Need Suggestion for best general settings for high bitrate m2ts H264 playback.
I'll keep this short -

Movie title - Bridge to Terabithia, H.264, high bitrate file.

Upon playing this file from NAS it plays back choppy and uneven with a very serious amount of lost frames. I have it set to AC3 mixdown 2 channels and on an iMac 2ghrz, 128 vid ATI. Audio is set to Analogue.

I believe this is all about settings. On Plex, it plays relatively fine and very few lost frames or judder. Same film play section - over 700 frames on XBMC, Plex has less than 50. Of the latter I use the more aggressive filter for H264 which renders a slightly softer image but 'smooth' playback. Again this suggest I should be able to set XBMC similarly.

If someone has a good rule of thumb for settings for high bitrate movies, please lend me a hand. (or point me to the right area on line here to get info.)

My goal is to be fairly familiar with XBMC before moving over to Linux. On OSX, I do have some savvy with Plex and naturally, in certain areas related to this post, it appears Plex and XBMC go their separate 'paths.' I have a nice Mac Mini waiting to be permanently hooked up to my HDTV.

Thanks to any and all in advance.

- Phrehdd
phrehdd Wrote:I'll keep this short -

Movie title - Bridge to Terabithia, H.264, high bitrate file.

Upon playing this file from NAS it plays back choppy and uneven with a very serious amount of lost frames. I have it set to AC3 mixdown 2 channels and on an iMac 2ghrz, 128 vid ATI. Audio is set to Analogue.

I believe this is all about settings. On Plex, it plays relatively fine and very few lost frames or judder. Same film play section - over 700 frames on XBMC, Plex has less than 50. Of the latter I use the more aggressive filter for H264 which renders a slightly softer image but 'smooth' playback. Again this suggest I should be able to set XBMC similarly.

If someone has a good rule of thumb for settings for high bitrate movies, please lend me a hand. (or point me to the right area on line here to get info.)

My goal is to be fairly familiar with XBMC before moving over to Linux. On OSX, I do have some savvy with Plex and naturally, in certain areas related to this post, it appears Plex and XBMC go their separate 'paths.' I have a nice Mac Mini waiting to be permanently hooked up to my HDTV.

Thanks to any and all in advance.

- Phrehdd

"more aggressive filter for H264" on Plex means using the h.264 skiploopfilter. It's actually skipping an inner decode loop.

In advancedsettings.xml (make it if it does not exist) set

<advancedsettings>
<skiploopfilter>8</skiploopfilter>
</advancedsettings>
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

One question - what is the path so I can drop it in? I cannot find it within XBMC on Mac.

- Phrehdd
phrehdd Wrote:Thanks, I'll give it a try.

One question - what is the path so I can drop it in? I cannot find it within XBMC on Mac.

- Phrehdd

~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/
davilla Wrote:~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/

ATV users ---> /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/userdata/
davilla: "...then all will be clear and everyone will go "hollysh**, I can't believe this happened"
davilla Wrote:"more aggressive filter for H264" on Plex means using the h.264 skiploopfilter. It's actually skipping an inner decode loop.

<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

Hi Davilla,

In plex there are three settings, Low/Med/High. Any idea what these might correspond to in numbers for the value above?

Thanks
davilla Wrote:"more aggressive filter for H264" on Plex means using the h.264 skiploopfilter. It's actually skipping an inner decode loop.

<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

Hi, does a value of 8 correspond to 'High' in Plex? I have some videos that play fine in Plex that are jerky in XBMC. As they use the same player I am guessing it's down to settings but I have no idea which.

In Plex I have H264 speed boost set to 'High'

Thanks
I'm interested in this as well, as I've been seeing more judder in my 1080p playback on my older mini (2.16ghz). It should be able to handle most 1080p, but in "Cars" for example, when showing the stadium, judder is very apparent. I'm going to install plex again to see how it handles it, and attempt to add the setting above.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Suggestion for best general settings for high bitrate m2ts H264 playback.0