• 3(current)
Ellipsis Beta One - Released Friday 4th December 2009
Blackbolt Wrote:If you turn off fanart and don't use any custom wallpapers, then it runs fine

Will there still be a xbox version? with reduced textures?
jarod71 Wrote:Will there still be a xbox version? with reduced textures?

There's no need to now.

What we do is reduce the textures for xbox and put them into a 'Textures.xpr' file, the HD version uses the 'Textures.xbt'. So what we just send the same skin out with the two different XBT and XPR files and if you're using xbox it will only see the XPR with the reduced textures and if you're on PC, Linux or MAC it will use the full size XBT file.

We also have code within the skin to hide/show controls, windows based on what platform you're using, so you won't see any xbox stuff on the other platforms, but when you're using Ellipsis on your xbox, you will see all the correct options and windows.

We didn't actually figure out this XBT/XPR situation until the evening we released Beta Zero to testers. So it was a very very last minute addition that works rather well.
Team Blackbolt - Digital Design
Twitter.com/TeamBlackbolt | TeamBlackbolt.co.uk
Nice! Thanks for the explanation. One last question? Will we still be able to use fanart? And do you think memory use will be acceptable if one uses scaled down fanart (480p)?

I really want to retire my xbox but make this the final skin! By retire, I mean leave it a standalone with no more updates but still have it in use in the house.

I appreciate all the work and I am a beta donation user but I have recently had health issues and a trip to the E.R. that have prevented me from doing any testing on the Beta of your wonderful skin. For that I apologize. Looking forward to the complete release!
jarod71 Wrote:Nice! Thanks for the explanation. One last question? Will we still be able to use fanart? And do you think memory use will be acceptable if one uses scaled down fanart (480p)?

I really want to retire my xbox but make this the final skin! By retire, I mean leave it a standalone with no more updates but still have it in use in the house.

I appreciate all the work and I am a beta donation user but I have recently had health issues and a trip to the E.R. that have prevented me from doing any testing on the Beta of your wonderful skin. For that I apologize. Looking forward to the complete release!

Sorry to hear about your troubles and don't worry about the testing, we've had some good response from the others users, picking up your slack Wink! I hope you get well soon.

With response to your question. Yes reducing fanart will help memory issues a lot. Alls that happens is the xbox runs out of memory the more stuff you have on screen, ellipsis is pretty low in terms of texture memory, but fanart at full resolution will kill it.
Blackbolt Wrote:Sorry to hear about your troubles and don't worry about the testing, we've had some good response from the others users, picking up your slack Wink! I hope you get well soon.

With response to your question. Yes reducing fanart will help memory issues a lot. Alls that happens is the xbox runs out of memory the more stuff you have on screen, ellipsis is pretty low in terms of texture memory, but fanart at full resolution will kill it.

Great! I will be running this on a 42 inch 480p plasma. so 480p fanart still looks great. Mostly DVD ISO. and AVI/Divx. Cant wait. I want to move forward, havent decided on AppleTV, Acer revo or what. Like all the options available and know it will only get cheaper/better going forward. Still, my xbox gets the most use in my house and glad you were committed to supporting it till the end.
jarod71 Wrote:Great! I will be running this on a 42 inch 480p plasma. so 480p fanart still looks great. Mostly DVD ISO. and AVI/Divx. Cant wait. I want to move forward, havent decided on AppleTV, Acer revo or what. Like all the options available and know it will only get cheaper/better going forward. Still, my xbox gets the most use in my house and glad you were committed to supporting it till the end.

Well it has been hard sometimes having to drop things incase it destroyed xbox usability. But this is definitely our last Xbox skin. Anything we do forward of Ellipsis will not be Xbox focused. That doesnt stop the awesome skin modders here getting their teeth into something and making it work on xbox!
Something else to look forward to in December.. What a month Big Grin

Good work guys, I know this is going to be stella, Team B worked wonders on Experiance and the legend that is blackbolt surely won't disapoint.

Not long to go now...
Quick question about the screenshot below - wasn't Ellipsis meant to do away with any labels and be solely icon based?

You can shut it off in the skin settings Smile
That's cool, looking really nice by the way.
Hitcher Wrote:That's cool, looking really nice by the way.

Yeah about 6 months in it was becoming a real hassle having the labels turned off by default, so they're on by default now. But if you don't have thumbnails for videos you have no way to know what file you have highlighted. We still follow the mantra off no text/icon only everywhere we can do. In settings windows, in the dock with the visual options, but we still keep the text labels on by default.

If we do another skin, I am really going to investigate a more icon based approach to everything.
Daft question but I'll ask as I feel it is best not to assume...

Will Ellipsis work without issue under the current stable version of xbmc 9.04

Just wanted to check.

Thanks very much for your help.
adr3nal1n Wrote:Daft question but I'll ask as I feel it is best not to assume...

Just wanted to check.

I'm pretty sure that will be a big fat NO

but don't quote me on it
adr3nal1n Wrote:Daft question but I'll ask as I feel it is best not to assume...

Just wanted to check.

Jezz_X is correct. Ellipsis requires, at very least, the latest beta of XBMC 9.11. There are elements that will also require a build even newer than that of the the current Camelot builds, but not essential to work.
Ok thanks for your help guys,

I was looking forward to using this skin but I'll wait until the next stable release of xbmc before I try it.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ellipsis Beta One - Released Friday 4th December 20090