Can't play .MPG movies on XBMC running on Apple TV
Have just imported several .MPG movies from my Sony HD camcorder into my NAS.

In this NAS, I have a share folder and 2 sub-folders, named Movies (movies downloaded from the Internet and are mainly .AVI) and this newly created Camcorder Movies (which are all .MPG)

In XBMC, I created a new source by pointing to this newly created subfolder. The other Movies subfolder I have been using to watch movies without any problems for months now.

When I browse this Camcorder Movies subfolder on my iMac, I see all 154 MPG movies and I can watch then with VLC - If I try to watch them with Quicktime player, it won't play.

But on XBMC, when I select this source, it brings only one file named M2u.mpg which is not even seen on my iMac and when I try to exit using the Menu button on the remote, XBMC returns an error message with status 11.

Any clues?
Forgot to mention that I'm on the latest Apple TV 3.0.2 version and XBMC 9.04.1
fschaeffer Wrote:Have just imported several .MPG movies from my Sony HD camcorder into my NAS.

In this NAS, I have a share folder and 2 sub-folders, named Movies (movies downloaded from the Internet and are mainly .AVI) and this newly created Camcorder Movies (which are all .MPG)

In XBMC, I created a new source by pointing to this newly created subfolder. The other Movies subfolder I have been using to watch movies without any problems for months now.

When I browse this Camcorder Movies subfolder on my iMac, I see all 154 MPG movies and I can watch then with VLC - If I try to watch them with Quicktime player, it won't play.

But on XBMC, when I select this source, it brings only one file named M2u.mpg which is not even seen on my iMac and when I try to exit using the Menu button on the remote, XBMC returns an error message with status 11.

Any clues?

Start by posting a debug log please. read my signature on how to do that.

Zeljko
I think I did it.
Actually did not even hace to download the application you suggested.
Basically once logged it, I did a cat on the xmbc.log and pasted its content to pastebin.com.
here's the link:

http://pastebin.com/m4db31196

Let me know if it's readble.
fschaeffer Wrote:I think I did it.
Actually did not even hace to download the application you suggested.
Basically once logged it, I did a cat on the XBMC.log and pasted its content to pastebin.com.
here's the link:

http://pastebin.com/m4db31196

Let me know if it's readble.

Little confused here, your original post was about non-playing MPG files, but your xbmc.log shows an avi file ?

There are several PortAudio errors, XBMC for Mac does not use that anymore. I suggest giving the 9.11.a2 version a try.
Hi, strange about the .avi file - maybe I could have played another file before doing the log file.

Any any rate, I did upgrade to 9.11.a2 and here's the outcome:

- I now see all the .MPG movies when selecting the source with these movies
- when I select any of them, the image is fine but the audio is terrible and apparently sot synced with the video
- on my iMac, these files show as Multiplexed MPEG - 1/2. Does that mean it won't play in XBMC?

- one major change I noticed with this XBMC beta version is that now when playing any movie, when I press the Play/Pause button on the remote, it pauses, where as before it would bring a transparent Menu with the movie playing, where I could do several things, like changing the subtitle, fastforward 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, etc. Did this disappear?
- another thing that changed was while playing a movie, if I'd press Menu button in the remote, I would continue playing the movie, and I could browse the XBMC menu. Now it simply goes back to the previous Menu and stops the movie...

Regards
fschaeffer Wrote:Hi, strange about the .avi file - maybe I could have played another file before doing the log file.

Any any rate, I did upgrade to 9.11.a2 and here's the outcome:

- I now see all the .MPG movies when selecting the source with these movies
- when I select any of them, the image is fine but the audio is terrible and apparently sot synced with the video
- on my iMac, these files show as Multiplexed MPEG - 1/2. Does that mean it won't play in XBMC?

- one major change I noticed with this XBMC beta version is that now when playing any movie, when I press the Play/Pause button on the remote, it pauses, where as before it would bring a transparent Menu with the movie playing, where I could do several things, like changing the subtitle, fastforward 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, etc. Did this disappear?
- another thing that changed was while playing a movie, if I'd press Menu button in the remote, I would continue playing the movie, and I could browse the XBMC menu. Now it simply goes back to the previous Menu and stops the movie...

Regards

xbmc.log again to why image is fine but the audio is not synced with the video.

IR remote keyhandling changed. Play (Hold) to bring up the OSD.
Hi, here's the link again

http://pastebin.com/m14ddd6b2

BUT this morning all the .MPG movies played WELL with the audio synced!!!! Didn't do anything at all. Any ideas as to what might have happened.
I see in the log that there are still Audio errors.

Thanks for the tip on holding the play to bring up the OSD.

You guys have also changed the way ot handles when I press the Menu button during playback, correct? Before the movie would continue playing and I could browse through the menus, where as now it stops the movie, correct?

Another thing I noticed is the timestamp on the lop - I'm in Brazil and I have just pasted the xbmc.log file, but the timestamp shows 21:43h and now here is brazil is 08:43

Regards
hi again,
Just after sending you the reply, I renamed most of the MPG movies and guess what,now all the movies are they way they were last night - video and audio no synced.

Here is the xbmc.log taken this last second, even though it seems like it's the same as before, as the timestamp is the apparently the same...

http://pastebin.com/d3e434e40
Hello again,
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I forgot that I have 2 AppleTVs at home and I was loging into the wrong one, which has the 9.04.1 version.

Here is the log from the one that was updated last night with the latest version and the one that we have been discussing - before doing the CAT on the XBMC.log file, I played 2 or 3 .MPG files and for my surprise it played well this time again - but sometimes the video stops and the displays "buffering..." on the screen.

http://pastebin.com/d72810704

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't play .MPG movies on XBMC running on Apple TV0