[LINUX] Remote works without LIRC ? I am absolutely confused.
Hi all,

I just upgraded to XBMC 9.11 Beta1 on Ubuntu Karmic and my cheap MCE replica remote works without LIRC being installed ? How can that be? Did I miss something?

Actually I wanted to use the receiver dongle only of that remote ...

Code:
Sorry I cannot give a brand name for it because it got none
this is it http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250526424709
and the dongle identifies with:

---------------------------------------
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=0755 Product=2626 Version=0100
N: Name="Cyp Se esky.cc iR_USB"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:04.0-4/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/usb3/3-4/3-4:1.0/input/input4
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd mouse1 event4
B: EV=10001f
B: KEY=837fff 2c3027 bf004444 0 0 70001 c04 a27c000 a67bfa d941dfed e0beffdf 1cfffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: REL=43
B: ABS=1 0
B: MSC=10
--------------------------

... for my Onkyo RC-710M (SX606 receiver). But actually no matter which programming
I used for the Onkyo remote neither IRW nor IRRECORD showed up anything so I tried with INPUTLIRC but no results there too. At the end I messed up everything and it didn´t even work with the original remote. So I removed the lirc packages to start from scratch.

In between I started xbmc and noticed that the original remote is working ? WT?

Anyway this is good but not perfectly what I want because some keys don´t work and I still want to use the onkyo remote.

But how is that possible anyway. I thought XBMC requires LIRC to handle remotes ?

- tequila
it's pretending to be a keyboard and send keypresses. evil evil evil device.
Yep same as my remote.

USB Keyboard & Mouse support.
hmm any idea how to map the non-working buttons to xbmc useful ones ?
it is like 60% of the buttons can be used, the rest is doing nothing atm
You can try, but I'm pretty sure you will end up buying a real MCE remote (there are plenty to get for a few $s at Ebay...).
Actually I don´t even want to use this remote or any other, I want to use my onkyo receiver remote but I have no clue how to get it to run with that IR dongle Undecided
It probably wont, at least not very easily. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself one of these instead.
tequila Wrote:Actually I don´t even want to use this remote or any other, I want to use my onkyo receiver remote but I have no clue how to get it to run with that IR dongle Undecided

The problem is that your device is reconized as an keyboard. Most people with these type of remotes end up buying a remote that is reconized as a real remote.

I used my onkyo remote earlier for the same thing. Mine was able to learn ir commands. If yours can, you can learn the commands from the other remote and use the onkyo instead. If you can live without lirc, than this can work.

an beter alternative would be using lirc instead of keyboard driver automatically used for your new remote receiver. Lirc offers more options and configuration possibilities. I've read you can disable the remote-keyboard driver and force to use a lirc friendly driver on these kind of remotes. So its not impossible only more work.
Main pc: P3-333 daimond viper
why not just map the remote buttons as a keyboard? why add the complexity of lirc? we all actually look for these remotes that act as a keyboard.

you can xmodmap, or even just use your xorg.conf file for simple changes. just remember to seperate your main keyboard from the remote, if you dont use a keyboard much then its not a big deal.
I've got the same kind of onkyo remote RC-710M as tequila and I too would love to be able to use that remote to control my HTPC aswell.

Atm I'm using my SonyEricsson phone to control my HTPC, and it works ok, but the phone's bluetooth range is quite limited. The onkyo remote has many buttons, can operate in different modes (it's made to control several devices I think) and works great, which is why it would be nice to use that single remote to control both the HTPC and receiver at the same time with one single remote.

That receiver you posted biggles, it'll only work for MCE-remotes I guess?

I used to have a home made serial receiver that worked great but I lost it when I moved, and that guy doesn't make receivers anymore. You guys have any tips on where to get such a universal receiver?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=805876

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Remote works without LIRC ? I am absolutely confused.0