• 30(current)
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver?
vikjon0 Wrote:No, thats not what I am talking about. I have tested both downgrading xbmcLive from 26 => 25 and upgrading to an un-official .37 and I know very well that it is based on Lucid. Both solution is working fine but the latter is perhaps more risky. Downgrading to 25 I think have to be regarded as a safe solution.

Never mind. I know you have a fix and I will keep out of the discussion.

Perhaps you misunderstand me, I was merely trying to establish what your suggestion had to do with lirc drivers. since so little details.

If that unnoficial kernel solution works for you, perhaps it would be of interest to others...

What Im saying is do an how-to so as to present information in how-to fix in different ways.

I would be intersted reading what you would have to post, I think your quite able so please share?? Smile

I vote you should post your solution... I like choice and encourage it.
Quote:Perhaps you misundertsnad me, I was merely trying to establish what your suggestion had to do with lirc drivers.
Ok, Then I did indeed misunderstod you. Sorry. I think I also need to be more clear with the version numbers...I think I confuse even myself.

When I downgrade to 2.6.32-25 (from Live -26) I use the .deb from asrock.
When I upgrade to 2.6.37 I dont need to do anything else except re-install nvidia.

Actually when I follow the link in kridued's post above I see what I guess is the latest version of your guide. It looks very clear, I think you have improved it since the first time I saw it, at that time I got the impression that it was too much of a workaround. Now it looks fine.
Quote:You'll see that ubuntu backported some of the lirc into the kernel stuff so you don't need to install a 2.6.37 the ubuntu kernel 2.6.35 is good for

Ok, interesting that they have released a 10.10 based live. However, I am not sure what else is included in the freakLive, my dutch is a bit rusty.

But if 2.6.35 does work with 330HT that is very interesting! There seem to be a 2.6.35 available for Lucid. I will test that when I have some time.
Decided to try out Dharma 10 yesterday and trash my perfectly working (apart suspend/autoresume issue) ASRock. Luckily I had a spare HDD to play with as due to the lack of suspend working I decided to buy myself a SSD to speed up the boot process.

Anyways, point of this post? To thank X3lectric for his remote How-to as this got my remote working with no issues both times I installed Dharma from scratch Big Grin (did a trial run on my old HDD first)

I tried doing just an upgrade from 9.11 to 10 but although the xbmc upgrade worked perfectly I assume my kernel was too old for the remote drivers? Each time I tried to step trough the How-to it would fail so I was left with a partial working remote, fully functional within xbmc but would not boot the ASRock. As I don't know how to do a kernel upgrade Blush I went for a clean rebuild and it all works well......apart from that damn autoresume issue Angry

So thanks X3lectric for taking the trouble to write up the How-to Big Grin
@ andyjayh

thx feel free to rep up...

It was no trouble per say, I like helping others, shame theres not more of us...
Quote:You'll see that ubuntu backported some of the lirc into the kernel stuff so you don't need to install a 2.6.37 the ubuntu kernel 2.6.35 is good for me.

Ok, I have now tested. 2.6.35 does not work with the remote out of the box the way 2.6.37 does. I'm sure it is possible to get it work but the drivers for 330HT is not included.
I installed the latest xbmcfreak iso for my Asrock ION 330 HT.
XBMCFreak Nuvoton 10.00 Experimental version 1 [link] [download]

Sadly, the remote didn't work - like the last time. (does it ever work Wink )

Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-27-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 1 23:52:12 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS - XBMCLive Welcome to Ubuntu!

So I used X3lectric's instructions [here]
Note to X3lectric - I found your links hard to copy/paste as you didn't code your links.

However, Bingo ! remote is working with resume ! what a dream. Smile

What I did:
(1) installed the xbmcfreak release (as above).
(2) I booted to xbmc, pressed control+alt+F2 to get to the Terminal. I typed in ifconfig and determined the IP address of the XBMC box (It was 192.168.1.118)
Quote:root@XBMCLive:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:xx:xx:xx:xx:x
inet addr:192.168.1.118 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
(3) Then I downloaded PuTTy [here] on my Windows PC on the LAN. Ran putty.exe, entered the IP of the XBMC and logged into the XBMC from the Windows PC. Smile

Essentially I just copied these commands (i used the x32 version) and the pasted them into PuTTy
Note: to paste things to putty just right click on the screen.

Code:
==== for x32 systems =====
wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/stable-vdr/ubuntu/pool/main/n/nct677x-dkms/lirc-nct677x-src_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb
wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/stable-vdr/ubuntu/pool/main/n/nct677x-dkms/nct677x-dkms_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

dpkg -i nct677x-dkms_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb
dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-src_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb
dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

==== for x64 systems ====
Code:
wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/stable-vdr/ubuntu/pool/main/n/nct677x-dkms/lirc-nct677x-src_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb
wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/stable-vdr/ubuntu/pool/main/n/nct677x-dkms/nct677x-dkms_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

dpkg -i nct677x-dkms_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb
dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-src_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb
dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

The remote worked right away. Thanks X3lectric Smile

X3lectric reminds you that:
Quote:Your remote should work staright away without reboot BUT
If after this your remote dont work try:
dpkg-reconfigure lirc (you may need to run this several times untils theres no errors)
Always select nuvoton receivers and transceivers on first screen and "none" on second...
IMPORTANT Please ensure you dont have PAE kernels...
ONLY linux-image-generic x86 or x64 or 386 are compatible with the drivers.
ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.
Hi all,

I've just completed a fresh installation of Ubuntu 10.10 desktop on my ASRock 330HT, and after installing the remote driver from the ASRock web site, my remote is working perfectly. All I had to do was follow the instructions from the ASRock website...

Ubuntu is running with the standard kernel: 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Still trying to figure out if sound over HDMI is working with the nvidia-current drivers from ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates... initial test failed. Will keep trying, whenever my wife gives me access to the TV...

Btw. the x-swat version of the nvidia drivers is 260.19.29-0ubuntu1~xup~maverick3
Edit
Spent about 5 hours this afternoon trying literally all "solutions" for HDMI sound that I could find in these forums and others, without success. I can manage to get simple stereo out of XBMC, but nothing multi-channel. In ubuntu itself I *can* can multi-channel in some apps (SMPlayer for one), but the channel mapping is messed up (eg LFE comes out of SR etc). Tried various methods of getting the channel mapping corrected, no luck.

If anybody has this definitely working on an ASRock 300HT connected to an AV Receiver (HK AVR255 in my case) over HDMI, please let me know...

Rgds
I have just upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 and xbmc 10.0. Unfortunately i have had problems getting my remote to work again under lirc.

I followed X3lectric's instructions here without succes, and now i can't remove the package Sad

Code:
sudo dpkg -r nct677x-dkms
(Reading database ... 284098 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nct677x-dkms ...

Error! There are no instances of module: nct677x
1.0.1 located in the DKMS tree.
dpkg: error processing nct677x-dkms (--remove):
subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 3
Errors were encountered while processing:
nct677x-dkms

********* Update *********
Uninstall fix:
sudo dkms remove -m nct677x -v 1.0.4 --all
sudo dpkg -r nct677x-dkms

Made it possible to remove the nct677x-dkms package

But I still can't get my remote up and running again.
Any hints for troubleshooting? Or a link with info about it?

********* Update 2 *************
After complete removal and reinstall of lirc and driver packages I got my remote to work again using X3lectric's instructions here. It seems that something messed up in lirc during dist upgrade.

Big thx to X3lectric Big Grin

System: Asrock 330HT-BD, Ubuntu 10.04 2.6.32-27-generic, XBMC 10.0
Does anyone have the details of the remote mappings ?

I want to plot them on a picture Smile

ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.
hansson Wrote:********* Update 2 *************
After complete removal and reinstall of lirc and driver packages I got my remote to work again using X3lectric's instructions here. It seems that something messed up in lirc during dist upgrade.

I still don't understand why anything non-standard like this is required. As I wrote below, I just completed a fresh install of Ubuntu Maverick and just followed the installation instructions from the ASRock web site, and the remote worked. No need to download alternative drivers from anywhere else...

Granted, I didn't yet attempt an upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10, but to be honest I don't expect anything different with that compared to a fresh install.

Rgds
Quote:I still don't understand why anything non-standard
Because xbmcLive is ubuntu 10.04 and have kernel version 2.6.32-26 and Asrock have a driver for 2.6.32-25 which does not work for -26. Obviously we have tried.

I guess if you upgrade your kernel it will stop working again.

I am aware of three methods of which I guess X3lectric's is the most simple. The alternative is to downgrade to -25 or upgrade to 2.6.37. The latter have the drivers included in the kernel! I would recommend the upgrade but the 37 kernel is not released officially yet.
vikjon0 Wrote:Because xbmcLive is ubuntu 10.04 and have kernel version 2.6.32-26 and Asrock have a driver for 2.6.32-25 which does not work for -26. Obviously we have tried.

Blush Oops... didn't notice we were discussing 10.04 here...

Makes me glad though that I didn't upgrade my main XBMC installation *ever*, so that it's still on 2.6.32-22 and my remote didn't stop working.
Just wanted to check if anyone else is experiencing sub-par reception with the ion330 remote? It basically works okay-ish for me, but i have a drop out now and then (roughly 1 in 5 keypresses), and the broad daylight performance is really bad (only about 1 in 10 presses is received).

Where is the ir receiver actually located? Is that behind the grill, or does any of the leds on the front also serve as a receiver (don't know if that is even possible)?

Thanks,
lite
Hi litemotiv, I also get poor reception intermittently. I find replacing the batteries sometimes helps.

Other things to try are raising/lowering the gap value in your lircd.conf.

Which version of Linux, XBMC and kernel are you running?
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver?1