Keeping your media on the same drive as your XBMCLive installation
I was just wondering what the general guidance is on this one.

Currently I have XBMCLive Alpha2 installed on my Acer Revo 500GB HDD. All my music and videos are stored on a hard drive on a separate machine and shared via Samba.

I was thinking of copying over all my music and videos and pictures to the Revo's hard drive (~300GBs in total) so I can have a truly portable HTPC solution, and just to ease network traffic on my local network, and you know, for funsies (then using rysnc to keep the folder updated).

However, if XBMC is gonna follow the release cycle of Ubuntu and update every 6 months, would this be kinda silly and would it require me to copy over everything again every six months?

Or would an apt-get update/upgrade/install XBMC be all I ever needed to do once a new stable version is released and it would never touch the media? I have been a regular user of Ubuntu since 8.10, but have only ever upgraded via CD, never via apt-get upgrade yet.

I would bung all the media on a new partition if I could, which I guess would be the ideal solution, but from what I have read so far, the XBMCLive installer doesn't allow you to choose manual partitioning and thus an ISO install of XBMCLive would wipe everything on the drive.....
try again, Beta1 has a new installer allowing total control on partitioning.
If you assign /home to a separate partition you will not have any issue in upgrading to a newer release.
l.capriotti Wrote:try again, Beta1 has a new installer allowing total control on partitioning.
If you assign /home to a separate partition you will not have any issue in upgrading to a newer release.

AWESOME, this is what I wanted to hear.

I will give it a go when I have the time.

Cheers Wink
Sweet. Gonna use this to help a friend build a Christmas present

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keeping your media on the same drive as your XBMCLive installation0