Seemless / Gapless video playback when use file-stacking with XBMC's DVDPlayer?
(2014-02-02, 10:32)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-02-02, 08:49)NKbmc Wrote: So... is this possible with DVDPlayer as maruchan asks, pls suggest

Been possible and done for many years now. I believe gaps mainly show up for videos that aren't of similar encoding settings. XBMC doesn't even use mplayer anymore.

Hi Ned Scott,
Thanks for the reply,
I agree with mplayer not being used now, DVDPlayer is the default video player,

Please help me understand, I have a folder with of about 5 MTS files recorded with same camcorder (all with exact same settings), all recorded in a span of 20 mins, what I am trying to say is I believe these have exact same encodings,

yet once the first video is completed, the xbmc player shows a 'loading dialog' for about 2+ seconds and then plays the next one - this gives an impression that the files are not stacked or the consecutive files are not pre-buffered (when first one about to complete),
I have years of video folders when showing them off to my family, using my favorite player xbmc, it is quite noticeable (actually annoying for some).

FYI, xbmc and videos are in the same machine with latest XBMC
I also have videos over the LAN where the lag more noticeable - it is ok if there r problems for videos in LAN (thou it will be gr8 to have that work too), but atleast while in same m/c I am hoping the videos can play seamlessly.

I am more than willing to contribute to implement changes if required, though I come from Java bkground,
First and foremost, as you mentioned, if this is already working in some ways that I don't know (like many others in the forum) we don't want to reinvent the wheel right.

thanks much in advance,
Naresh
How are the files named? When using file stacking (wiki) they should be gapless.
Sorry, my bad. My test case was just loading really fast, but was not actually gapless.
XBMC currently only have gapless music playback capability with audioplayer, not gapless video playback capability.

See discussion in this other thread for more information http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=178642
(2013-11-24, 01:51)davilla Wrote: Hard to do, you really need two instances of DVDPlayer and that mean if you are planning on using hardware decode, your decode must be able to handle two or more instances. The number of hardware decoders that are capable of doing this is very small.
(2014-01-30, 20:03)Memphiz Wrote:
(2013-11-22, 15:31)divisionmd Wrote: Joakim Plate had a brash were he was going to do this - but he does not have time for this - can someone else pickup were he left and finish this?
not sure but this might be the branch divisionmd was talking about:

https://github.com/elupus/xbmc/tree/seamless
Like davilla noted, unless you are using software decoding on a fast CPU then you are going to need hardware that can decode two or more instances at once, like for example Intel CE5300 series.

I guess a forum moderation should really just be merged that thread into this thread
(2014-02-02, 21:16)Ned Scott Wrote: Sorry, my bad. My test case was just loading really fast, but was not actually gapless.
Hi Ned,
I have tested and confirmed that File Stacking does not do gapless play,
Just to be on same page,
Basically File stacking solves a slightly different requirement, it can be used to group multiple parts of same movie (only movies) which follow some pattern in there name movie_1.mov, movie_2.move, this helps to show one Movie title by grouping multiple parts. I have tried file stacking of movies - as it plays back these movie parts it still plays them one at a time.
Please let me know if I am mistaken.

thanks
RockerC,

An user configurable option for software decoding would be great (*settings.xml option should suffice)
I am not sure how much of work has gone into 'https://github.com/elupus/xbmc/tree/seamless' - is this completed? (even if it works only for minimum functionality/formats )
I would like get together and work this thru but would need some input in getting started and designing a solution.
Please suggest,

thanks
you can already configure software decoding only. just turn off all HW decoders.
(2014-02-10, 12:23)wsnipex Wrote: you can already configure software decoding only. just turn off all HW decoders.

It's possible to do this in raspberry pi?!
(2014-09-22, 21:27)vitorcarvalhoml Wrote:
(2014-02-10, 12:23)wsnipex Wrote: you can already configure software decoding only. just turn off all HW decoders.

It's possible to do this in raspberry pi?!

You will need a build that uses dvdplayer instead of omxplayer, but frankly it won't be fun to watch a 720p video at 1.5fps Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Seemless / Gapless video playback when use file-stacking with XBMC's DVDPlayer?0