HOW-TO get my Home videos, documentaries etc into the XBMC video library
Ok for now I'll try this out:
http://weberjr.com/blog/?p=160

Movie Sets.. I'll just create a movie set called STANDUP and edit nfo files for each standup show (350+.. phew) Tongue

Anyone have a better solution please don't hesitate to post or pm me Smile
This is not a request thread, it is meant to help getting around the current limitations.
If you do not want to go this route, maybe movie sets would suit your needs?

But mixing the two (profiles + sets) is what I would do if I wanted to achieve what you describe.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The profile keymaps subfolder bug has been fixed in Camelot beta 2. Corrected the text in the first post to reflect that.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I am using two profiles as well to keep separate my kid's content and mine. However, I am experiencing problems with music. It does not seem to keep completely separate libraries and they get mixed up.

¿Does this happen to everyone? Huh
wimpy Wrote:Ok for now I'll try this out:
http://weberjr.com/blog/?p=160

Movie Sets.. I'll just create a movie set called STANDUP and edit nfo files for each standup show (350+.. phew) Tongue

Anyone have a better solution please don't hesitate to post or pm me Smile

Already did it? There might be a better way. Try using smart playlists. You will make separate playlists, but as a side effect your content will be categorized. Drawback is you cannot add those to favorites as that will play them all, but you will get custom categories.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pilluli Wrote:I am using two profiles as well to keep separate my kid's content and mine. However, I am experiencing problems with music. It does not seem to keep completely separate libraries and they get mixed up.

¿Does this happen to everyone? Huh
No, they are completely separated on all machines I have tried this on. Actually it's very strange that video content will stay separate and music not.
Post the contents of your profiles.xml to a pastebin service and we will have a look.
Thanks sho,

I finally managed to solve it and now of course I can have separated music libraries. The problem seems to be that when I created the profile it copied the media sources. I then modified the media source in the profile to point to another directory (kept the same name). After that, no albums in that media source where imported. However, I deleted the source, created a new one and all is working fine now.

Regards,
pecinko Wrote:Already did it? There might be a better way. Try using smart playlists. You will make separate playlists, but as a side effect your content will be categorized. Drawback is you cannot add those to favorites as that will play them all, but you will get custom categories.

Could you elaborate on how i could use this - i m looking to create a view of al my foreign films separately if it can be done - wht parm could i possibly use in the smart playlist?
While I cannot think of any single metadata or combination thereof that can weed out foreign films, but you can of course always add it (such as Genre - Foreign) via nfo files and then use smart playlists to show only those.
Another method might be to alter the filename on all foreign films and match with FILE and CONTAINS.
Or simply use separate profiles which this thread is all about Smile
huscoolcal Wrote:Could you elaborate on how i could use this - i m looking to create a view of al my foreign films separately if it can be done - wht parm could i possibly use in the smart playlist?

The most easy and natural way for me was to separate content to subfolders and then filter by PATH.

I.e.:
C:/Movies/Czech/<movie title..>
C:/Movies/Foreign/<movie title..>
C:/Movies/Kids/<movie title..>
etc.

Just choose your subfolder names conveniently, so they do not interfere with movie titles.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Ah, I missed path Smile
tks will give this a try
What do you use to separate your kids shows & movies (or any category you want separate) from the rest?

I use a kids profile, and have a 'swap profile' button mapped on my remote. Works, but lacks in W.A.F.

problems:

- it takes about 20 seconds or so to do the switch.

- often/randomly crashes that require restarting xbmc while loading other profile

- general annoyance of having to switch profiles several times per day

- having 2 sets of settings to tweak

My wife complains "why does it have to be separate, why can't it just say 'KIDS' on the home screen?

Many skins these days let you change home screen items and sub-items.

I've played around with it, but still can't seem to get it right. You can create playlists and have shortcuts to them, but after playing around with it - it just wasn't working. I still want to have the kids movies shown in a nice library view.

To those of you that separate media this way, what skin do you use, how well does it work, and how much work was it to set up?

What I would really like is on home screen, under movies, a sub menu "KIDS MOVIES" and under tv shows a submenu "KIDS TV". Kids media is simply stored into a 'KIDS' folder on the HDD. I do not, obviously, want this folder added to my main movies and tv library.

Cheers!
What you're wanting is not possible at the moment, AFAIK. Custom categories are planned for new library.

So you can either use profiles or smart playlists. You can combine them too.

However I stopped using them a while ago for the reasons similar to yours and switched to files mode.

EDIT: You could also use 3rd party media manager and go through custom genres.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

hmm, its too bad. It seems like everyone has something they want to separate, whether its stand-up, sports, kids, anime, etc.

For now I am switching to playlists, the Night skin makes it fairly easy to add to the home menu as submenus of movies and shows. The only downside now is that I can't view that stuff in library views, file view only. Otherwise I have to add it to the library and then it shows up in the regular 'movies' section.

Good enough for now, thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO get my Home videos, documentaries etc into the XBMC video library2