Hedda Wrote: The pinned/sticky thread above about "Why XBMC for PS3, Wii, or Xbox360 will probably never happen!" explains all this pretty well too.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40236

Read that as the same goes for any (non-Android-based) Samsung/Sony/Philips/LG TV or your toaster/washing-machine that also runs Linux.

XBMC wouldn't even run on Android today if it wasn't for Google releasing their NDK
https://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Other than the minimum hardware and API requirements you need an SDK for porting native C/C++ apps, and not just an SDK for Java, etc.

Your arguments are quite convincing Smile.
Anyhow it is quite a shame that on Samsung TV there isn't any MP supporting Samba/NFS natively and only a poor DLNA is available.
Probably we will never have XBMC running on our SmartTV and that's why I still hav my old modded XBOX on the front end of my dining room Wink
What makes you so sure about that. Did you check if all prerequesites for XBMC are availableon that platform?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
slightly off topic:
I'd prefer Samsung and all other TV makers offer a TV that has the same panel and processor as their high end TV, just without all the "Smart" crap.
I just want a good panel, I don't need all that bloatware. Hell, I don't even need a tuner in it..
You can easily buy a proper box for kodi with the saved money
Yeah I guess what you are talking about is just a BIG multi refresh-rate monitor, (with speakers).

Whenever these topics come up I always reinforce that XBMC is far smarter than any smart tv I have seen.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Feel free to call me stupid, but I still don't understand why is it impossible to make a Smart TV app like Plex did. I don't think anybody would expect a fully featured XBMC that's able to play formats that the TV isn't, just an interface that gives the similiar experience as the desktop or Android program does. They did it with Plex, so it's not impossible. There is a need for that from the users, so I guess it would worth a try to make it.
(2014-11-06, 23:53)sgtGiggsy Wrote: Feel free to call me stupid, but I still don't understand why is it impossible to make a Smart TV app like Plex did. I don't think anybody would expect a fully featured XBMC that's able to play formats that the TV isn't, just an interface that gives the similiar experience as the desktop or Android program does. They did it with Plex, so it's not impossible. There is a need for that from the users, so I guess it would worth a try to make it.

XBMC is not a server, but it does have some uPnP sharing built in.

uPnP is what most 'smart' tvs are equipped with.

What are you expecting this App to do, given the TV already has uPnP built in?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It's not impossible - there is simply no interrest for this within the current team. We're atm only interrested to port the real deal and not a crippled wannabe we'll be cursed for by users. Also we drastically lack developers (only ONE active Android, iOS and OSX dev atm - and Windows isn't that much better). You also might have noticed that our official Android remote is more then outdated - because we also don't have any dev with enough time for this. So with a really limited set of active devs, why do you think we would waste our time on a usless thinclient that only runs on a very limited set of HW and will by no means give you a somewhat pleasant Kodi experience?

We're desperately in need of new devs and everybody is welcome to jump in for any area he's interrested in. So if anybody feels like working on Kodi - start your engines and begin to contribute.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player?0