• 2(current)
Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC
here's what i want...

i want to be able to play/stream mp3s on one xbox [say in my bedroom] and hear them there, and then be able to have my 2nd xbox [in my livingroom] pickup the stream and play the audio as well. thus filling my entire house with the same music.

i know the xbmc already has the ability to listen to streaming shoucast, but i also want the ability to play/stream it. this could turn the xbox into a private or even public streaming internet radio station.
i have 2 xboxs the run xbmc almost exclusively. (one upstairs, one downstairs) i've found it invaluable for being able to quickly pull up a movie for my daughter without having to hassle with dvds and also use it quite a bit for playing music.

since the xbox already has autodetection built in and is able to communicate between xboxs, how hard would it be to have it automatically play the same video or audio file to both at once?

i had originally thought this would be a very small niche of people that might be able to use this, but obviously if there is enough interest to add autodetection there must be a significant number of people like myself with multiple xbmc's running.

thank you,

jeff

recommend you add a button to home page for autodection to stream off an autodetected xbox.

vis tag is ...... system.autodetection
onclick to run it is ..... xbmc.activatewindow(my files,autodetection)

Smile
hi!!!

i've wonder .. if it can be used to stream music, for example:

i have an xbox in my bedroom and another in my room, i start to listen one album, in the bedroom, and i would like to keep listening in my room...

it is possible to have some kind of feature that alow me to listen to the same music in the 2 xbox's?!

thanks in advance....

and a great thanks for the xbmc
yes it can be used for that when v2 is standised ill release a pm3 modded skin that allows streaming for any deltected xbox or transfering via home page
controlling the other xbox, and transfering files between is fairly simple to impliment. but there is no way to sync the two players exactly due to many factors (caching, network latency)

there is no system available to sync the players. if the boxes are in the same room you will notice the audio and video is out of sync
thats true
i want an xbox in each room.

i want xbmc to be able to list other lan xbmc instances on other xboxes (like xblive).

i want to know what those instances are doing (video, music, etc).

i want to be able to sync/unsync to that.

thats all i ask.
i made a formal request on sourceforge for this:
1. xbmc would be aware of other lan instances of xbmc
running (similar to xbox live being aware of your
"friends" and what they are doing).

2. xbmc would be able to synchronize to other lan
instances of xbmc. this would allow multi-zone
audio/video. (i.e. xbmc in garage that controls
speakers outside pool could be sync'ed to music playing
in the house)

3. xbmc would be able to synchronize other lan xbmc
instances to it. again, allowing multi-zone audio.
(i.e. xbmc could set other xboxes that are connected to
stereos to the same music playlist - playing music
throughout a house)

please post if you feel this would be something interesting to you.

also, help me with this thought:
if you had ir transmitters you could technically power on other systems throughout the house with one remote? i'm thinking maybe even a palm pilot with omniremote or something similar in each room.

maybe a pocketpc and do a webserver - you could control xbmc from the pilot, with omniremote or some ir type program to power on and off the device?
see this thread for discussion regarding potential solutions.

this is a great feature if it can be done correctly.

biggest problem will be syncing. slightest delay will be detectable. theres a lot of smart guys that dev for xbmc so i'm sure it wont be major.

the sync feature could be either restart and play on all or a "catch up" sync that will start the living room xbox at whatever point the kitchen is on.
Anyway to do this? I wanna have another device(maybe xbox, maybe squeezebox? or some other device) refer to the xbox for what it is playing to play that from the same source at the same time? Bit out there?...I'll get my coat....Rofl
Check out http://www.sonos.com
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

running an icecast/shoutcast server and streaming that doesn't really do anything with regard to sync because the different clients will have slightly different buffers, and thus be out of sync. you need a protocol that actually has sync built into it...
just FYI.
This is a great idea. If it ever happens I'll pee my pants.
SleepyP is totally right. The xbox doesn't support multicast but it supports broadcast which is enough to do that. However that doesn't guarantee that in time, playback will drift. A need for synchronization is required.
FYI, now that UPnP is implemented, it will be possible to stream content to other xboxes (or even a PC). This is a planned feature for after 2.0.

Cheers
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synchronize music/video multicast-stream playback to multiple instances of XBMC0