Mixed media play list
Is there any other way to mix audio and videos in a play list other than using the smart play list feature? In experimenting with it, I only seem to be able to add video to a music play list if the video is part of the Music Videos library, which doesn't fit with what I would like to be able to do. Here are some of the scenarios I would like to be able to do:

1. I have a a play list set up for my daughter that includes her favorite music. In addition to her music, she likes songs from some of the cartoons that I have. Examples would be things like School House Rock, Looney Tunes ("What's Opera Doc?") etc. which all happen to be currently organized in my TV Shows area. It would be nice to be able to make a play list that allowed me to intermix her music with these TV shows/videos, without having to retag them as Music Videos (which they technically aren't.)

2. I used to go to this bar that would mix famous movie clips in between every couple songs. It would be nice to be able do this in xbmc song play lists for parties and other events. (I realize of course that bring up a separate issue of creating and cataloging movie clips, but I think I could find a way to make that work with the existing libraries.)

As far as I can tell, the only way I could do either of these now would be to duplicate the clips and set them up as music videos, creating manual nfo files (since they likely wouldn't show up through the scraper.)

If I a missing something obvious, please let me know. If not, it would seem like there should be a feature to allow for mixed play lists that include items from all of the libraries, not just the Music Video and Music libraries.
I'm not sure if this still works, but it used to....

If you add video extensions (.avi, .mpeg etc.) in advancedsettings.xml under music file extensions, you will be able to create a playlist of both videos and music. You will need to browse and add the videos in 'File Mode' in Music. It probably works the opposite way too (adding music file extensions in the video extensions section).
extension23 Wrote:I only seem to be able to add video to a music play list if the video is part of the Music Videos library

That works now? Sweet.

Edit: No, it doesn't :-( How did you achieve mixing music videos and music files other than through a smart playlist?
DarkHelmet Wrote:That works now? Sweet.

Edit: No, it doesn't :-( How did you achieve mixing music videos and music files other than through a smart playlist?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The only way I have been able to get it to work at all is with the smart playlist.
snoxbox Wrote:I'm not sure if this still works, but it used to....

If you add video extensions (.avi, .mpeg etc.) in advancedsettings.xml under music file extensions, you will be able to create a playlist of both videos and music. You will need to browse and add the videos in 'File Mode' in Music. It probably works the opposite way too (adding music file extensions in the video extensions section).

I hadn't heard or thought of that... I tried it though (both ways) and it isn't working for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mixed media play list0