XBMC Live doesnt start
did a apt-get update and upgrade and noticed new stuff for xbmc and once i upgraded everything is working fine for me now.
Is there any fix for this problem?

I have tried to upgrade to Beta 2 today but can't get it to start..
I've reinstalled ubuntu and grabbed the PPA again but it doesn't start, when I run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xbmc-live I get;
Code:
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xbmc-live is broken or not fully installed.

After that I tried 'apt-get -f install' and got;
Code:
Setting up xbmc-live (1:9.11~beta2-karmic1) ...
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/xbmc-live missing LSB information
update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
start: Unknown job: xbmc-live
invoke-rc.d: initscript xbmc-live, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing xbmc-live (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-live
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Stuck for what to try now Huh
Smile 
I discovered that the xbmc-live startup script won't start xbmc unless there is an autostart xbmc option on the kernel command line. BUT, part of the karmic update includes grub2, and any time that you install a new kernel (which will often happen when doing updates) it overwrites the new /boot/grub/grub.cfg and lose the settings in there that autostart xbmc.

What you need to do is ether add xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume to the end of the kernel lines in /boot/grub/grub.cfg or add it to the appropriate part in the script /etc/grub.d/10_linux
There is also a loglevel=0 option that may need to be added. Other than this, you may also need to check your graphics drivers, a "ps aux" will show you if the X server is trying to start (and so the xbmc=autostart... stuff isn't needed) or if the Xserver isn't even trying to run. More specifically, if the script runXBMC isn't in the process list (run ps aux|grep runXBMC to see) then you need the xbmc=autostart option, and probably the nodiskmount and the setvolume options. When you install xbmc-live from the cd, these are all setup, until a kernel upgrade occurs.

Hope this helps people get it sorted out. It /may/ change with the next xbmc-live release, but for now it should work. There is a commit to the git tree 11 days ago that helped me work it out. http://gitorious.org/xbmc/xbmc/commit/a4...9a85b2df67

Hope that helps someone.

Tim
Is there a fix for this yet? I'm still having this problem with my installation.
Question 
TylerBrock Wrote:Is there a fix for this yet? I'm still having this problem with my installation.

Tyler, have you tried adding xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount to the end of the kernel line (ether in grub when you boot up, or in /boot/grub/grub.cfg)Huh
Yep, that is all there. Any other thoughts?
TylerBrock Wrote:Yep, that is all there. Any other thoughts?

Is xbmc-live starting up if you login to the system with the user that you installed xbmc-live with?

For me XBMC-live starts up when I log in with my sudo user.

Killing the xbmc live with:
Code:
/etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop
and starting it under the xbmc user with:
Code:
xinit xbmc
works just fine.

I consider not to use xbmc-live and make some autologin with the xbmc user.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live doesnt start1