Forced library recognition from filename for TV shows with unscrapable episodes.
I think this would be a really handy additional option for XBMC.

I have recently run into this problem with a couple of shows. The show is scraped correctly - ie XBMC creates tv show information (tvshow.nfo if exported) fanart and banners are all scraped no probs.

However, thetvdb.com does not have many episodes listed for these shows, so new episodes just won't show up in XBMC.

It seems a little unnecessarily restrictive to me that TV shows episodes can ONLY show up in XBMC library if they can be scraped form an external source.

The feature I'm requesting would let the user chose a different action for specific shows:

Let's say "SHOW A" has been scraped correctly, so I have fanart, banner, and show info all displaying nicely in XBMC. However, "SHOW A" episodes are not well listed on any of the scrape sites. I would love to toggle an option to "force filename recognition for this show"

In other words, for this show, all files found in the "SHOW A" folder, with "SHOW A" in the filename will be shown as "filename" in the library.

I hope I explained that clearly....it seems to me that this would be a great addition to XBMC, shouldn't be too complicated, and would prevent users having to resort to file mode to view shows without much scraper support.

Big Grin
Alternately, you could fix the entries at theTVdb so that your episodes (and everyone else's) would show up properly.
Totally agree with you for most shows - however it simply isn't practical for daily soaps or daily reality shows which you would want to watch before finding out any info...

It may be a really crappy show which I want to watch, for which I wouldn't expect anyone in the world to take the time to update daily, but which I would still like to turn up in my XBMC library every day after being auto-downloaded Smile
Please excuse the small bump for this....Does nobody else think this would be a fantastic idea that shouldn't be too hard to implement?
kiboy6 Wrote:Please excuse the small bump for this....Does nobody else think this would be a fantastic idea that shouldn't be too hard to implement?

You could off course use the file browser for these...however, i see your point Smile
kiboy6 Wrote:Please excuse the small bump for this....Does nobody else think this would be a fantastic idea that shouldn't be too hard to implement?

patch welcome
euphoric Wrote:You could off course use the file browser for these...however, i see your point Smile

Thanks Smile Yeah, I do end up using file browser, but diving in and out of file browser just isn't that slick, nor is it particularly girlfriend friendly.

Glad to hear a voice of agreement though....

spiff Wrote:patch welcome

I agree....one day I may be able to work on such a thing myself, for now I'll have to do with hopeless begging Laugh

Unless of course someone with the skills happens to agree with me that this is an obvious potential improvement to XBMC's TV library system....
my point is, in that case, you have no background to decided what is simple to implement or not.

also; this is on the long term plan.
spiff Wrote:my point is, in that case, you have no background to decided what is simple to implement or not.

also; this is on the long term plan.

Fair enough, I can see how that could be annoying Smile

And great to hear that it's on the long term plan Smile
I agree this would be a nice addition, although I think it'd be better if the files in the "SHOW A" folder didn't also have to have "SHOW A" in their filename to be displayed under "SHOW A" in the library. Simply being in the "SHOW A" folder should be enough, and then the filenames could just have the season/episode numbers and episode title (or really, anything you want, since the filename would be displayed as is).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Forced library recognition from filename for TV shows with unscrapable episodes.0