• 5(current)
[RELEASE] Alaska (pre-Dharma)
grupy Wrote:Does Alaska work on XBOX platform?

I havent been browsing these forms for quite sometime when there was talk of no future builds on the XBOX so I thought I would inquire as this was definitely the skin I was looking to test out and use on a permanent basis.

Congrats to Hitcher and everyone else that helped to make this skin a reality!

I am using it on my XBOX, it works with some limitations...

The main menu will miss some icons with alska style 1 (is style the right word?) due to lack of memory, but style 3 (no main menu icons) works fine. Might be able to reduce the size of the pictures to solve this?

For movies, the poster style views use too much memory to then launch the video, the only view I can use is the FILES view. (Such a shame!).

For TV shows I think I am using the episodes view, which is fine.

Music works in any view very nicely. (Love the music views and the OSD!)

Pictures seem very slow, I can't figure that out (have 15-17mb memory free on the picture screens)

With the last version of the skin I could use the red and blue colour schemes (see colour thread), but not with this version. They load fine, everything looks good, and with debug mode on the free memory is only slightly lower than with no colour scheme, music is fine, BUT when I try and launch any video from any view the system freezes, not sure why. I am hoping I or someone else can solve this, as the skin looks much better with colour.

So, a few things not quite working but the skin is so nice/functional/breazy I am going to stick with it. Hopefully a version will be modded to work 100% with the XBOX in the future.

Oh, this is all with the latest T3CH build for the XBOX (dated 18 Jan I think).
maybe someone could do a more optimised xbox version in the future, its a beautiful skin Smile
RenZ0R Wrote:maybe someone could do a more optimised xbox version in the future, its a beautiful skin Smile

I am keeping my fingers crossed it appears here: http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-xbox-skins/
i appreciate the reply and comments in regards to my question.

I would love for this skin to be optimized for the XBOX as I cant upgrade to a HTPC at this moment but either way, Im glad this skin got released.
dratstab Wrote:I am keeping my fingers crossed it appears here: http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-xbox-skins/

I've uploaded the skin to xbmc-xbox-skin with a Textures.xpr file. This should save a little bit of memory, but it might not be enough. I haven't tested it AT ALL! So please let me know your findings.
I've reduced the weather backdrops size to 960x540.

It's uploaded in the downloads section and repo.

http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-xbox-skins/downloads/list

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Hitcher. You sir are a grade "A" bastard. Just when I get the family used to the default skin you go and release Alaska.
  • Do you know the time I put in?
  • The questions I had to endure?

I'll be sending you a bill for the retraining I'll have to do now that I have to make them use Alaska. Wink

(Obviously a friendly ribbing from an across-the-pond fan. Thank you very much for the work and I vote that this be part of the official release.)
lol Metal... oh dear God the questions!!! :p
I love my Mac Mini :;):
AddictedToMetal Wrote:Do you know the time I put in?
I bet it's nowhere near the time I've put in. Wink
Hitcher Wrote:I bet it's nowhere near the time I've put in. Wink

I bet
overall the new version looks very good.
i'm using xbmc in filemode only. unfortunaly hitcher deleted the poster view for video files. is there any chance to get ist back?
this is the reason why i had to switch to the previous alaska version.
by the way, horizontal cover scrolling for audio folders in filemode would be also very nice.
Bram77 Wrote:I've uploaded the skin to xbmc-xbox-skin with a Textures.xpr file. This should save a little bit of memory, but it might not be enough. I haven't tested it AT ALL! So please let me know your findings.

Thank you very much Bram77!!

Had a quick chance to try it this morning before work, whilst feeding my baby so not the most extensive test, but...

The free memory has gone up, so now style 1 works in the main menu, nice!

Colour theme "night" works fine, but the blue theme causes the system to lock when launching videos, even though xbmc claims there is 16Mb free, odd. Didn't try the red theme.

There is now about 14Mb free in movie poster view, which is just enough to launch the movies, but not quite enough to allow skip forward/back navigation to work during playback. I am running them from a remote NAS box so I'll try adjusting cache settings tonight and also try removing media flags to see if that helps.

One oddity, the icons in the settings screens are now just circles with no symbols?

Music playback is still fine.

I'll test it out further tonight.

Many thanks Hitcher for a great skin and Bram77 for doing the xbox mods so quickly, this is really bringing a bit of sparkle to xbmc on my old outdated technology platform!
Using XBMC since way back, XBMP days!
Bram77 Wrote:I've uploaded the skin to xbmc-xbox-skin with a Textures.xpr file. This should save a little bit of memory, but it might not be enough. I haven't tested it AT ALL! So please let me know your findings.

Yep much appreciated Bram77 - I'll try to get a good test in tonight or over the weekend Cool
rapid_pete Wrote:overall the new version looks very good.
i'm using xbmc in filemode only. unfortunaly hitcher deleted the poster view for video files. is there any chance to get ist back?
this is the reason why i had to switch to the previous alaska version.
by the way, horizontal cover scrolling for audio folders in filemode would be also very nice.
Poster view is already in for files and I've just added Square Posters as well for music.
Hitcher Wrote:I bet it's nowhere near the time I've put in. Wink

Haha. Touché. Smile (kinda walked into that one didn't I?)

Again, awesome work.
thanks hitcher. is it already implemented on git?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Alaska (pre-Dharma)2