• 2(current)
XBMC on Acer Revo 3610 & Windows 7
'I eventually ended up installing MPC-HC as the external player and what a difference, much much smoother! '

I'm probably being a bit thick but how exactly did you do thisHuh
I've been thinking about this a little bit further.

Isn't the whole point of purchasing this machine to utilize the gpu with the ION?

With that said, I will be installing xbmc live and documenting the process in retaining windows 7 as well.

Update: I installed the new nvidia drivers and flash 10.1 and still have audio via hdmi.
anthonyb1985 Wrote:Isn't the whole point of purchasing this machine to utilize the gpu with the ION?

You are totally right.

BUT : I badly wanted to avoid using Linux if possible. I just don't like it.
Not knowing the machine neither Win7, I had to do step-by-step tests to see how the system behaved.

I kinda knew from the start that I would most likely have to use an external player and it is indeed the case.
So far with MPC-HC everything seems just fine.

I have now ordered a MCE remote to push the experience a little further.
Quote:So far with MPC-HC everything seems just fine.

According to this development, it seems that this extension is now supported in win7. If this works out, I believe a very large number of your problems will be solved with running xbmc within 7.

Cheers,
Anthony
It still seems pretty buggy.
I'm confident MPC-HC is more stable right now.
No HDMI audio at all right now. Using the Headphone jack in the front to play the audio (my TV has a analog audio jack for HDMI-1)

(mabe my reason to update to win7)

andyhunt:
Heres a quick howto from another thread:

You should create a playercorefactory.xml in your userdata folder. This works perfectly for me. Except for my mkv's, everything else uses the built-in DVDPlayer. Since I only use DSPlayer for mkv's, this is what mine looks like (I also have MPC-HC in there for testing purposes, but it isn't needed).

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /play /close</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</player>
</players>

<rules>
<rule filetypes="mkv" player="DSPlayer"/>
</rules>

</playercorefactory>

to access other configured players, hit "c" on your keyboard while highlighting a Video and select "Play Using"
Windows 7 - XBMC live Dualboot
Acer Aspire REVO R1600 - PS3 Remote
Nvidia ION LE 230
3GB Ram
My 3610 box had video and sound over HDMI working out of the box.
joebanana Wrote:My 3610 box had video and sound over HDMI working out of the box.

Yes it should work out of the box. The issue some were having was that the sound would drop via hdmi after the new nvidia driver installation.

Partition Update:
I was successful in getting XBMCLive and Windows 7 running on the same machine and dual booting. The only thing I cant figure out is how to access the windows 7 partition within xbmc. Any ideas?
anthonyb1985 Wrote:Yes it should work out of the box. The issue some were having was that the sound would drop via hdmi after the new nvidia driver installation.

Does it make sense to not update to the new drivers and hold off until the problem is fixed then? Any word on if this problem is happening with XP?
ok, just a update, I figured out what was wrong with the HDMI audio.

the new Nvidia Control panel defaults to HDMI no audio pass through. fixed in change resolution in the Nvidia CPL

other than that, the machine is a touch faster in Win7, and (something i failed to mention before) 720p works great, versus the crappy job the XP driver was doing.

(had to have it 1360x768 for text to look good. 1280x720 looked like it was doing bad scaling) (I had no problems with a older Nvidia 5800. they must have changed the drivers in XP somehow)
Windows 7 - XBMC live Dualboot
Acer Aspire REVO R1600 - PS3 Remote
Nvidia ION LE 230
3GB Ram
My R3610 arrived today and I plan to run XBMC and Squeezebox Server on it. Does XBMC on Windows 7 support 720p playback with acceleration on the R3610 or will I have to consider using Ubuntu instead?

Thanks for any help offered.
sneeks Wrote:Does XBMC on Windows 7 support 720p playback with acceleration on the R3610 or will I have to consider using Ubuntu instead?

Not out of the box.

I believe that you can utilize the gpu with this extension.

Another option is installing XBMCLive.
Thanks, I'll read more details on XBMC Live as this may better match my existing Apple TV solution. Can this be run from a memory card or USB drive in order to retain W7 on the main HDD? If doing so will wifi continue to work as I was hoping to use XBMC Remote on my iPhone to control everything?
All you have to do in Win7 is use a player that supports GPU, such as MPC-HC.
Then it works perfectly.
I had hoped to maintain the Library view and scrapers that XBMC on the Apple TV uses but most of my files are SD so I could always use XBMC for those and MPC-HC for the very few HD files I will be watching.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Acer Revo 3610 & Windows 70