Multiple XBMC installs sharing the same DB
Hi

I have been running plexapp (fork of xmbc for OSX), but I am looking at coming back to XBMC, because I have another PC with linux on it.

My scenario is I have max with all the media files on it, running Debian amd64, connected to flat screen. I used to ssh into it and play videos that way. Now I am looking at installing XBMC in here and using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I also have a minimac connected to a projector in the lounge room where I usually watch all my stuff.

What I want to know is can I share the XBMC DB between these 2 machine - if so how - what do I need to share it!
bump, no one tried this ?
It's not recommended. Your best bet is to export your database to single files and simply reimport on the other machine.

There is a patch on trac to allow a remote library (as far as the metadata goes at least) but I don't think it supports remote thumbnails as yet.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

There was some talk started last year and I believe more work is going to start after Camelot is finished. I could be wrong though.

Check out this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37449

I'm very interested in this as well - currently have two systems running XBMC Live and would love to have the watched status sync'd.

-Markus
I was actually thinking more along the lines of nfs exporting one .xbmc (the linux one ) and mounting it on the mac osx on.

Not sure if SQLite would handle that. Plus the pathing would potentially be different - depends on if its relative or fix
SQLite hates Windows Samba shares (from me trying to do a remote/shared DB), but seems okay with a SMB share on FreeNAS. I would think NFS would also be a possibility, but teh DB uses absolute paths (to my understanding), so they would have to have the same SMB shares available.

-Markus
markus101 Wrote:SQLite hates Windows Samba shares (from me trying to do a remote/shared DB), but seems okay with a SMB share on FreeNAS. I would think NFS would also be a possibility, but teh DB uses absolute paths (to my understanding), so they would have to have the same SMB shares available.

-Markus

the pathing would be possible, but reading the other share it seems like nfs and sqlite locking might not be... and i would probably run both xmbc's at the same time Sad

thoght it might be worth a try.
I would actually want to do this exact thing. Running two xbmc, with one accessing the others database and video files remotely. Both systems in my case run Linux, with one of them being always on.

Any feedback from people who've tried it and made it work would be more than welcome.

I know that running xbmc with its database over nfs shouldn't be a problem if it's the only instance writing to the database. (So I could implement start/stop scripts that check if the other xbmc is running and deal with that accordingly, but then I could just as well copy over the database completely...)

But ideally I'd like to be able to run both xbmc at the same time. I know sqlite doesn't have an issue with that itself, it only has a problem doing this over nfs. (Nicely explained here: http://old.nabble.com/SQLite-on-NFS-cach...55701.html)

I wonder if samba would work better? (Pure linux-samba between two boxes only.) What options should I use in my smb.conf concerning locking for this to work without running the risk of breaking the db?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple XBMC installs sharing the same DB0