Difference between "update library" and "scan for new content"
Hello all!

See topic. This is probably a lame question, but I indeed could not find a definite answer to this in the Wiki or Forum. Hmm...

So, could you please forgive me and someone please explain to me what the exact difference is? What kind of (new) files are found by "update" but not by "scan", or the other way round?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Kind regards, Frank

Kodi: LibreELEC Beta
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 2 (Model B)
TV: Toshiba 47"
NAS: Debian Jessie x64 (Gigabyte GA-D510UD), HDD 3x1.5 TB + 1x2 TB (SnapRAID, MergerFS)
"update library" rechecks all scanned directories for new content.

"scan for new content" only checks the directory selected.
Thanks noumenon! Smile

I suppose "scanned directories" refers to media "sources" for that I have set a "content", correct?

During my tests a few weeks ago I found that "Update library" did not reliably pick up e.g. new season subdirs in a TV series. But yesterday that worked correctly, so the previous problems might have been in an SVN release that I tested. So, all is well and no bug report. Smile

And: XBMC is really really cool! I was using a Popcorn Hour 100 media player before and was seriously disappointed about its firmware coders, who blatantly ignore user requests for certain bugfixes, but instead concentrate on their new model. Which they released to market also with a firmware that's beta at best. Never again. HTPC+XBMC rules.
Kind regards, Frank

NAS: Debian Jessie x64 (Gigabyte GA-D510UD), HDD 3x1.5 TB + 1x2 TB (SnapRAID, MergerFS)
It's not that simple, basically scan for new will only check the selected object for new stuff, be it you complete movie collection or a single TV show.
In Library mode you can highlight a single TV show and scan for new.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks sho!

I was referring to noumenon's line
Quote:"update library" rechecks all scanned directories for new content.

"Scanned directories" in this context means media sources that I have set a content for?
Kind regards, Frank

correct.
Suffice to say for new users/average Jo, the learning curve on the complexities of XBMC is more that apparent.

I guess at some point one day the whole library thing would have to be revisited, unless you really geek up and get lots of forum time most of the Library thing is intimidating at best.
garyi Wrote:Suffice to say for new users/average Jo, the learning curve on the complexities of XBMC is more that apparent.

I guess at some point one day the whole library thing would have to be revisited, unless you really geek up and get lots of forum time most of the Library thing is intimidating at best.

I don't think it is really that bad:
a) make sure your movies/tv shows are named in what I consider a 'logical' way - with their name and some identifying information.
b) 'set content' for each directory according to what is in it. let the scan run.
c) do an update for the entire library, or a specific folder (according to the conversation above) when you add new content.

Not sure anything really needs to be 'revisited'. If you can install XBMC you should be able to figure that out. Just my opinion though.
robweber Wrote:I don't think it is really that bad:
a) make sure your movies/tv shows are named in what I consider a 'logical' way - with their name and some identifying information.
b) 'set content' for each directory according to what is in it. let the scan run.
c) do an update for the entire library, or a specific folder (according to the conversation above) when you add new content.

Not sure anything really needs to be 'revisited'. If you can install XBMC you should be able to figure that out. Just my opinion though.

Whilst it seems logical to me, my brother in law just went through the setup, and he thought it was crazy. I tend to agree. This was his path of action (in Aeon skin):

1. Add Source (No provision of setting content at the same time.)
2. Set Content (Didn't see or select the option to run automated scan).
3. Go to Movies or TV Shows section in Aeon - Library is empty. You must populate it via Videos.

I think it would be more logical if Add Source and Set Content were combined (or maybe a popup after adding a source, asking if you want to Set Content), and if when you entered an Empty Library, rather than telling you to populate it via the files view, there was an option to call 'Update Library' so that if you've previously Set Content, your library can be populated from the Library window.
Like others have hinted at in previous discussions, I think the web server could be used to simplify this issue of adding media to the librarys.

I myself don't really see it as an issue but Ive been using xbmc for a long time and have forgotten what it was like to be starting out.
garyi Wrote:Suffice to say for new users/average Jo, the learning curve on the complexities of XBMC is more that apparent.

Unfortunately I agree with you.

robweber Wrote:I don't think it is really that bad:...

Speaking as a big daily IRC helper specifically to do with Library, regex et al I can say for certain for alot of user it really is that bad.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
The average Jo [sic] can fortunately be blissfully unaware of the nuances of "update library" vs "scan for new content".
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Would some of the confusion be reduced if there was some renaming done?

Scan all sources for new content (aka Update Library)
Remove deleted content from library (aka Clean Library)
I think that Library mode and the scrapers provide an awesome experience and have had this b3e a major point of confusion for my two friends who tried out XBMC after seeing my rig. It would be nice if there was a bit more of a "wizard" type functionality (which could be disabled for advanced users) when adding sources. Maybe somebody has already requested that feature.

I think the Confluence skin being the new default may on it's own help out a lot because it has the "set content" option quite visible when adding sources (unlike PM3.HD and Aeon).

-Chris
wizards are the illicit spawn of satan's grandma and not a solution to anything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference between "update library" and "scan for new content"0