Noob's Installation Help - XBMC on 9.10
Hey all,

I've searched the forums high and low for the answer to this, however, I came up empty. I believe that I've followed all of the XBMC instructions to the letter to install into the new 9.10 Karmic Koala build, and I have to admit I'm also a Linux newbie. I'm going to have to rely on your expertise here to point me in the right direction.

From the instruction page, here:

Quote:
  • From the Desktop, click System -> Administration -> Software Sources.
  • Click the "Third Party Sofware" tab.
  • Click "Add" for each of the following. For the Apt line type the following, substituting "jaunty" for your version:
  • Click "Close". If you see a GPG Error upon closing the window, not to worry. That will be handled in the next step
Now, as per the above, I changed "jaunty" to "karmic" for both lines, so they now read as such: Once complete, I did not receive the GPG error it mentioned, but I still continued on to the next stage.

Quote:
  • Click here to view the PGP key
  • Select the text from the beginning of the keyblock to the end (including those lines)
  • Copy that text to the clipboard (Edit -> Copy)
  • Open your text editor from Applications -> Text Editor.
  • Paste the key contents (Edit -> Paste)
  • Save the document in your home folder as xbmc-ppa.key
  • Reopen Software Sources, this time choosing the "Authentication" tab.
  • Click "Import Key File" and choose the newly created xbmc-ppa.key and press OK.
If you wish to import the key via terminal, use enter the following: sudo apt-key add xbmc-ppa.key
I did the above, and herein lies a question... I used the "gedit Text Editor" to save the following "xbmc-ppa.key" file:

Code:
[b]Public Key Server -- Get ``0x9f10e6ae9317790e ''[/b]

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: SKS 1.0.10
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=awMe
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Now, I'm not certain if I required the first line or not, as I believe I should only require everything starting with "-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK", but I did try it with both keys. (No, not at the same time. When the first one failed, I completely removed all of the entire XBMC packages, and tried again with a different key file.)

Quote:Now that the repo and key have been added, install XBMC like any other program.
  • Click System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager
  • Click "Reload"
  • Search for "xbmc"
  • Mark xbmc and xbmc-standalone for installation and mark additional changes when prompted.
  • Click "Apply" and agree to the changes after reading them.
XBMC is now installed and ready for use.
Now, everything *seems* to be working now, and the program is found in the proper spot. When I click on it to run it, there's minimal hard drive activity, and then it stops. The program never starts.

I just recieved a note that my post is too long, so I will include an error log dump in the next post...

(continued)
Hmm, as it turns out, I can't link the log, as it's too big. I'm not certain on how to physically attach it, but I can upload it to my website if it's required.

Can anyone help me out here? Do I need to upload the log?

Rick // DurhamDev
Ok, I notice that my post has had 57 views, but I'm really interested in seeing what I should be doing in this case. I'm leaning towards the PGP key being bad, or something in my process, but I could really use a nice push in the right direction.

Anyone?

Rick // DurhamDev
Ah! Maybe this is my solution! After reading this thread, I find an instruction that isn't on the standard installation page... It says:

Code:
2) Add keys
    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 318C7509 9317790E
        For svn
        sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 318C7509 64234534

Now I read through my Error Log (you know, the one too long to post) and I'm sure I saw something about the code "9317790E" in there... So, it's possible (in my head) that it's looking for these keys which aren't being seen. I think I'll try what's mentioned in the thread, and see if that helps.

Will post back. If anyone reads this, and agrees with me (or doesn't) I would really appreciate the feedback!

Rick // DurhamDev
Okay, as I understand, you have XBMC installed, but it does not start.

But now, step by step:
I think you just mistyped, but in your first post you have an error in the sources, in deb-src you mixed jaunty and karmic. Make sure that you have the right one in your sources list.

The keys should not interfere with the installation of a program, as far as I know. It is just annoying that you have an error message after every update-check.

As you have already found out, it might be easier to add the key via command line, but the commands you have found are for Jaunty.
Check this page for the key under technical details about this PPA: Launchpad

Except a possible mistype in the sources list, this should not interfere with the execution, but I am not the expert too.
whoelse Wrote:Okay, as I understand, you have XBMC installed, but it does not start.

But now, step by step:
I think you just mistyped, but in your first post you have an error in the sources, in deb-src you mixed jaunty and karmic. Make sure that you have the right one in your sources list.

The keys should not interfere with the installation of a program, as far as I know. It is just annoying that you have an error message after every update-check.

As you have already found out, it might be easier to add the key via command line, but the commands you have found are for Jaunty.
Check this page for the key under technical details about this PPA: Launchpad

Except a possible mistype in the sources list, this should not interfere with the execution, but I am not the expert too.

Wow, you're right. Did I ever mistype that. They should have read:
Oops.

I think you're right - I need to do a bit more digging, and stick with the command line interface if I can. I'll continue to check in and see what I can find out.

Thanks for the info!

Rick // DurhamDev
Did you mistype here in the forum or on your PC?

You had:
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 318C7509 9317790E
I have no idea what the 318C7509 stands for. The PPA page tells me that it should look like that
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 91E7EE5E
afterwards you have to
sudo apt-get update
whoelse Wrote:Did you mistype here in the forum or on your PC?

Actually, for that one, it was on the link I had posted above... So, someone else had made the mistake, however, it's awesome that I now have the proper info.

Thanks again!

Rick // DurhamDev

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob's Installation Help - XBMC on 9.100