[LINUX] xbmc interface very slow
Sad 
xbmc interface is very very slow. I have ~0.1 FPS and 100% CPU usage (~99% is xbmc). It is completly unusable. :-(

Build
Camelot Alpha2 from PPA

My system
Ubuntu Karmic Koala
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Mobile CPU 1.60GHz
GPU: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M6 LY
(using OSS drivers radeon)
RAM: 256 MiB

glxinfo
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R100 (RV100 4C59) 20090101 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE2 NO-TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.6

I have tried to change Vsync settings (on, off, video) with no success. Also I have tried changing resolution and full screen/windowed mode with same result.

Any suggestion?
Try the binary drivers for the ATI card.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Try the binary drivers for the ATI card.

Same problem here, ubuntu 9.10 with ati 9200 board

I don't think that installing the binary drivers will be of any help, it seems that they don't support cards earlier than 9500

Any help would be appreciated !
boludo Wrote:Same problem here, ubuntu 9.10 with ati 9200 board

I don't think that installing the binary drivers will be of any help, it seems that they don't support cards earlier than 9500

Any help would be appreciated !

Yes there are no drivers from AMD.

At first change skin from PM3.HD to Project Mayhem III. Performance will go up like hell Big Grin

This will be good suggestion to devs: Change default Skin is too slow for older HW.
PipBoy2000 Wrote:At first change skin from PM3.HD to Project Mayhem III. Performance will go up like hell Big Grin

Thx PipBoy. I managed to change the skin but it didn't change anything...

When I say the interface is very slow, it's VERY slow, something like a frame every 4 seconds...
I think there's a problem with hardware acceleration it's like the CPU is doing all the job (info: direct rendering is enabled and glxgears runs smoothly with a result of about 1400fps)

There must be something obvious...
boludo Wrote:Thx PipBoy. I managed to change the skin but it didn't change anything...

When I say the interface is very slow, it's VERY slow, something like a frame every 4 seconds...
I think there's a problem with hardware acceleration it's like the CPU is doing all the job (info: direct rendering is enabled and glxgears runs smoothly with a result of about 1400fps)

There must be something obvious...

well I am sorry to hear(see) this, because 0.1 FPS WAS exactly my problem, have you tried to play with vsync settings? (maybe...)
I have the same issue on a thinkpad T40 (ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]) running karmic.
The only solution I found so far is to downgrade these 2 packages with the Jaunty versions:
libgl1-mesa-dri (http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/l...i/download)
libgl1-mesa-glx (http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/l...x/download)

There are still glitches if run in a window but fullscreen works ok.
I know this is nearly one year old, but I seem to be having the same issue with very similar hardware. Did you find any solutions to this in the end?
recently I switched to use the open-source radeon driver from fglrx and I encounter the same issue. XBMC GUI renders slow like hell. But I have figured out the solution.

I know this is extremely old thread but I just want to post my solution here to help other googlers. My solution is just run xbmc, go to system settings, and disable video output vsync. XBMC immediately come back to normal.
I had the same issue. Here is how I resolved it. I thought it may be because I had an HP laptop (and it still maybe the issue) with no Windows 8 video drivers that was slowing my video down and made it look like slow motion so I restored my computer with Windows 7 OS. I ran the same video that I had just ran earlier and it ran at normal speed. While watching the video I adjusted my system/system/audio output from 2.0 speaker configuration to 4.1 and the video immediately went into slow motion. I adjusted it back to 2.0 and it ran at normal speed. I then restored my OS back to windows 8 and adjusted my system/system/audio output to 2.0 on the speaker configuration and it ran at normal speed again. I hope this helps others because I spent many hours figuring this out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] xbmc interface very slow0