[Feature Request] Custom Home Menu items - in Settings
Lightbulb 
TRAC Ticket #7906

I just switched from Aeon to this skin, I really like it - thank you.

I have several Sources that are custom: Home Videos, Video Books, etc - each requiring Files view, not Library mode.

My request is to have the Settings UI enable creating custom home menu items. This is VERY helpful for wives, friends, kids, guests, etc to ease navigation so you don't have the explain to them how to get to each folder, or do it for them (which is not viable if you are not home).

Thank you for considering.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
The issue I have with this is it generally requires knowledge on the internal skinning engine and how XBMC references windows and shares which makes it complicated for the average user.

The burdon of the default skin is that it has to walk that fine line between every new user being able to understand everything in it and looking nice.

There are many many things I would like to add but most of them require people to add in extra scripts or know more than they should. but unfortuantly I have to way up my personal desire with what I know is easy to use
Jezz_X Wrote:The issue I have with this is it generally requires knowledge on the internal skinning engine and how XBMC references windows and shares which makes it complicated for the average user.

The burdon of the default skin is that it has to walk that fine line between every new user being able to understand everything in it and looking nice.

There are many many things I would like to add but most of them require people to add in extra scripts or know more than they should. but unfortuantly I have to way up my personal desire with what I know is easy to use

Jezz,
I don't see any new or added complexity for users...

Users must already setup Sources. All I'm asking is that in Settings, there is a section (probably where you can already turn on/off menu items) that allows a user to "Add Custom Menu Items" - and the prompt asks you to choose an existing Source, and then choose a Label (for display on the Home menu).
browsing for sources isn't doable yet pretty sure
I agree that this would be a great addition. Even better would be an option to either choose a source or a script as a menu item. I know my not-as-technical family members would find this as a great simplification.
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't this the whole point of the favourites menu ?
Jezz_X Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't this the whole point of the favourites menu ?

Favorites does not place custom buttons directly on the Home menu, thus is it not usable... again, you need to "teach" friends, family, guests, how to use it.

The whole point of this request is to make it simple to add custom Home menu items so ANYONE can use them just by viewing the Home screen, without any direction from the owner.

With the ability to add custom script buttons and such, I'd think this would not be any great stretch to add.
yeah I now but my point it its not simple to add them.

As it currently stands I can not let users browse for shares and plugins. So they will have to manually enter stuff like Activate.Window(VideoFiles,HomeVideos) into a text box to make a link to it. And if they have to do that they may as well just edit the home.xml.

I'm not saying its a bad Idea I'm just saying its not as easy as you think to randomly add and remove items from the main menu. because everyone will also need a background and the ability to set them as well. And until they can actually browse through the share tree for paths they also need to know how xbmc references things.
And that is somthing I'm not going to add for a default skin thats suppossed to be noob freindly

So yes Using them might be easy but making them is not
Jezz_X Wrote:yeah I now but my point it its not simple to add them.

As it currently stands I can not let users browse for shares and plugins. So they will have to manually enter stuff like Activate.Window(VideoFiles,HomeVideos) into a text box to make a link to it. And if they have to do that they may as well just edit the home.xml.

I'm not saying its a bad Idea I'm just saying its not as easy as you think to randomly add and remove items from the main menu. because everyone will also need a background and the ability to set them as well. And until they can actually browse through the share tree for paths they also need to know how xbmc references things.
And that is somthing I'm not going to add for a default skin thats suppossed to be noob freindly

So yes Using them might be easy but making them is not

I would even take the option that requires the exact statement...
Since only advanced users will use it anyway can you add this in a way so it is hidden? Even if it is not ideal it is better than not having it... maybe put it in advanced settings or the GUIsettings so we need to manually add it? It would still have us from manually editing each skin update Smile
yes, this would be a very good idea. I have several different categories of video files.
Podcasts, HD movies, SD movies, Disney (for my kid) Eek , Documentaries.

it would be really nice if i could separate them to keep things clean.
BluScrnOdeth Wrote:yes, this would be a very good idea. I have several different categories of video files.
Podcasts, HD movies, SD movies, Disney (for my kid) Eek , Documentaries.

it would be really nice if i could separate them to keep things clean.

post a comment in the TRAC tool to lend your support Nod
whats the TRAC tool? i'm new to this forum. Smile
BluScrnOdeth Wrote:whats the TRAC tool? i'm new to this forum. Smile

http://trac.xbmc.org/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] Custom Home Menu items - in Settings0