• 6(current)
Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC
Affini Wrote:I've love to see this happen... so much that I posted a [req] in the Linux forum before you posted.
Feature requests goes into this forum, merging your post into this one.

@althekiller, Affini is right about "Multi-Zone Audio" beging a feature that could belong in a media center software like XBMC, (there are a few other HTPC softwares that have this function to for example output webradio to one room, output MP3 music-files in a other room, and listen to an audio-book in a third-room all at the same time, ...but multi-zone audio could also mean broadcasting the same audio stream to multiple devices and playing them all at the same time in sync with each other).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
So I think this is a great idea and have a couple of suggestions. First, while PulseAudio seems to be the best for maintaining an opensource solution on both ends (server/client), building a PulseAudio client isn't exactly very cheap. The cheapest elegent solution I have come up with is to use an Alix 3c3 AMD Geode board, but fully assembled with a wireless card puts it at around $200 and doesn't come with SPDIF, although it may be possible to have the developer include it.

It would be nice to have additional support for the readily availible AirPort Express from Apple. It really is a nice piece of hardware and for $99 it's worth the money. Here is a link to some source code that has the ability to stream audio to the Airport.

http://nanocr.eu/software/justeport/

And additional software built on top of justeport

http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/

I think having both PulseAudio and AirPort support would be great. Thanks.

Dustin
@Gamester17

I wish my request had not been moved from the Linux forum as it is different that this thread. I'm wanting Multi-Zone control from XBMC, not sync'ing or streaming.

I'd like a central XBMC interface (Linux, Windows, etc) that can control multiple sound cards within that same PC.. the sound cards then connect to amps and run to speakers. XBMC would be the only control, not sending to independant boxes, as this thread was intended for.

Please separate these feature requests into different threads as they are functionally and technically different.

@althekiller

You contribute to the community and I truly appreciate it but this is an area I've been doing as a serious hobby for 7 years and have been using Homeseer for 6 years. I wrote an XBMC python script 2.5 yrs ago to control my Homeseer... so yes, I know what I'm talking about 100%.

HomeControl script v1.5 : Homeseer / X10 ... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=homeseer

althekiller Wrote:.. as homeseer and xlobby are both HARDWARE solutions and a few of those other apps just use PLUGINS to access this hardware. That being said, I suggest you learn python.

Your above statement is 100% wrong. All apps I mentioned are software, not hardware. I've used every one myself. They are hardware independent... they run on nearly ANY Windows based PC. My Homeseer is running on an old mini desktop P3-500 w/ 386MB ram with WinXP.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Affini Wrote:@Gamester17

I wish my request had not been moved from the Linux forum as it is different that this thread. I'm wanting Multi-Zone control from XBMC, not sync'ing or streaming.

I'd like a central XBMC interface (Linux, Windows, etc) that can control multiple sound cards within that same PC.. the sound cards then connect to amps and run to speakers. XBMC would be the only control, not sending to independant boxes, as this thread was intended for.

Please separate these feature requests into different threads as they are functionally and technically different.
OK, though I can not revert the merge but I have renamed this one to "Multi-Room Sync of Audio/Video". You can start a new topic-thread for "Multi-Zone Audio/Video Support" which cleqrly describes that request however the new topic-thread should still go in to this forum, the XBMC platform-independent and XBMC for Xbox Feature Suggestions forum, (not the Linux Support Forum).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Neil Wrote:I wonder if you could run OSXBMC on each TV and then use screen sharing to sync the a/v?

Do Linux and Windows have screen sharing, or something like it, too?
It looks like Pulseaudio is implementing Airtunes as a Sink, http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/69

Dustin
PulseAudio sounds like a great solution! I've wanted sync'd streaming of audio across a network and with the inclusion of PulseAudio in Ubuntu Hardy should mean more support. Oh, and it's really easy to do ProjectM (Milkdrop) visualizations with pulse audio in hardy. So anything going through Pulse gets reactions from the visualizer. Just my $0.02. I think this feature would be great.
There is squeezeslave for squeezecenter. It does the right protocol and so should allow synching. I run a squeezeslave in the background on my windows machine though, so it works but has nothing to do with XBMC.
I would like to fire up XBMC on one of my machine - the one hooked up to the big TV and speakers, etc - and use it as an output server.

I'd like to use laptops/other machines to push music and even video to the server machine. Probably using zeroconf or a similar technology to do xbmc server discovery.
Guys,
I'm afraid that you're all barking up the wrong tree here. Trust me, I've done this, and do it for a living every day. Even if you the xbox's were to somehow sync up what they are playing, you still wouldn't have perfectly in sync music with the method you're proposing. The reason is that different receivers take different amounts of time in milliseconds to output their audio. Try it some time. You can take two different receivers, put them both on the same radio station, and more often than not you'll have a very slight, but noticable, difference in the output.

The method that will definately work, and is better anyway, is to have one centralized xbox that outputs to a multi channel amp, which then ties in to ceiling speakers in different rooms. This is basic distributed audio 101 here, guys. I'm actually setting this up myself.

Controlling this in other rooms is where things get more tricky, but it's not really all that challenging when break it down.

You'll want a volume knob in each room that is wired in between the amp and the speaker. This will allow you to set different volume levels in each room. For most of you this is all you will need. Most people only want multi-zone audio for parties and such and don't mind controlling their playlist from a central location where the xbox lives.

For anyone else that DOES want control in each room, you've got a couple options. First off, the easiest solution is to have some sort of computer in each room where you can control the xbox from the web interface. Done deal.

Secondly, (and what I'm going with) is to use some sort of TV or tiny wall-mounted monitor in each room that is wired to the video ouptut of the xbox. This allows you to have full display. Then, for control you'll want a wall-mounted universal remote such as a RTI RKM-1 found here http://www.rticorp.com/products/rkm1.html or, way more expensinve http://www.universalremote.com/product_d...?model=136

Anyone that has any questions at all I will be glad to help. I do this shit every day Big Grin
the problem with that is splitting an HD signal and sending all over the house will cost thousands of dollars. SD is cheap enough over coax, but that's what I already have now. This all about going to HD.
It's always analog at the speaker, m8.

All you have to do is keep it digital up to the amp, which this does. The only wires going all over the house are the amplified speaker wires.

If you're talking distributed, in sync video, then yeah I guess that's a whole different issue, although I don't really see how you can watch two things at the same time... so it doesnt really matter if one tv is out of sync with another by a few seconds...
yes, this thread is about syncing audio AND video. I agree with you though about audio. If that is all you want, then just get a reel of speaker wire. Control it over wifi with an iPhone or an iPod Touch.
Gamester17 Wrote:Not open source = no go, simple as that.

Airfoil !

I Respect the the 'open source' credo !
But I did try Airfoil, which I use for streaming music for other stuff, and
Airfoil doesn't play properly with XBMC anyway ! So don't get frustrated.
These guys are smart and they'll find a solution !
I'm running the new Atlantis with Tiger on an Intel iMac duo core.
(no Xbox)
There is a way to do this successfully but I wouldn't know how to do it. Rather than having a central server "stream" the content to all of the other devices, you can use NTP (network time protocol) to synchronize the time between multiple players. Then each of these players can play local copies of the same files (or over the network as files which uses less bandwidth than streaming the actual playback of the files) and have a process that syncs the time of every few keyframes. Minimal network bandwidth (as much as is required to play a file over the network) and the synchronization should be perfect as it's only syncronizing the time via NTP; each xbox handles the milliseconds of adjustment at each iteration.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC0